Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How to know?

Default Re: How to know?

Quote Originally Posted by Mercy77 View Post
    Show your portfolio to someone and see if they are willing to pay $500 for a full day wedding shoot
    many people do want wedding photographers at this rate..... all you need to do is offer this rate and match their expectation.

Shoot to Live, Live to Shoot
    www.benjaminloo.com | iStock portfolio

Show your portfolio to someone and see if they are willing to pay $500 for a full day wedding shoot
    ... as though wedding photography is the only genre by which a photographer's skill can be judged.
    Exploring! :)

Quote Originally Posted by Rashkae View Post
    Nope, the kit lens has nothing to do with basic skill. In fact, you can practice the basic skills even with a cellphone cam or a point and shoot.

don't blame your gear. The kit lens is not bad, no matter what the brand. It's good enough to learn the fundamentals.
    *Like*

I'm a beginner too.. hoping to join more outings (have yet to join my 1st outing) and shoot more..
    Alpha
    Want to get back to photography

Quote Originally Posted by Blue125 View Post
    Yo!

I got one very stupid question here, how do know if you are already in intermediate level or not?

Blue125~
    Don't care what label you call yourself, or what others call you.
    What matters most is that you look at your photos and they make you feel proud or happy that you captured them.
    Good to browse through photo galleries, especially those of reknown photographers, and realize that the learning journey is indeed a long (and sometimes never-ending) one

cheers and keep shooting

Blog Entries

Thing is there are so many genres. A super wedding photographer may not shoot landscape well. A super landscape photographer may not shoot events well. A super street photographer may not shoot macro well. Granted some genres are closer in execution, but in the end a 'title' of intermediate or master or beginner is nothing but an irrelevant label.

Quote Originally Posted by daredevil123 View Post
    ...but in the end a 'title' of intermediate or master or beginner is nothing but an irrelevant label.
    And coming back to TS: it's given by others in recognition of your results. What if you shoot the greatest and most stunning pics on earth but nobody ses them? Nobody there to hand you the 'master' badge.
    EOS

Ya agree that wedding is not the only genre. Am thinking of ways to quantify... For fun n Bo Liao.

It's just too subjective. Different people have different standards for what is a good photo.

How about putting up your best 3 photos on sale in eBay and see if the bid average out to be $20 each?
    Plantwerkz - Beautiful Plants RandomJake- Fun
    Big Life Treats - Gift of Experience

Ya agree that wedding is not the only genre. Am thinking of ways to quantify... For fun n Bo Liao.

It's just too subjective. Different people have different standards for what is a good photo.

How about putting up your best 3 photos on sale in eBay and see if the bid average out to be $20 each?
    if a photo able to sell for $20.00, consider that is already very good price.

let's take your example of shooting wedding for $500.00, if you give the bride 300pieces of photos, it works out your photos only selling at $1.67 each. if just for fun and bo liao, that also have to presume that you have zero cost to shoot a wedding.
    Last edited by catchlights; 23rd March 2011 at 10:54 AM.
    Shoot to Live, Live to Shoot
    www.benjaminloo.com | iStock portfolio

Quote Originally Posted by Octarine View Post
    And coming back to TS: it's given by others in recognition of your results. What if you shoot the greatest and most stunning pics on earth but nobody ses them? Nobody there to hand you the 'master' badge.
    coming to that, i ran into a friend the other day and he looked at me carrying my gear and uttered to me that my photography sucked, adding that his skill (just with a PnS) is much much better than mine.. and i can find them on facebook!

i told him whatever's on my facebook account are old pictures from years back, that i no longer post my DSLR images.. and he rebutted that i'm full of crap.

(ok honestly i don't really like this hypocrite because he always likens himself to be a great person and on par with the likes of Jesus, Moses, Osama, Muhammad and all those renowned people, acts all holy but clubs and insults his good friends with foul language)

and i went to his FB account and LOL-ed at all the "great images"... mostly self-portraits and cam-whoring and images of him. so much for great photography skills.

so i guess. it's pretty much subjective whether others enjoy what you enjoy.

kei,
    agreed on the last point.

as for your 'friend', doesn't seem like much of a friend
    But be careful not to lower yourself down to his level by LOL-ing at his photos. People enjoy photography in many ways, whether it's by award-winning shots or happy snaps of their friends and loved ones

If you really want a numerical gauge.
    Post your photos.
    Have people vote on it.

Quote Originally Posted by ZerocoolAstra View Post
    kei,
    agreed on the last point.

as for your 'friend', doesn't seem like much of a friend
    But be careful not to lower yourself down to his level by LOL-ing at his photos. People enjoy photography in many ways, whether it's by award-winning shots or happy snaps of their friends and loved ones
    yea.. somehow i just feel he steps on all of us to boost his ego and pretty much a attention seeker for self-glorification.
    but when he insulted my technical skill vs his technical skill, well, i just had to see the difference for myself

Quote Originally Posted by kei1309 View Post
    yea.. somehow i just feel he steps on all of us to boost his ego and pretty much a attention seeker for self-glorification.
    but when he insulted my technical skill vs his technical skill, well, i just had to see the difference for myself
    Well, do the next best thing. Unfriend him! Unless you take him to be your most faithful critic...
    Myflickr | Zoom in for the KILL!

Yo!

I got one very stupid question here, how do know if you are already in intermediate level or not?

Blue125~
    There's a critique section in CS. post and get some feedback?
    ...:::..::.Nikon.::.:::..
    RGB Metering & Focusing.

Quote Originally Posted by kriegsketten View Post
    Well, do the next best thing. Unfriend him! Unless you take him to be your most faithful critic...
    well, what to do? he's an army bunk buddy. can't just unfriend him on facebook just because he hates good pictures and only loves pictures with his face in it right?

that'd be pettiness on my part

sorry to OT: i can't believe he even created his own fanpage FOR HIS GOATEE! (and even named the strands of hair!)

well, what to do? he's an army bunk buddy. can't just unfriend him on facebook just because he hates good pictures and only loves pictures with his face in it right?

that'd be pettiness on my part

sorry to OT: i can't believe he even created his own fanpage FOR HIS GOATEE! (and even named the strands of hair!)
    You're the better man. Besides, I think you're also getting some good laughs as well... A win win for you. GOATEE huh?.... why do I get the feeling that peeps with goatees fits into a certain persona? Don't take me seriously, just rambling nonsense... lolz

Back to TS - post pictures. Good or not, you might be able to ascertain your level from the critiques or comments. You need to start somewhere anyway.
    Myflickr | Zoom in for the KILL!

Yo!

Blue125~

Actually, who cares?

I can proclaim myself to be Master of the Universe, whether I am or not, that's a separate issue.
    I can proclaim myself to be a Primary 2 student, whether I am or not, whether I really think I am or not, that's also separate.

Talk is cheap.

Most people always want to institute this talk of "standards", and "comparative ability". My suggestion is that you benchmark against your own progress - everyone is different, not everyone is going to be good at photography, or horribly bad either. Let's just translate this into "life" terms - how would you know if you're doing well in life? If you have a lower IQ than average, shouldn't your so-called judgement of this take this into account? Same for photography! Different people have different aspirations and different KPI.

I think what you should be asking are questions such as "Do I know what I wish to achieve? Do I have the knowledge to achieve what I want for my photographic visions? Is my photographic vision even attainable? Have I improved from 3 months ago? 6 months ago? Where do I want to be? Is it that important to me?"

Cheers.

coming to that, i ran into a friend the other day and he looked at me carrying my gear and uttered to me that my photography sucked, adding that his skill (just with a PnS) is much much better than mine.. and i can find them on facebook!

i told him whatever's on my facebook account are old pictures from years back, that i no longer post my DSLR images.. and he rebutted that i'm full of crap.

(ok honestly i don't really like this hypocrite because he always likens himself to be a great person and on par with the likes of Jesus, Moses, Osama, Muhammad and all those renowned people, acts all holy but clubs and insults his good friends with foul language)

and i went to his FB account and LOL-ed at all the "great images"... mostly self-portraits and cam-whoring and images of him. so much for great photography skills.

so i guess. it's pretty much subjective whether others enjoy what you enjoy.
    Haha, well, why do you care so much what he thinks, if you do think that he is an idiot (and given that your description of his actions are accurate, has proven himself to be one too)? Like I always say, we should always thank people for their comments and give them the benefit of the doubt that they are being earnest in helping us to improve... Until sorely proven otherwise. After which, you can simply ignore them happily and proceed with your life, and maybe laugh at them once in a while when you happen to chance upon their antics.
    Last edited by edutilos-; 25th March 2011 at 11:20 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by edutilos- View Post
    Haha, well, why do you care so much what he thinks, if you do think that he is an idiot (and given that your description of his actions are accurate, has proven himself to be one too)? Like I always say, we should always thank people for their comments and give them the benefit of the doubt that they are being earnest in helping us to improve... Until sorely proven otherwise. After which, you can simply ignore them happily and proceed with your life, and maybe laugh at them once in a while when you happen to chance upon their antics.
    haha thanks bro. i was particularly miffed because he shouted really loudly and at that point of time, his friends were with him, and my friends were around haha.. but i'll bear in mind what you said

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12