Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Always have a backup..

Quote Originally Posted by hwchoy
    eh your knife got polish sharp sharp anot? or CS member got discount
    Aiyah, don't anyhow say until like that lar.

I don't think I can give _more_ discounts for my DVD & CD media. But I do know that my Funan shop selling probably the cheapest grade-A/B DVD & CD media.

I mean, come on... which retail shop in Funan stack high high one? Bulk is cheaper for me leh ^_^; and it simply means cheaper for you lor!

Likewise for the Sim Lim branch.

OK lah, dropby to beo your shop sometime. I'm looking for a DVD solution that will do rewritable as well as write-once. is this the DVD+R/RW formats?

OK lah, dropby to beo your shop sometime. I'm looking for a DVD solution that will do rewritable as well as write-once. is this the DVD+R/RW formats?
    Well, if you are just doing backups of data. I can recommend DVD-R (for one-time) maybe at the lower speed x2.

Some of my customers adopted my way of filing their images on DVD media.

Based on the situation that you have 1 DVD worth of images (after one photo session).

1. Buy 10 pcs of DVD-R x2 (abt $2 per piece with Jewel case)
    2. Burn the unedited images into DVD no.1 (pre-processed images)
    3. Mark that "DDMMYY - Original" (or personally i call it UnCut)
    4. Post process all you want
    5. Burn the edited images into DVD no.2 (processed images)
    6. Mark that "DDMMYY - Final"
    7. File it into a cabinet (haha... I can sell furniture in my computer shop leh)
    8. Make a back-up of that set (2 pcs of DVDs) per quarter or half a year
    9. Discard DVD media sets that are a year old (break or smash it into bits)

If you want to get ready-acccess to your images (other than fumbling around in your DVD library), you can invest in a external hard disk running on, preferably IEEE1394 or USB 2.0. File the as "DDMMYY - Original" and "DDMMYY - Final" under a main folder that matches the original date.

If you don't want an external hard disk on IEEE1394 or USB2.0, you can get a NAS (I have a barebone solution too) or a dedicated 1-U fileserver or 5U fileserver with RAID 5.

Hope it's useful.

I am planning to get a mirror set (2×SATA disk) to protect against HDD failure while I sort out the keeps and throws. then these keeps get sorted into working folders by categories (I don't sort by date because it isn't relevant to my shoots). The mirrored folders are also copied to another disk on a regular basis.

I wanted a RW solution so that the working folders can be rewritten on a daily basis. Whereas the sorted folders (which can still change drastically) can be saved once a week or after major changes.

I am planning to get a mirror set (2×SATA disk) to protect against HDD failure while I sort out the keeps and throws. then these keeps get sorted into working folders by categories (I don't sort by date because it isn't relevant to my shoots). The mirrored folders are also copied to another disk on a regular basis.

I wanted a RW solution so that the working folders can be rewritten on a daily basis. Whereas the sorted folders (which can still change drastically) can be saved once a week or after major changes.
    Ah...

Then, you can join me lor. I'm using exclusively DVD-RAM media.

DVD-RAM media functions like a 4.7GB hdd - in an optical drive sense.

For my personal photo library, I use the DVD-RAM. Slow... very slow. But I always keep one DVD-RAM in my DVD writer. Whenever I'm done, I copy and paste my entire photo library (not much... that's why all can fit into 1 DVD) folder into the DVD-RAM, replacing all the files.

Usually takes me about an hour or so to copy everything over.

Just imagine the DVD-RAM like a hard disk - it helps. But I don't sell this media, and the best I can get is FujiFilm's DVD RAM... super expensive but super durable. I have 2 disks that are 2 years old already and still working fine.

For RAID, you can always opt for hardware-based RAID solutions. I have some products that might interest you. You can always drop by and I advise you then.

Hope this helps.

can the DVD-RAM drive also write DVD+R?

erm when you say super expensive is like how expensive? nevermind the media since we wouldn't use too many pieces, but the drive, how big a hole in the pocket huh?

Just got a SATA disk on a PCI/SATA controller, so thought just add another disk to get a mirror set.

can the DVD-RAM drive also write DVD+R?

erm when you say super expensive is like how expensive? nevermind the media since we wouldn't use too many pieces, but the drive, how big a hole in the pocket huh?

Just got a SATA disk on a PCI/SATA controller, so thought just add another disk to get a mirror set.
    Hmmm... the DVD-RAM drives that you see in the current market is able to burn most disk formats (maybe not the DL type).

The DVD-RAM disk 4.7GB (single sided) is about $18+ (at least that's the price I got for Maxell DVD RAM disks). DVD-RAM 9.6GB (Double sided) is not really practical.

LG is selling a super DVD Writer (with DVD-RAM, DVD-/+R, DVD-/+RW, CD R/RW) at around $200+. I think in the upcoming Comex it's going to be even cheaper!

Just don't tell my boss that I advise people to buy things from Comex hor.

When you mentioned a PCI SATA controller, does it have RAID function? Some manufacturers make just a PCI SATA controller that enable additional SATA drives to be added to the system. A PCI SATA RAID card is probably what you need leh.

Quote Originally Posted by VincentLin
    Hmmm... the DVD-RAM drives that you see in the current market is able to burn most disk formats (maybe not the DL type).

The DVD-RAM disk 4.7GB (single sided) is about $18+ (at least that's the price I got for Maxell DVD RAM disks). DVD-RAM 9.6GB (Double sided) is not really practical.

LG is selling a super DVD Writer (with DVD-RAM, DVD-/+R, DVD-/+RW, CD R/RW) at around $200+. I think in the upcoming Comex it's going to be even cheaper!

Just don't tell my boss that I advise people to buy things from Comex hor.

When you mentioned a PCI SATA controller, does it have RAID function? Some manufacturers make just a PCI SATA controller that enable additional SATA drives to be added to the system. A PCI SATA RAID card is probably what you need leh.
    mmm… super DVD writer sounds good lerz. must go and check out. you selling ar?

yah my SATA controller has RAID function, from Silicon Image.

mmm… super DVD writer sounds good lerz. must go and check out. you selling ar?

yah my SATA controller has RAID function, from Silicon Image.
    Yah, I selling. But like I said, you can get cheaper prices at Comex (maybe plus free media some more). Comex at 25 Aug to 29 Aug leh.

Silicon Image? Sounds fine to me.

Quote Originally Posted by VincentLin
    Yah, I selling. But like I said, you can get cheaper prices at Comex (maybe plus free media some more). Comex at 25 Aug to 29 Aug leh.

Silicon Image? Sounds fine to me.
    hah, so soon ar. like that have to wait for comex lor

instead of ddmmyy, i find that yymmdd is better.
    this allows my folders to be sorted according to date

Quote Originally Posted by tokrot
    Hi, Sad to hear your loss.. But btw what's the drive brand? I had this problem of losing hdds with archives years back until I realised that that PSU is the main culprit of damaging your hdds. Ever since I bought a Good PSU, I had no harddrive failure for last two yrs.. (Btw I had more than 5 hdds)
    It was an old Seagate Barracuda ATA (1st gen.). Actually transferred the pictures over because I wanted to free up a little space on my main drive (smallish 18GB Seagate Cheetah).

Computer due for upgrade anyway. Guess this time, I'm gonna get a pair of WD Raptor's for storage, a new Cheetah for OS and a cheap DVD re-writer for archiving. And keep this old Cheetah for online archiving. Sigh...
    Need a CRT for photo editing too. The LCD don't cut it for colours.

I know about the PSU issue. I ever lost a Quantum Atlas 10K III due to a problematic PSU (on another computer). And it's not likely for a drive like that to fail just like that.

RAID 1 or manual mirroring? I suggest manual mirroring. It gives you more benefits. ie. You can have one drive house pictures with swapfile and the other pictures with scratch disk. It's faster that way when you do photo editing.

I'm intending to get 2 Western D. Raptor 73GB's (10K RPM SATA) for this purpose soon.

Quote Originally Posted by Firefox
    RAID 1 or manual mirroring? I suggest manual mirroring. It gives you more benefits. ie. You can have one drive house pictures with swapfile and the other pictures with scratch disk. It's faster that way when you do photo editing.

I'm intending to get 2 Western D. Raptor 73GB's (10K RPM SATA) for this purpose soon.
    Intend for one pair of SATA disk on RAID 1, then manually "shadow" to an ATA disk, before archive to DVD+R/RW.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12