Results 1 to 14 of 14

Thread: Newbie asking abt lens

  1. #1

    Default Newbie asking abt lens

    I am using canon 450d
    Thinking of getting a extra lens
    Going for sigma or tamron lens

    Can I know I which kind of model should I look into?

  2. #2

    Default Re: Newbie asking abt lens

    Quote Originally Posted by kelchew View Post
    I am using canon 450d
    Thinking of getting a extra lens
    Going for sigma or tamron lens

    Can I know I which kind of model should I look into?
    You should know what lens you need. If you need to ask this question then you don't need to buy any, just stick with the kit lens until you know what you really need.

  3. #3

    Default Re: Newbie asking abt lens

    Quote Originally Posted by spree86 View Post
    You should know what lens you need. If you need to ask this question then you don't need to buy any, just stick with the kit lens until you know what you really need.
    Looking at 18-200 lens

    Need to ask can all the lens fit into my cam?

  4. #4

    Default Re: Newbie asking abt lens

    Quote Originally Posted by kelchew View Post
    Looking at 18-200 lens

    Need to ask can all the lens fit into my cam?
    If you need the extra range is guess its ok but do you really need it? For all lenses, just get the Canon mount and no problem

  5. #5

    Default Re: Newbie asking abt lens

    Quote Originally Posted by spree86 View Post
    If you need the extra range is guess its ok but do you really need it? For all lenses, just get the Canon mount and no problem
    So most of the lens I can use them? Just need to make sure it canon mount

    Oh ya the other things is do the lens come in IS?
    Which is the indicator for IS lens?

  6. #6

    Default Re: Newbie asking abt lens

    Quote Originally Posted by kelchew View Post
    So most of the lens I can use them? Just need to make sure it canon mount

    Oh ya the other things is do the lens come in IS?
    Which is the indicator for IS lens?
    Canon - IS
    Nikon - VR
    Sigma - OS
    Tamron - VC
    Tokina - none of their lenses have IS so far.

    Note that lenses that don't have IS have one less component to fail. IS/VR also drains more power from your camera (as compared to non-IS lenses), so do take note of that - if you don't need IS, don't buy a lens with IS.
    Last edited by brapodam; 18th March 2011 at 02:33 PM.

  7. #7

    Angry Re: Newbie asking abt lens

    Quote Originally Posted by brapodam View Post
    Canon - IS
    Nikon - VR
    Sigma - OS
    Tamron - VC
    Tokina - none of their lenses have IS so far.

    Note that lenses that don't have IS have one less component to fail. IS/VR also drains more power from your camera, so do take note of that.
    Oh thanks this at last I can see the different of the lens
    18-200mm F3.5-6.3 DC OS
    18-200mm F3.5-6.3 DC
    18-200mm F3.5-6.3 DC (Motorized)
    Can I know the above sigma lens dc stand for?
    Know I know os for (IS)

  8. #8

    Default Re: Newbie asking abt lens

    Quote Originally Posted by kelchew View Post
    Oh thanks this at last I can see the different of the lens
    18-200mm F3.5-6.3 DC OS
    18-200mm F3.5-6.3 DC
    18-200mm F3.5-6.3 DC (Motorized)
    Can I know the above sigma lens dc stand for?
    Know I know os for (IS)
    DC means the lens is designed for a crop sensor. Canon calls it APS-C (1.6x crop), and the other brands call it DX (1.5x crop). DG means the lens is designed for a full frame sensor. Canon 450D has a crop sensor, so it can use both DC (crop) and DG (full frame) lenses.

  9. #9

    Default Re: Newbie asking abt lens

    Quote Originally Posted by brapodam View Post
    DC means the lens is designed for a crop sensor. Canon calls it APS-C (1.6x crop), and the other brands call it DX (1.5x crop). DG means the lens is designed for a full frame sensor. Canon 450D has a crop sensor, so it can use both DC (crop) and DG (full frame) lenses.
    Thanks so much now I can go to shop and ask the price.

  10. #10

    Default Re: Newbie asking abt lens

    Quote Originally Posted by kelchew View Post
    So most of the lens I can use them? Just need to make sure it canon mount

    Oh ya the other things is do the lens come in IS?
    Which is the indicator for IS lens?
    Yeah actually all lens can be use as long it is a Canon mount. No matter it is a EF or EF-S.
    Your 450D is a APS-C type thus the camera mounting can fit both EF & EF-S lens. And Sigma will be DG & DC lens. Tamron will be Di & Di II lens.
    But do take note for Canon EF, Sigma DG & Tamron Di lens. Although you can fit but the image will appear 1.6x larger due to your APS-C sensor.
    As for FF (Full Frame) body like 5D to 1D they can't use APS-C lens like EF-S, DC or Di II. They only can use EF, DG & Di lens.

    All the lens maker have their own terms of image stabilize to minimize blur images when camera is shaking.
    For Canon IS = Image Stabilizer, Sigma OS = Optical Stabilizer & Tamron VC = Vibration Compensation.
    Hope all this info will help you understand more.
    | 5D Mark III | 24-70mm F2.8L MK II | 70-200mm F2.8L IS MK II | 600 EX-RT | Sigma 35mm F1.4 DG (A) |

  11. #11

    Default Re: Newbie asking abt lens

    Quote Originally Posted by BigBaby View Post
    Yeah actually all lens can be use as long it is a Canon mount. No matter it is a EF or EF-S.
    Your 450D is a APS-C type thus the camera mounting can fit both EF & EF-S lens. And Sigma will be DG & DC lens. Tamron will be Di & Di II lens.
    But do take note for Canon EF, Sigma DG & Tamron Di lens. Although you can fit but the image will appear 1.6x larger due to your APS-C sensor.
    As for FF (Full Frame) body like 5D to 1D they can't use APS-C lens like EF-S, DC or Di II. They only can use EF, DG & Di lens.

    All the lens maker have their own terms of image stabilize to minimize blur images when camera is shaking.
    For Canon IS = Image Stabilizer, Sigma OS = Optical Stabilizer & Tamron VC = Vibration Compensation.
    Hope all this info will help you understand more.
    Since the TS has not used a FF camera before, the crop factor doesn't really matter to him, it will just appear as he usually sees it. Mounting a FX lens on his camera does not make the image 1.6X bigger, it will be the same as DX, so as not to confuse the TS
    Last edited by spree86; 18th March 2011 at 03:12 PM.

  12. #12

    Default Re: Newbie asking abt lens

    Quote Originally Posted by BigBaby View Post
    Yeah actually all lens can be use as long it is a Canon mount. No matter it is a EF or EF-S.
    Your 450D is a APS-C type thus the camera mounting can fit both EF & EF-S lens. And Sigma will be DG & DC lens. Tamron will be Di & Di II lens.
    But do take note for Canon EF, Sigma DG & Tamron Di lens. Although you can fit but the image will appear 1.6x larger due to your APS-C sensor.
    As for FF (Full Frame) body like 5D to 1D they can't use APS-C lens like EF-S, DC or Di II. They only can use EF, DG & Di lens.

    All the lens maker have their own terms of image stabilize to minimize blur images when camera is shaking.
    For Canon IS = Image Stabilizer, Sigma OS = Optical Stabilizer & Tamron VC = Vibration Compensation.
    Hope all this info will help you understand more.
    Just to clarify, any lens that is attached to a crop sensor body will produce an image "1.6x larger". Lenses made for crop sensors just have smaller image circles, and lenses made for full frame or 35mm film cameras have larger image circles.

  13. #13
    Senior Member ZerocoolAstra's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    rainy Singapore
    Posts
    9,523

    Default Re: Newbie asking abt lens

    Quote Originally Posted by BigBaby View Post
    Yeah actually all lens can be use as long it is a Canon mount. No matter it is a EF or EF-S.
    Your 450D is a APS-C type thus the camera mounting can fit both EF & EF-S lens. And Sigma will be DG & DC lens. Tamron will be Di & Di II lens.
    But do take note for Canon EF, Sigma DG & Tamron Di lens. Although you can fit but the image will appear 1.6x larger due to your APS-C sensor.
    As for FF (Full Frame) body like 5D to 1D they can't use APS-C lens like EF-S, DC or Di II. They only can use EF, DG & Di lens.

    All the lens maker have their own terms of image stabilize to minimize blur images when camera is shaking.
    For Canon IS = Image Stabilizer, Sigma OS = Optical Stabilizer & Tamron VC = Vibration Compensation.
    Hope all this info will help you understand more.
    Just to clarify that an EF lens @ 20mm (for example) and an EF-S lens @ 20mm, both mounted to the same APS-C camera (eg Canon 450D) will give the same field of view.
    No such thing as mounting EF lens, image will be 1.6X larger...
    Exploring! :)

  14. #14

    Default Re: Newbie asking abt lens

    Tks understand it now.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •