Thread: Vitacon 0.45X wide-angle/macro... Should I get it?

Default Vitacon 0.45X wide-angle/macro... Should I get it?

Hi guys, I'm a an amatuer photographer interested in doing macro photography. I came across a Vitacon 0.45X wide-angle/macro screw-in lens at Harbourfront centre, selling it at $120. Do you think its worth? What are the pros and cons for this lens?

Quote Originally Posted by newzealandhike
    Hi guys, I'm a an amatuer photographer interested in doing macro photography. I came across a Vitacon 0.45X wide-angle/macro screw-in lens at Harbourfront centre, selling it at $120. Do you think its worth? What are the pros and cons for this lens?
    Totally not worth it, these lenses are crap. I would not even pay $50 for them, the image they produce is just horrible.
    Last edited by spree86; 21st March 2011 at 05:24 PM.

Default Re: Vitacon 0.45X wide-angle/macro... Should I get it?

If it were so easy to convert a normal lens into either a macro or into a wide angle lens just by adding a simple screw-in lens then why do all these lens manufacturer produce all these different wide angle and macro lenses?
    Get it cheap in Buy & Sell here, have some fun toying around with it but don't expect any quality results.
    Existing thread: http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/threa...on-your-camera
    EOS

Woah. Thanks guys. If I hadn't decided to ask for your help, I may had jumped and bought the lens.

So then what is the ideal solution to getting good macro photos (for an amatuer like me), other than true macro lenses that I can't afford?
    I looked around for extension tubes but can't find any in stores. If you know where I can get one, please do mention.

Thanks!

all you have to do is this:

1. Search on here for "Vitacon" and read.

2. Look in the Macro section for recommended low-cost setups. We have FAQs for a reason.
    Alpha

Please stay away form these adapters! Whoever it is that is trying to sell you these junk is definitely out to con you! I learnt it the hard way.
    Your pictures speaks for you, not your camera.

Quote Originally Posted by mabmy View Post
    Please stay away form these adapters! Whoever it is that is trying to sell you these junk is definitely out to con you! I learnt it the hard way.
    At least it's just 120. Sim Lim and Wordlwide Cameras would have asked him for 200-500.
    Alpha

Christ. Thanks a lot guys!
    $200-$500!?! Thats a big amount! Can't believe there are hypocrites out there trying to fool us. The guy showing me the lens told me ther'll be NO IMAGE DEGRADATION. Liars, or maybe he himself doesn't know a thing haha!

Thanks again, guys. I'll check out the macro section for reverse-macro setups, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by newzealandhike View Post
    $200-$500!?! Thats a big amount! Can't believe there are hypocrites out there trying to fool us. The guy showing me the lens told me ther'll be NO IMAGE DEGRADATION. Liars, or maybe he himself doesn't know a thing haha!

Thanks again, guys. I'll check out the macro section for reverse-macro setups, etc.
    If you do a search, you will probably see alot of sad stories of poor fellow mates spending $xxx on a converter (which costs abt $xx). So, to prevent being chopped, it's best to know what you are getting and the price by reading up articles/reviews and calling up shops for quotes.
    Too many great equipments but too little quality photos. [My Flickr] | [My Blog]

I wouldn't even pay $5 on this crap. If you want cheap macro setups, you can explore the following options (google them to find out more)

1. Raynox DCR-250, or close up diopters
    2. Extension tubes
    3. Reverse lens setup

Quote Originally Posted by newzealandhike View Post

If you want to find out more about reverse macro, can PM me

Thanks for the info guys. I would like extension tubes, but I see that the kekno AF extension tube set may cost $150+.... So now I was thinking of doing reverse mounting.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by brapodam
    I wouldn't even pay $5 on this crap. If you want cheap macro setups, you can explore the following options (google them to find out more)

1. Raynox DCR-250, or close up diopters
    2. Extension tubes
    3. Reverse lens setup
    5 dollars I will buy. Use it on my prosumer on video mode. LOL.

Quote Originally Posted by daredevil123 View Post
    5 dollars I will buy. Use it on my prosumer on video mode. LOL.
    Haha me too, I'll buy it if its there for $5... can toy around with it