Thread: Silica Gel in bag?

Default Silica Gel in bag?

Newbie question!

Planning to get a backpack to put my DSLR whenever I go around. Do I need to put any silica gels in my bag to control humidity? OR am I overly worried now?

btw, anyone has any recommendations for a haversack that can house a d7000 + a prime lens and maybe a sb 700 flash? On top of that, it'd be best if I can still put some child stuff into it (diapers / spare child's clothings)?
    Budget: less than $150 best!

Default Re: Silica Gel in bag?

You are overly worried.
    No backpack is airtight, so humidity will come in no matter how much hippos, camels or other thirsty animals you stuff in. Beside: a bag is for transportation. Storage conditions need to have defined and controlled RH level.
    EOS

You are overly worried.
    No backpack is airtight, so humidity will come in no matter how much hippos, camels or other thirsty animals you stuff in. Beside: a bag is for transportation. Storage conditions need to have defined and controlled RH level.
    EOS

Quote Originally Posted by Octarine View Post
    You are overly worried.

in addition, fungus will not grow just in hours..
    so dun worry too much
    Canon 550D | EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6IS | EF 50mm f/1.8II |
    My Humble Flickr

Quote Originally Posted by SkimMilk View Post
    Newbie question!

Planning to get a backpack to put my DSLR whenever I go around. Do I need to put any silica gels in my bag to control humidity? OR am I overly worried now?

btw, anyone has any recommendations for a haversack that can house a d7000 + a prime lens and maybe a sb 700 flash? On top of that, it'd be best if I can still put some child stuff into it (diapers / spare child's clothings)?
    Budget: less than $150 best!
    If you are just walking around Singapore for a short few hours/days, a good wipe after use everyday should be more than enough.

If your child stuffs is >70% of the bag, I think you are probably better off getting a normal big backpack + Padded inserts to convert any bag to a camera bag (Since I think a DSLR with Lens + 1 flash won't take up much space)

It looks like this:

Source: http://img688.imageshack.us/img688/8646/img1169f.jpg
    Too many great equipments but too little quality photos. [My Flickr] | [My Blog]

where can i get the padded inserts? actually child stuff not that much too. just need to hold 1 umbrella, a set of clothes (very small only) and a few diapers will do.
    Will the Kata 3n1-30 be able to fit these?

where can i get the padded inserts? actually child stuff not that much too. just need to hold 1 umbrella, a set of clothes (very small only) and a few diapers will do.
    Will the Kata 3n1-30 be able to fit these?
    I think you can find the padded inserts & bags in Cathay Photo (give them a call to see if they have it). Regarding if the listed items can fit in, best to see the item itself to gauge accurately. * I have no idea how much space a few diapers can take up :P *
    Too many great equipments but too little quality photos. [My Flickr] | [My Blog]

hehe! thanks for advice!

hehe! thanks for advice!
    Hi SkimMilk. Speaking as a parent of Primary school kids now, think it will be a good idea to separate the photography gear from personal use. Though it may be convenient now, you may soon outgrow both your photo and personal bags. Next comes their food and toys and before long, sports gear.

I use Lowepro and maybe you can explore the various designs (http://www.lowepro.com/intl).

As for fungus, I think it will grow only when item is unused for a period of time. So little worries there.
    Picture technologist
    Flickr Homepage

Hi pentlynk! thanks for the advice! I'll need a backpack to put the gear and just my daughter's diapers + a set of clothes when we are going for outings. Won't be using it as a generic bag cos i already have got 2 other haversacks. went and saw kata 3n1-33 and lowepro fastpak250 at TK just now. the Kata was humongous! Think I may just settle for the fastpak250 cos the top can fit an umbrella as well. heehee

Go build those muscles man.

Hi pentlynk! thanks for the advice! I'll need a backpack to put the gear and just my daughter's diapers + a set of clothes when we are going for outings. Won't be using it as a generic bag cos i already have got 2 other haversacks. went and saw kata 3n1-33 and lowepro fastpak250 at TK just now. the Kata was humongous! Think I may just settle for the fastpak250 cos the top can fit an umbrella as well. heehee
    Picture technologist
    Flickr Homepage