Thread: No photography in the stadium (outdoor)

Default No photography in the stadium (outdoor)

Was trying to take some group photos with friends at the Queenstown Stadium track after a morning run yesterday. Was approached by the sport council staff that no photography is allowed at the stadium. When questioned on why photo taking was not allowed, they couldn't give me the answer.. Just mentioned that it is an order by the Sports Council...

Hmm..what do you guys feel about this?? Anybody has any idea why photography was not allowed at the stadium??
    Nikon D90||Nikon 12-24mm f2.8||Nikon 17-55 f2.8||Sigma 50-150 f2.8||Nikon 35 f1.8

Default Re: No photography in the stadium (outdoor)

bring it up with the Singapore Sports Council then for the exact reasons.

The least they could do is put up no photography signs.

Most of the time it depends on security intrepetation of SSC guidelines as whats okay at one venue might not be okay at another venue.
    Last edited by Reportage; 21st March 2011 at 11:04 PM.
    You wont see me much less remember me but i am the guy who makes you look good.

Quote Originally Posted by darkhorse00 View Post
    Was trying to take some group photos with friends at the Queenstown Stadium track after a morning run yesterday. Was approached by the sport council staff that no photography is allowed at the stadium. When questioned on why photo taking was not allowed, they couldn't give me the answer.. Just mentioned that it is an order by the Sports Council...

Hmm..what do you guys feel about this?? Anybody has any idea why photography was not allowed at the stadium??
    Would be good if you asked there and then why photography was not allowed when they stopped you.

On a separate note, I was with my wife when we walked past a man who was using his camera phone to take pictures from outside swimming complex into swimming complex. We stopped and stared at him for a while and by the time we walked in, he was gone. What do you make of that?

The number of uniformed patrols along MRTs seem to have increased in the recent few weeks. What do you make of that also?

There are many reason for things.

But the thing is WHY?
    I think the Minister-in-charge owes us an explanation. WHY everything/everyplaces are "photography off-limit" in Singapore? What are these officials frighten of?
    always the Light, .... always.

the premises are belong to Singapore Sport Council, they have every rights to set the rules, same to those shopping malls, if you are the user of their property, you are expected to adhere their rules.

photography is not allow is simply it is much easier to control this way, whether is using PnS or DSLR or an elaborating setup, if anyone need to shoot in their premises, just need to write in to get their approval, as they need to know what is going on inside their property, and because they are responsible to anybody who using their premises at any point of time.
    Shoot to Live, Live to Shoot
    www.benjaminloo.com | iStock portfolio

Quote Originally Posted by Canonised View Post
    But the thing is WHY?
    I think the Minister-in-charge owes us an explanation. WHY everything/everyplaces are "photography off-limit" in Singapore? What are these officials frighten of?
    bcos govt likes to control.. they want everything to run smoothly so that they won't have headache... they like citizens to be obedient, be good boys and girls...

no idea on actually why it is not allowed but even if u write in, u might not be given the permission to. they might charge u a fee for shooting there. fyi.

i have approached them for a shoot for a magazine but they did not approve just the same.

Quote Originally Posted by darkhorse00 View Post

This is technically, not a public place already, so the staff do have a right to tell you to stop taking photos. Same applies to shopping centre, actually. If you are on public domain, i.e. outside roads, then I guess it's fine.

If you feel that this is unfair, you can always contact the Sports Council and obtain a letter of permission if you feel an extremely compelling need to take photos at Queenstown Stadium and think that you have a valid case. Cheers.

But the thing is WHY?
    hi brother

not sure if u have read this before:

http://gameysf.wordpress.com/2006/08...ve-technology/

another one for u to ponder: http://globalasia.org/pdf/issue7/v3n3_Soon.pdf it is by a sg early batch of architects - Tay Kheng Soon

Quote Originally Posted by sfoto100 View Post
    hi brother

not sure if u have read this before:

http://gameysf.wordpress.com/2006/08...ve-technology/

another one for u to ponder: http://globalasia.org/pdf/issue7/v3n3_Soon.pdf it is by a sg early batch of architects - Tay Kheng Soon

good articles, exactly what's happening in Singapore.

Even give births also they give signals. Even they beg for more opposition parties!

In Singapore, in most areas, the moment you draw out the big cam, the guards come running to you!
    always the Light, .... always.

Even give births also they give signals. Even they beg for more opposition parties!

In Singapore, in most areas, the moment you draw out the big cam, the guards come running to you!
    That's why I do my shoot in the long kang.
    I AM BORNFIRE!
    My Flickr/TFCD Service

alot of artists went overseas for their career... LKY once went France to ask one such artist (should be a fashion designer) why he didn't want to come back to Singapore to build his career.. hahaha... i tried to google but didn't find anything... forgot his name..

alot of artists went overseas for their career... LKY once went France to ask one such artist (should be a fashion designer) why he didn't want to come back to Singapore to build his career.. hahaha... i tried to google but didn't find anything... forgot his name..
    got it.

Interview with Andrew Gn
    ST Life! ( p 4). 08 January 2007
    ST Life! carried a full-page interview with Paris-based Singaporean fashion designer Andrew Gn. Minister Mentor Lee Kuan Yew had visited him at his Paris showroom while on an official trip to the city. Victoria “Plum” Sykes, contributing British editor at American Vogue magazine, says that Gn "has put Singapore on the fashion map in a big way."

src: http://www.designsingapore.org/RunSc...asp&PageNum=93

http://www.asiaone.com/News/Educatio...07-113027.html

Referring to his referral, Miss Leow told The New Paper: 'I totally didn't expect it. I hope I can get the contact soon. It's a great opportunity, and I will contact (the designer) once I have expanded my portfolio further.'

She said she had not heard of Mr Gn before.
    Last edited by edutilos-; 22nd March 2011 at 01:54 PM.

Its really NUTS! You should write to the council/gov. After all it was built by your tax dollar.

I think as someone mentioned, it is not a public place and you should seek permission if it is going to be a commercial shoot. I have encountered such situations before not just in Sin but overseas as well. Some will even tell me DSLR not allowed but PnS ok. How to beat that

Sometimes ppl can get too far with enforcing the rules in sg. Back in 2007, when my father was bedridden with cancer in SGH, my mum and I brought a cake to celebrate my father's last birthday. I politely asked the nurse to take a picture for us with my pns cam and she flatly refused saying that photography is not allowed in the hospital! I almost slap her there and then. In the end, a doctor making the rounds said yes and we got our picture. It's was the last picture we have of him with us The nurse in her 'zest' to enforce hospital rules have forgotten how to be human...

There should be no reason TS shouldn't be allowed to take photographs at the stadium unless he happens to be a pervert and a stalker with a fetish for sweating ladies running around in sportswear. Of course there aren't that many such voyeurs loitering around, right?
    Last edited by 9V-Orion Images; 22nd March 2011 at 08:38 PM.
    CS Aviation / Flickr
    Per aspera ad astra

Quote Originally Posted by cutecdo View Post
    Sometimes ppl can get too far with enforcing the rules in sg. Back in 2007, when my father was bedridden with cancer in SGH, my mum and I brought a cake to celebrate my father's last birthday. I politely asked the nurse to take a picture for us with my pns cam and she flatly refused saying that photography is not allowed in the hospital! I almost slap her there and then. In the end, a doctor making the rounds said yes and we got our picture. It's was the last picture we have of him with us The nurse in her 'zest' to enforce hospital rules have forgotten how to be human...
    luckily the doctor didn't follow the LAW...

i was told that they see too many dead ppl until they are numb... but they won't be as numb if this happen to them or someone close to them...

and to think this is a hospital! what a shame!