Thread: CBD

Default CBD

1. in what area is critique to be sought?
    Composition, overall feel of the picture

2. what one hopes to achieve with the piece of work?
    Attempting to recreate CBD pictures seen on CS. First attempt at landscape

3. under what circumstance is the picture taken? (physical conditions/emotions)
    Just after the rain has stopped, around 3-4pm in the afternoon.

4. what the critique seeker personally thinks of the picture
    For my personal standard, I'm quite happy as it's my first attempt. But of course I know this isn't even up to standard compared to many out there.

Default Re: CBD

I think you've done better than most here with your composition. But would like to hear more about any research you've done prior to the shooting, your shooting process, what you're happy about, in which areas do you think can be improved on and (if any) how you think can be done better eg. weather, eqpt, etc. As much as this corner is about the photographs, it's vitally important the photographer matures as well.

Minor post-process points to mull over.

By giving more foreground, there should be a certain importance or remarkable attraction. Like when there is a nice sky we frame more of it, so in this case, what you find special and what have you done to highlight it to the viewer?

The buildings can be brighter still, definitely the new CBD. Would like to see more light & shadow play between the buildings to illustrate depth. It's too flat and compressed right now. One thing good with an overcast sky is that you're free to be more creative with 'lighting'. Takes some practise but with a soft brush dodge certain parts of buildings to bring out it's shape, construction etc.

Default Re: CBD

The reflections aren't that nice since it's a B&W, and the ripples of the water just spoil the reflections. Try using a ND filter to shoot a long exposure, so you just see the reflections instead of all the ripples. It's also not very good to crop out half of a building (look to the right of the photo); either have the whole building or none at all.