Thread: help with computer mass storage

Default help with computer mass storage

OK guys, need some help here.

Just added a SATA disk on a PCI SATA controller. My motherboard does not have SATA support.

My question now is: how do I partition this disk.
    When I boot XP CDrom it cannot see this SATA disk, only the IDE ones.
    I press F6 during XP CDrom boot to load SCSI drivers but it ask for the drivers on a floppy. Do I copy the driver files from the controller CD to a floppy?

Any other way to partition and format the disk?

anyone use SpinRite before?

thank you thank you.

You can download the drivers from the net and copy into a floppy diskette (make sure you uncompress first).
    Press F6 during the start of the WinNT installation and insert the diskette when prompted.
    You can get Partition Magic for partitioning. Very easy to use and it's fast.

Quote Originally Posted by hwchoy
    OK guys, need some help here.

Just added a SATA disk on a PCI SATA controller. My motherboard does not have SATA support.

My question now is: how do I partition this disk.
    When I boot XP CDrom it cannot see this SATA disk, only the IDE ones.
    I press F6 during XP CDrom boot to load SCSI drivers but it ask for the drivers on a floppy. Do I copy the driver files from the controller CD to a floppy?

Any other way to partition and format the disk?

anyone use SpinRite before?

thank you thank you.
    Hi ho. Are you attempting to install your WinXP into the new SATA HDD?

If not, you should install the drivers of the PCI controller card first. Let WinXP recognise the card in the system first. Once done, plug in the SATA HDD (switch off first lar, before you plug it in).

After which, you can see the SATA HDD in Disk Management (right click My Computer and select Manage). From there, initialise, partition and format.

Good to go.

yah figured out all this liaoz although I have not tried booting from the SATA yet. Question is that only during CDrom boot I load the driver, but during normal boot the mobo BIOS is not going to be able to use the controller right?

Actually later I will try to load Win98 on one of the partition. Boot from there to play some of the older games, like Janes USAF.