Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Review: Fujifilm X100

Default Re: Review: Fujifilm X100

ISO6400

ISO12800

Now to the 100% crop which most would be more interested in...

ISO100

ISO200

ISO400

ISO800

ISO1600

ISO3200

ISO6400

ISO12800

Ok, next I will move on to my next test, comparison to my Canon 60D (mounted with Sigma 17-50 F2.8).

Both camera settings:
    23mm focal length, F5.6, Aperture priority, AWB, Matrix metering, NR normal, Centre point AF, JPEG
    Tripod mounted, 2sec delayed shutter release, Indoor with same lighting.

At ISO800

Canon 60D

Fuji X100
    Last edited by Ouverture; 15th April 2011 at 03:44 PM.

ISO1600

Canon 60D

Fuji X100

ISO3200

Canon 60D

Fuji X100

ISO6400

Canon 60D

Fuji X100

Ouverture,

Could the Canon 60D really be behind on the fuji X100? It certainly looks that way. I would have assumed that at best the X100 would be in Leica X1 territory. Thanks for the info but is there anyway to rule out the Sigma lens being the culprit here (i don't think it
    s the Sigma) but maybe if you tested with a f2.8 24mm Canon EF lens. Any Canon user with this lens that is willing to experiment?

Quote Originally Posted by magicdragon View Post
    Ouverture,

Could the Canon 60D really be behind on the fuji X100? It certainly looks that way. I would have assumed that at best the X100 would be in Leica X1 territory. Thanks for the info but is there anyway to rule out the Sigma lens being the culprit here (i don't think it
    s the Sigma) but maybe if you tested with a f2.8 24mm Canon EF lens. Any Canon user with this lens that is willing to experiment?
    Hi Magicdragon,

I dun think the lens have anything to do with the noise performance here and in my arsenal of lenses right now, this Sigma is currently the sharpest I have.

Of course, X100 still have a slightly larger sensor than 60D and also lower MP count, so probably that's account for better noise performance.

Probably those bros with D7000 or K5 might want to make a comparison as well with their current king of high ISO crop cameras.

Ouverture,

Yes I do think the low MP count on the fuji sensor is having a +ve effect on noise at higher ISO. Anyways enjoy you camera. It's raining again...bummer. Was hoping to take some nice sunny pictures. I guess I could still shoot in the rain but the camera is too new...maybe next month I'll do that. Someone with a Nikon D90 should do a comparison. BTW since you're shoot in jpegs is your noise setting put to minimum?

Blog Entries

Thanks Overture for coming to my rescue ... and more .....with the 60D for noise comparison

Overture's comparing noise levels ...... not resolving power, bokeh , distortion or other lens characteristics etc etc so it matters not that a Sigma or a prime was used on the Canon
    shaddap and just shoot .... up close
    Walkeast

ed9119,

When I set the dynamic range to DR100 the highlight areas are blown out, the shadow areas are fine and the ISO is at 200. Once I set it to DR400 the ISO jumps to 800 (ie +2 stops). The highlight areas are no longer blown out... This boggles my mind. What gives? What digital devilry is going on here? BTW I grew up in the film era. Only way to do this in the darkroom by dogging and burning and even then for B&W. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Found a good review on Youtube.
    Multimediagrapher
    - Designer (motion/still) / Photographer / Videographer --- Instagram

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by magicdragon View Post
    ed9119,

When I set the dynamic range to DR100 the highlight areas are blown out, the shadow areas are fine and the ISO is at 200. Once I set it to DR400 the ISO jumps to 800 (ie +2 stops). The highlight areas are no longer blown out... This boggles my mind. What gives? What digital devilry is going on here? BTW I grew up in the film era. Only way to do this in the darkroom by dogging and burning and even then for B&W. Any help is greatly appreciated.
    nothing gives actually ha ha .....well tight DR ranges are a current digital imaging limitation due to technology .... just me and DONT take it as the last word .... I usually set the EV to -1 when shooting and use Levels or Dodge in PP to rescue the shadows .... NO GUARANTEE that this is a cure all for overblown highlights but reduces its chances of occuring

this topic (How to live with tight DR in digital imaging) deserves its own thread
    shaddap and just shoot .... up close
    Walkeast

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234