Will be assembling a photo-editing rig soon, need to clarify some doubts I have:
Using Windows XP Professional:
1) Do dualies perform significantly better than uniprocs for the same CPU specs?
Eg: Does dual 1GHz perform much better than uniproc 1GHz?
2) Does the answer to above depend on the software being used?
3) Will it make much difference to the performance if I have two HDDs in the system (on separate channels of a PCI SATA card), with one HDD storing all the photos, while the other storing everything else (i.e. OS, software, etc)
4) Performance-wise is 1.5 GB much better than 1 GB? How often do you see a difference in performance between these two, other things being equal?
5) Which is better as a photo-editing rig: Dualie P-III 1 GHz with 1.5 GB PC133 SDRAM on VIA chipset, or Uniproc P4 1.8 GHz with 1.5 GB PC133 SDRAM on Intel 845 chipset, other things being equal?