Thread: SCV Broadband Wireless Help

Default SCV Broadband Wireless Help

hI guys,

Anyone knows how to install a wireless router for SCV broadband?
    I m trying to go wireless but I dont know anything about it.

Maybe you guys can enlighten me on what brand of router to buy, what else to buy , etc?

THanks

Quote Originally Posted by bigfatfish
    hI guys,

Anyone knows how to install a wireless router for SCV broadband?
    I m trying to go wireless but I dont know anything about it.

Maybe you guys can enlighten me on what brand of router to buy, what else to buy , etc?

THanks
    Try following the following steps:

1. You must have the SCV modem working directly with your notebook, to ensure that it is already enable and working.
    2. buy any brand from Sim Lim Square, don't bother to go for the G version (54Mbps) just go for the B version (10 Mbps). Don't be fool that G is faster than B, because your SCV is only 1.5Mbps. Popular models are Compex, linksys.
    3. Ensure that you have the Wireless receiver in your labtop and it is working.
    4. Unplug the LAN cable (the end that connects to your labtop) to the WAN port of the Wireless accesspoint router.
    5. You are ready to go, but most important, you must reset the power of the cable modem (the unit you got from SCV), you must physically switch off the mains power and on again for the modem to recognise the Wireless accesspoint router.
    6. If you follow the step above, it should works 95% of time, the default setting of the Wireless accesspoint router is good enough for immediate use.
    7. The problem usually is the setup of the labtop computer.
    8. Now that you have got everything working, next step is to secure the network, without securing the network, eveyone nearby can also have free Internet access provided free by you.
    9. You should do a read up on how to set SSID in the AccessPoint Router (AP), then select enable Web key, set the Web key in the AP. Now you have to set the same SSID and Web key in your labtop. This is the part where most people screw up and pay money to ask for help.
    10. If that happen, don't panic, just do a hard reset of the AP, and you are back to Step 6. the play with SSID and WEB again.

This is only a simple guide, you should de a search in the internet to learn the skill.

Hope you have fun. The package of AP and Notebook Wireless receiver cost only about $130.

THat was a damn solid explanation. ok i will try!

PM me if you have any problem.

Wireless G IS faster than B. The fact that both are faster than cable is true, but if you ever plan to network other wireless devices - eg. 2 computers - and transfer large files accross your network, or have multiple users sharing your wireless network, then you may wish to consider G. Also there is currently a serious hardware vulnerability in B that does not exist in G (although the likelihood of this every being a problem is fairly small). If you want the cheapest option then go with B.

I recommend linksys brand, currently I'm running wirelss G with speedbooster. Bought from simlim at the shop with cheapest price. There was about a $100 variance in prices, so shop around and see who has the cheapest.

As for security, do the following:
    • change SSID
    • disable SSID broadcast
    • enable WEP (Wireless Enryption Protocol) or better yet enable WPA (Wireless Protected Access - the replacement to WEP)
    • enable MAC filtering

This will pretty much stop anyone from getting on your network. If you buy linksys, they give you documentation on how to secure your network.
    Last edited by Royce; 11th August 2004 at 09:20 AM.

Default G or B?

Hi Royce,

We can get into a long debate between G and B, but I don't want to get into that. This is like asking someone why they need to buy Fararri in Singapore. No right or wrong answer as long as the owner can affort and willing to put in the money, and he/she feels good about it.

There is a slogan I learnt while I was on business trip to India few years ago "Got Money, No problem".

Cheers, we are both happy owner of our network, that is important and I hope BigFatFish will be soon.

guys , peace peace.

I bought the SMC wireless G.... BARRICADE G. at $88. KANNA TOK or not?
    because down there almost all are G already. Didnt see any B.

Anyway.... i am trying to install. WILL update! THANKS!

OK I surrender. I dont understand whats written on the manual either. Kept saying that my IP add doesnt match that of the Barricade G....

Wonder if its the settings for my CISCO SYSTEMS card, Wireless Barricade G or Laptop settings...

Basically, you will need G if you are linking several computers together. This is useful when you are running applications like gaming or other network data transfer. But if you are not doing any of this, then you can just forgo it.

OK I surrender. I dont understand whats written on the manual either. Kept saying that my IP add doesnt match that of the Barricade G....

Wonder if its the settings for my CISCO SYSTEMS card, Wireless Barricade G or Laptop settings...

I am new too but check if you have your DHCP on the AP set on and on the laptop, set to dynamic IP. In this case, the AP wil assign the IP address to the laptop.

Hope you get it up and working soon

Its working. But the reception isnt fantastic. i live in a 5 room flat but the reception cant reach the living room. The router is in one of the bed rooms.

Any idea how i can improve range?

i'm using wireless too, and my reception suxs too... hahah...

one little trick i use is to not point my antenna directly towards a wall. Let it some room to 'radiate'... Gives a bit of improvement, hope it's not my imagination...

Quote Originally Posted by Royce
    As for security, do the following:
    • change SSID
    • disable SSID broadcast
    • enable WEP (Wireless Enryption Protocol) or better yet enable WPA (Wireless Protected Access - the replacement to WEP)
    • enable MAC filtering
    For those of you facing frequent disconnects, you might want to enable SSID broadcasts instead... I've installed several wireless networks and have only faced 1 such instance..

Here's a good reference
    http://www.thetechmedic.com/index.ht...ngwireless.htm
    Last edited by willyfoo; 13th August 2004 at 06:03 PM.

Its working. But the reception isnt fantastic. i live in a 5 room flat but the reception cant reach the living room. The router is in one of the bed rooms.

Any idea how i can improve range?
    Buy a directional antenna... I got mine from Sim Lim Square about $50-$70 (can't remmeber)... remember to check the socket... or better yet, bring your AP down to test...

Hi BigFatFish,

If your bed room is at extreme end and the living room is at the other end, I am not surprise the signal will be weak at living room. Especially G version has shorter range than B version. The best solution is to install the Wireless AP in the middle of your home.

I am not familar with the model of AP, can't be sure it has external connection for directional antenna, if have then, it might be a solution. Do you know how to check signal strength from your notebook.

If you have enabled network connection icon at the right bottom of the screen, it looks like 2 computer screens. click it and it will show the signal strenght, if it is 1 to 2 bars then the signal is week.

i also got a SMC router, not sure G or B. doesnt matter since the 2 laptops that feed on me are like within 4m away. anyway i feel the speed's slow..but i feel it's due to the cable itself rather than the router.

anyway i frequently get d/c.(use suddenly,cant access net)
    and i use the following to settle the prob.

off the power to modem and router for a few moments
    at msprompt, type ipconfig /release
    type ipconfig /flushdns
    type ipconfig /renew

repeat until i get net connection, usually once will do.

Quote Originally Posted by willyfoo
    Buy a directional antenna... I got mine from Sim Lim Square about $50-$70 (can't remmeber)... remember to check the socket... or better yet, bring your AP down to test...

THanks for the help