Thread: Playground Fun

1. in what area is critique to be sought?
    Anything, but mainly composition and lightings

2. what one hopes to achieve with the piece of work?
    capture the feelings of the kid and let it flow into the viewers

3. under what circumstance is the picture taken? (physical conditions/emotions)
    Lot One shopping mall roof garden. Candid shot edited w/ GIMP

4. what the critique seeker personally thinks of the picture
    left side too dark, and maybe a slightly more blurry background would be better.

My first time posting in the critique corner. Other than critiques on the photo, please also post some on my write up.
    Last edited by seezhijie; 18th March 2011 at 02:25 PM.

Default Re: Playground Fun

It's a nice moment, but there's just loads of distractions all over the place. You should probably have used a longer lens to compress the perspective a bit, so you don't have a lot of the distractions in the background. Alternatively, change your angle so the kids are blocked by your main subject (sometimes not possible in such moments, but practice helps you anticipate moments and enable you to position yourself where you want to be). The kid also looks slightly underexposed, and colour temperature is a bit on the warm side (or is it her skin tones?). Adding a bit of vignette in post processing would also help bring the viewer's eyes to the subject.

Quote Originally Posted by brapodam
    It's a nice moment, but there's just loads of distractions all over the place. You should probably have used a longer lens to compress the perspective a bit, so you don't have a lot of the distractions in the background. Alternatively, change your angle so the kids are blocked by your main subject (sometimes not possible in such moments, but practice helps you anticipate moments and enable you to position yourself where you want to be). The kid also looks slightly underexposed, and colour temperature is a bit on the warm side (or is it her skin tones?). Adding a bit of vignette in post processing would also help bring the viewer's eyes to the subject.
    Hmm yeah I noticed too. It's quite hard to miss the kids at the back. By vignette you mean dark ones or White ones? In PS more vignette means White edges, vice versa

Default Re: Playground Fun

Quote Originally Posted by seezhijie View Post
    Hmm yeah I noticed too. It's quite hard to miss the kids at the back. By vignette you mean dark ones or White ones? In PS more vignette means White edges, vice versa
    Dark ones. White ones aren't particularly nice to look at, they're more used to correct dark edges if you want to.