Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Review: Fujifilm X100

Default Re: Review: Fujifilm X100

Quote Originally Posted by ed9119 View Post
    ha ha no worries, I am not the salesman

The repeated theme in this camera is that it forces the photographer to think ..... and strangely or understandably appeals to certain group of people :

1. NO ZOOM - this is a single fixed focal length lens camera
    2. NO fps - this camera shoots ONE picture at a time
    3. NO Art Filters or Hello Kitty features that turns out cute pictures at a touch of the button
    4. NO Space Age Multi Matrix Metering
    5. NO Multi Face detection
    6. NO Smile Detection
    7. LOVES the superbly FLAT PANCAKE low profile of the lens (which makes it very pocketable)

Nice review Ed. Ref your points 2 and 4, I understand from DP Review, this features are available:

Drive modes
    Single
    Continuous (5 or 3 fps), up to 10 JPEG or 8 RAW/RAW + JPEG)
    Self-timer (2 or 12 sec)

Metering modes
    TTL 256-zones metering
    Multi-pattern

Center-Weighted Average
    Spot
    D700|N24-70f2.8|N70-200f2.8VRII
    Come visit my blog http://www.coolphotoblogs.com/profile20486

I really love this camera ( outlook ) but sound like its not worth getting
    " Style is a reflection of your attitude and your personality"

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by lightbrush View Post
    Nice review Ed. Ref your points 2 and 4, I understand from DP Review, this features are available:

Drive modes
    • Single
    • Continuous (5 or 3 fps), up to 10 JPEG or 8 RAW/RAW + JPEG)
    • Self-timer (2 or 12 sec)

Metering modes
    • TTL 256-zones metering
    • Multi-pattern

• Center-Weighted Average
    • Spot
    thank you for pointing it out Lightbrush , appreciated
    shaddap and just shoot .... up close
    Walkeast

I'll probably get an X100 when the price drops. Compared to the X1, this is much more value for money but when compared to the ILC cameras like the E-PL2 or the GF-2, I think it's a little harder to think of but considering the new technology it has, I think it's worth it. I do mainly street photography anyway and the rangefinder-like qualities of the X100 is just so is appealing even if it doesn't seem like a practical decision.

Wide open at f2.0 and close up
    I pulled out my 50+ year old black paint russian rangefinder (a REAL rangefinder ha ha for the clueless) for a lube, dust down and clean up this evening and used the X100 to shoot it

Note: In 'macro' (close-up) mode, the X100's minimum focusing distance drops from 20cm to 10cm ..... (personally, I wished it was 5cm or less )

Note: the X100 automatically switches back to normal shooting mode (OFF Macro mode) once you turn off the camera and then power it up again later...

iso 800
    F 2.0
    1/280 sec handheld
    spot meter and focussing on the nearest fat rewind knob
    must say the bokeh is rather pleasing and a touch 'creamy'
    will try it out more next few days

The picture looks like its got quite a bit of overblown highlight "auras".
    Yashica Mat LM,
    OM2n, OM2SP

would appreciate if other X100 owners contribute feedback

I dont know if I have an early prototype copy or what but the X100

1. charger unit is too loose for the battery to charge properly ..... i had to jam a piece of paper between battery and charger to get a firm charging connection

2. issues locking focus in low/less contrasty situation ......
    I believe that the AF for the X100 depends on contrast to focus, which means, no contrast, no focus. To see if this is true, try locking focus on a single colour wall and see if the AF locks.

I have to agree with previous comments. I'd be expecting a lot more from the camera, given a prime lens setting. ASPH is nothing when the glass is not good. If I turn a little moer harsh, I'd say an old olympus zuiko prime lens could give better quality pictures for much less.... but that's another situation.
    Yashica Mat LM,
    OM2n, OM2SP

May I know where can I buy X100? Seems like there is no stock in Singapore! Any advice?

Yes, where can I buy this camera? Would this be available somewhere in Singapore around April 24? Can anyone points me to a place which takes reservations

Thanks

Out of stock lah. Place a Reservation at Orient Photo, SLR Revolution, I think MS color as well. Having said that I was like no 30 down the list.....before the earthquake tsunami. If you really really need one either a) buy from a guy who's gonna charge you for the privilege b) buy a stand in and sell the stand in when the x-100 becomes available (Sony nes, olympus Ep-1, etc)

I agree, the charger is basically used to charge bigger battery and then a plastic thingie to charge the x100 (and equivalent P&S shooters from Fujifilm). You don't need a piece of paper, the plastic clip comes with it.

If you have issues locking in, then either use the focus assist lamp or point own flashlight at object. The camera uses contrast to focus and not phase detection unfortunately. That said, it can focus more than 90% of the images.

This camera DO work with photographers who likes spot metering and uses AE lock a lot (that's me). I also do my own pre focus so it is second nature to me. Being trained by lousy cameras before hence handling the x100 is easier in comparison to most people.

would appreciate if other X100 owners contribute feedback

I dont know if I have an early prototype copy or what but the X100

1. charger unit is too loose for the battery to charge properly ..... i had to jam a piece of paper between battery and charger to get a firm charging connection

2. issues locking focus in low/less contrasty situation ......

Quote Originally Posted by pcom21 View Post
    The picture looks like its got quite a bit of overblown highlight "auras".
    For macro, it is noted by x100 owners to go F4 at the macro focusing distance and the 'aura' will dissipitate

Quote Originally Posted by magicdragon View Post
    Out of stock lah. Place a Reservation at Orient Photo, SLR Revolution, I think MS color as well. Having said that I was like no 30 down the list.....before the earthquake tsunami. If you really really need one either a) buy from a guy who's gonna charge you for the privilege b) buy a stand in and sell the stand in when the x-100 becomes available (Sony nes, olympus Ep-1, etc)
    I say wait for the official shipment. By then some quirks like a slight tilt of the OVF framing box will be corrected.

Those who has the chance to buy from HK or US when the stock arrives, make full use of the strong SGD. HKD is pegged to USD so the x100 price should be cheaper than SGD (but US and HK are seeing high demand too). Someone over at x100 forum say get from Thailand...HMMMMM....

Sharing some initial observations after getting my cam today.

It seems the lens is already quite sharp wide opened at F2, probably similar to my Sigma 30/1.4, however probably due to the accuracy of the AF is a hit and miss sometimes, so may get some blur pics occassionally.

At F2.8, it is sharp enough.

As for ISO performance, I would dare to say it is clean all the way to ISO6400!!! yes, it beats the hell out of my Canon 60D even at ISO3200, that's how good it is.

I think this is the best APS-C sensor right now in terms of high ISO performance.

So I actually wondered why there are so much complaints about lens softness, purple fringing etc....

To me, I will try max it at F2.8 and let the auto ISO does it's work since I can easily use ISO3200 and 6400 anytime with this gem!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Ouverture View Post
    As for ISO performance, I would dare to say it is clean all the way to ISO6400!!! yes, it beats the hell out of my Canon 60D even at ISO3200, that's how good it is.
    don't be so drama lah.... I don't think even D700 or 5D2 beats the hell out of 60D.... maybe we have different interpretation of "beats the hell out"

If it is so clean at ISO6400, I suspect there is a LOT of NR going on.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by wilswong View Post
    I agree, the charger is basically used to charge bigger battery and then a plastic thingie to charge the x100 (and equivalent P&S shooters from Fujifilm). You don't need a piece of paper, the plastic clip comes with it.
    Thanks for this piece of info that totally slipped me ...... I saw the little black plastic thingy in the box and was wondering what on earth it was LOL .....duhhhh !
    Walkeast

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Ouverture View Post

I think this is the best APS-C sensor right now in terms of high ISO performance.

So I actually wondered why there are so much complaints about lens softness, purple fringing etc....

To me, I will try max it at F2.8 and let the auto ISO does it's work since I can easily use ISO3200 and 6400 anytime with this gem!!!

arrrghhh..... I totally missed doing the ISO tests that normally comes with reviews ... I am SO SORRY (really kicking myself)

I had 7 days with the camera some more ..... this is my bad

It STILL NO excuse ...... just been busy with the Ganbatte Japan preparation work that SAME week I picked up the camera, office work etc etc etc ..... damn.... apologies..... just total oversight on my part
    Last edited by ed9119; 14th April 2011 at 07:34 AM.
    Walkeast

Quote Originally Posted by alantkh View Post
    don't be so drama lah.... I don't think even D700 or 5D2 beats the hell out of 60D.... maybe we have different interpretation of "beats the hell out"

If it is so clean at ISO6400, I suspect there is a LOT of NR going on.
    Yah, probably i was overwhelmed by the fact that finally getting this cam after waiting for so long.

Coming back from Heaven, yeah, realistically, probably "beat the hell out of" is a bit too strong to be used. To sum it up, it is roughly 1 stop better in terms of noise performance, esp from 3200 and above.

I do agree the NR is obvious, but it's the same for my 60D as well.

Anyway, i will try to post some comparison shots soon.

Here's some ISO comparison shots taken.

all settings are at following:
    F5.6, Aperture priority mode, AWB, Matrix metering, Center point AF, Velvia profile, NR Std, JPEG

set up is
    - on a tripod
    - 2sec timed shutter release
    - aimed at one fixed scene with a good mix of colors
    - in artificial but bright light to keep light condition constant

ISO100

ISO200

ISO400

ISO800

ISO1600

ISO3200