Thread: D70 & Sigma lens autofocus problem

Default D70 & Sigma lens autofocus problem

Hi all,

I've got a D70 and a Sigma 28-70mm D Aspherical lens. Regretfully, I didn't get the lens that came with the camera. ANYONE wants to sell theirs???

Anyway, I've been having a problem focusing when I do close ups. When I do a full zoom of 70mm to take, for eg a flower, at a distance of about 30-50cm away, the camera can't seem to focus on the subject. The D70 will just keep focusing in and out, in and out non-stop if I keep holding onto the the shutter release button.

Usually in this case, I would have to do manual focusing. But its quite irritating... I'm not in Singapore now and so I emailed Nikon to ask about it and they basically refused to comment on it and asked me to bring the camera and lens in for them to "check".

Anyone any comments?

Super thanks all.

Default My need upgrading of lens chip

Hiee..

It looks like your lens may need a chip upgrade for use with the D70.
    Some Sigma lens has been known to have had problems with some camera bodies.

In case you want to send to the service center, its located at Bukit merah.
    DO a search at the www.sigma-photo.com site and find the new address.
    I'm not in SGP now ...else i could check my receipt....

My advice is do not use the lens with the body anymore until services....to avoid unknown adverse effects...

rgds,
    sulhan

Your len's closest focusing distance is 0.4m. Maybe you can confirm that you have a problem by making sure you are like 0.8m @ 70mm and it still doesn't lock on. Make sure you have a good and easy subject, like a big alarm clock. If still cannot, then you have a problem.

Quote Originally Posted by crackz
    Hi all,

I've got a D70 and a Sigma 28-70mm D Aspherical lens. Regretfully, I didn't get the lens that came with the camera. ANYONE wants to sell theirs???

Anyway, I've been having a problem focusing when I do close ups. When I do a full zoom of 70mm to take, for eg a flower, at a distance of about 30-50cm away, the camera can't seem to focus on the subject. The D70 will just keep focusing in and out, in and out non-stop if I keep holding onto the the shutter release button.

Usually in this case, I would have to do manual focusing. But its quite irritating... I'm not in Singapore now and so I emailed Nikon to ask about it and they basically refused to comment on it and asked me to bring the camera and lens in for them to "check".

Anyone any comments?

Super thanks all.
    Can u check if u can MF at that distance?

hi,

yr focusing too close, move back a bit. yr lens is not a micro lens. try getting a micro lens, gd for flowers at 1:1. no filters gona work on yr 28-70mm, too big. can try getting a exe. tube, its something that fits in between yr lens and body. cheaper this way, but not at 1:1. A tamron 90mm Di micro lens will cost about $600, go get one. its very GOOD, ask around.
    Take both its legs down first, then cuts its tail, next is shoot between its eyes:devil:

Hi,

Thanks all for your info.

1) will look up info on that chip upgrade. This lens was supposedly one of the better ones though. I got it when I got my F90X in 1995.

2) Yup, I can manual focus at that distance. There are cases also which I can't focus for distances of up to 1 metre using AF but its fine if I use MF. Anyway, I do take note of the distance needed for focus at various zoom levels.

3) wah... that tamron lens seems expensive... I'm not pro leh, so I find it hard to justify even to myself! Moreover, I just bought a 1.25ghz 15" powerbook... quite siong if I get another lens.

Super thanks for your suggestions!

Quote Originally Posted by crackz
    Hi,

Thanks all for your info.

1) will look up info on that chip upgrade. This lens was supposedly one of the better ones though. I got it when I got my F90X in 1995.

Here is your problem right here. Cases of incompatibility of older third party lenses (Sigma, Tamron, Tokina,etc) with the newer cameras (Canon, Nikon, Minolta etc) is well documented. Because the third party manufacturers have no access to the original camera manufacturer's technology, they can only reverse engineer a chip which is compatible with the current cameras, but have little of making a chip which is also compatible with future cameras as they have no idea of what sort of new technology would be incorporated.

Quote Originally Posted by justarius
    Here is your problem right here. Cases of incompatibility of older third party lenses (Sigma, Tamron, Tokina,etc) with the newer cameras (Canon, Nikon, Minolta etc) is well documented. Because the third party manufacturers have no access to the original camera manufacturer's technology, they can only reverse engineer a chip which is compatible with the current cameras, but have little of making a chip which is also compatible with future cameras as they have no idea of what sort of new technology would be incorporated.
    Hello. Thanks for the info... well, I guess I've got to get a new lens then... sigh... more $$$. Do you think that using this lens will induce problems with the camera?

No need to replace your lens first, as there's the possibility of sending it in to be re-chipped, as per sulhan's suggestion...

Hi Justarius,

thanks for your advise.