Thread: my humble chicken shop

Default my humble chicken shop

http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5223/...60f0b91a_b.jpg

this image was taken in a wet market in china in my short 1 week stay there. the shop owner was pretty embarrassed when i took an image of his shop as he kept saying that "its just a small shop, its just a small shop".

i could feel that the felt that there isn't much about his shop as it was "messy and dirty" as according to his standards. but in this moment i pretty much captured his facial expression when he said.

i do not regret posting this image where his eyes are closed as it an expression that is having a mixture humility/ embarrassment/ gladness in it.this comes as it is out of his mind where a foreigner would actually want to take a picture of his chicken shop.

what i ask for are these:
    1. does the picture converse the same feeling and emotion to you?
    2. any improvements that you would recommend?

Default Re: my humble chicken shop

I don't know how you approached the situation, as in how did you go about deciding, planning and executing the shot. I guess you probably didn't rush in and start taking photos left right and center but took a few minutes if not seconds speaking to the owner, chitchat a little while a quick plan should have formulated where you mentally computed exposure and composition. Composition-wise it doesn't seem to have been thought through. His shop can be an interesting place where showing a little less information would have made stronger framing. His closed eyes can be interpreted as a blink actually, if his hands were gesturing it would be a bit more convincing.

I think to focus too much on the condition of hygiene is a bit of a waste. My eyes are drawn to the kid's tricycle and that really takes most of the attention away from the shop cleanliness. Suddenly I'm more interested in who he is rather than where he is.

Technically the reds are saturated and the blown whites in the foreground are too distracting.

This is an interesting subject. However the eggs at the bottom of the pic are blown

Quote Originally Posted by foxtwo View Post
    I don't know how you approached the situation, as in how did you go about deciding, planning and executing the shot. I guess you probably didn't rush in and start taking photos left right and center but took a few minutes if not seconds speaking to the owner, chitchat a little while a quick plan should have formulated where you mentally computed exposure and composition. Composition-wise it doesn't seem to have been thought through. His shop can be an interesting place where showing a little less information would have made stronger framing. His closed eyes can be interpreted as a blink actually, if his hands were gesturing it would be a bit more convincing.

I think to focus too much on the condition of hygiene is a bit of a waste. My eyes are drawn to the kid's tricycle and that really takes most of the attention away from the shop cleanliness. Suddenly I'm more interested in who he is rather than where he is.

Technically the reds are saturated and the blown whites in the foreground are too distracting.
    agreed, reds are saturated- guy looks very sunburnt, whites are overblown- the eggs at the bottom right and maybe you couldve gotten a shot with the man's eyes open.. a subject's eyes help bring out the story in a pic and add more emotion i guess.
    canon fan boy ;D

don't over process your photo. I think you have apply too much saturation and sharpening. The photos do not look good at all.