Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: MOM staff to get ergonomic chairs

Well let's look at it benefitting the individuals working there rather than the organization being a govt one. At least they get to work in comfort.

Anyway taxpayers money is not really our money since it's been paid. Just like how we don't go to the camera shop where we bought our expensive DSLRs, and demand that the owner rents a shop at a cheap location, live in a small flat and take public transport. The money's theirs and they should be smart enough to use it as they deem fit.

Default Re: MOM staff to get ergonomic chairs

Exercise ball only costs $13.

Last edited by Sion; 27th March 2011 at 04:30 PM.

Are you suggesting people working for the government is less than those working for the private sector? Their helath and work space quality is less important?

Btw, there are no good common brand that is worth the money and cost $200.
    deadpoet
    my portfolio

Quote Originally Posted by Deadpoet View Post
    Are you suggesting people working for the government is less than those working for the private sector? Their helath and work space quality is less important?

Btw, there are no good common brand that is worth the money and cost $200.
    I'm pretty sure they got the price because they are ordering a huge number of chairs. I expect that if you order such a huge amount, you'd receive a huge discount, regardless of the brand you buy. I think it is definitely possible to find very good chairs at $200 (after discount)

My office, we jsut switched to HM. We got rid of one of those knock off brand selling for $200+. They were not only ergonomicaly not very good, they were falling apart. If we bought the HM 2 years ago, we would have saved a bundle.

My point is, if TS and those naysayers, want to sit and suffer in a badly designed and constructed chair, so be it. It is their choice. But, saying that government workers do not deserve a good chair, that is rubbish.
    deadpoet
    my portfolio

I won't disagree that having such chairs is good for the staff of MOM. But...

If they bothered to think in the long run from the start, there won't be much of these issues of them being scrutinised for these costs.

The Gahmen has long been a penny wise, pound foolish organisation and who would believe them when they start thinking of things in the long run??

And even if this is so, would this just be a start? Won't they be needing better work stations and ergonomical keyboards, etc. So how much will they need in the end?? And If you add up all the organisations and stat boards, how much WOULD be needed in the end??

And dun forget, right now we are facing a TOUGH issue of growing inflation costs. Where would this sum of money be better channeled??

It's always easy for them to say that all we have to do is to continue upgrading ourselves, but how much can be done and how fast can we actually KEEP up to the growing costs?
    Michael Lim
    My Flickr Site

In a totally unrelated news.... "SAF will provide HM chairs for NSmen"...

why not we create a mass order of HM chairs and send to mom to add into their order? lol.

You guys should read the entire article. Herman Miller chairs come with a 12 years warranty that covers all parts. $575 over 12 years is not that expensive. Those $100-$200 office chairs can hardly last for 5 years. If they were to buy those cheapo chairs and replace them whenever they break down, it's going to cost more than $575.

Aiya, $271,400 is peanuts to them lah...

My company uses Okamura Contessa. Cost $1000 per piece.
    Kind Regards
    My Picture Website

Quote Originally Posted by Virgo View Post

Sorry dont know what is it?

Any phto?

Quote Originally Posted by Yappy View Post
    Sorry dont know what is it?

Any phto?
    Here you go: http://www.okamura.co.jp/english/pro...ssa/index.html

I still remember when we set up our office, the Japanese designer from Okamura flew down especially from Japan to look at our office.

Don't envy hoh, in life, nothing is free for you to enjoy...
    Kind Regards
    My Picture Website

Quote Originally Posted by Virgo View Post

DBS bank using chairs that cost $2000 per piece. my colleague thought i was over exaggerating , so i brought him to a furniture shop(v.hive) , he was like "wtf",.
    Objection !!!

Quote Originally Posted by coolsigg View Post
    Agree with DP and Kit, $575 for HM chair? where to find? I also want to buy one.

U see those chapalang brand ergo chairs advertised on newspaper already costs $300-400 and I bet none has more comprehensive warranty coverage than a HM chair.

Putting aside whether the $$ can be put to better use etc, looking at the whole issue on its own objectively: Govt ministry needs to buy chairs for the staff. Do they go for the cheapo type ($200-300) whereby they need to change perhaps every 2-3 years or they go for HM, which most of us who use it knows that it can go at least 5 years (if not more), which option is a better use of tax payers' money in the long run?

One issue I forsee is that customers will start asking the HM distributor to reduce the prices as I am 100% sure that others cant buy the HM chair at $575!
    hi there, guess i will irked some here. but well.. anyone interested in getting the HM chair with your own $$? there is currently an "interest check thread in HWZ.
    http://forums.hardwarezone.com.sg/sh...3160920&page=6

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12