View Poll Results: will u volunteer?

Voters
35. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

9 25.71%
  • No

26 74.29%
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Media pass to a sport event, will u volunteer?

Blog Entries

Default Re: Media pass to a sport event, will u volunteer?

Quote Originally Posted by Anson View Post
    Sound like YOG.... wait... I think you get a certificate after that right?
    watch what ur typing. yog was not like that.

i stand by syogoc's welfare.

as a yog youth photographer, we had media passes to various zones. rights belong to syogoc, but we are allowed to use the shots for our portfolios so i'm cool with it.

as for food, we were all given food vouchers and had buffet everyday. icecream included, free flow of coke. transportation all free.

we had a free tix to resortworld at night, had loads of fun there. we were all duely credited and our shots are all at yog park beside the floating platform. all our names are up there too.

i had a free tix to see the f1 race which i did.

made friends with a few other countries atheletes. really an eyeopener.

are u sure ur gonna say it sounds like yog?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by sfoto100
    what will become of the photography industry in the future? i really wonder...

sometimes cheap does not mean good.
    It is already becoming the future. Look at Chinggay. Compete to win a chance to shoot the Chinggay festival. If you fail to turn up, they claim damages from you. And you do not own the pics and have to use your own equipment.

Quote Originally Posted by allenleonhart View Post

as a yog youth photographer, we had media passes to various zones. rights belong to syogoc, but we are allowed to use the shots for our portfolios so i'm cool with it.

as for food, we were all given food vouchers and had buffet everyday. icecream included, free flow of coke. transportation all free.

we had a free tix to resortworld at night, had loads of fun there. we were all duely credited and our shots are all at yog park beside the floating platform. all our names are up there too.

i guess you are lucky.... i am sure some have read about the yucky food for volunteer on paper... F1 tix mailed out after F1 event over...
    40D 50mmF1.8 17-85mm 24-70L

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by allenleonhart

Wow, you made off like a bandit.

Quote Originally Posted by daredevil123 View Post
    It is already becoming the future. Look at Chinggay. Compete to win a chance to shoot the Chinggay festival. If you fail to turn up, they claim damages from you. And you do not own the pics and have to use your own equipment.
    i can't believe it! Are we like beggars for pics? oh....

Blog Entries

Wow, you made off like a bandit.
    in a sense... yea.
    but we were really treated well.

good uniforms. nice food. who will complain? spoilt brats maybe.

Re: Media pass to a sport event, will u volunteer?

don't forget the large sum of moneys spent on those lens & hi iso cams

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Majest1c View Post
    i guess you are lucky.... i am sure some have read about the yucky food for volunteer on paper... F1 tix mailed out after F1 event over...
    yea. that was more of a mistake. anyways it was a lucky draw. not something promised.

the real meaning behind volunteering, is to volunteer and give back to society.

seems like people are starting to forget the very essence of it and are demanding a lot. thats why when i hear yog volunters whine, i feel sick abt them.

Wah, claim damages from you some more, this is really bad

I think they can get away with it nowadays because a lot of the people with expensive gear these days don't know their value...they don't know the value of their time, the photos etc. That's why there are people willing to take up such shoots, and organizers looking to save costs have a very easy way of doing so.

yea. that was more of a mistake. anyways it was a lucky draw. not something promised.

seems like people are starting to forget the very essence of it and are demanding a lot. thats why when i hear yog volunters whine, i feel sick abt them.
    yea... but i heard from my friends that some of them "volunteered" and were pretty grouchy about it. but c'mon. days off work and school, not having to attend class. having good food and fun with friends? i mean, why grumble when the benefits are good? these people obviously are complaining for the wrong reasons

but i supposed for all the trouble, the F1 was a very big deal. because it was a chance to see some huge mega event on local soil and they missed it because of logistics issues.

on a similar note, i was angry when my Certificate of Excellence for the F1 arrived in the mail folded up three times (logistics at SingPost screwed up). we were only told that we might receive it, but to receive it not only late, but in a terrible state... who wouldn't be angry.

but yea. you can call the F1 tickets fiasco a partially a problem with "kiasuism", as i would term it

Actually thinking about it, i might do it if they provide all the equipment, supply transportation, beverages and a buffet thrown in, and a nice seat with tripod covering zone shooting. And no expectation whatsoever in quality of work.

Pay peanuts got monkeys.
    yes if they provide me with all these, like bro DD123 said..
    - troubled undergrad -
    Olympus XA/Canon QL17 GIII flickr

oh, if the event is something that is organized by my own school, like YOG, why not? giving back to society.. as long as i can use the images for purposes other than commercial (selling it off), like portfolio.. i'll use that as a training ground..

btw, i am not a supporter for cheapo photographers..
    - troubled undergrad -
    Olympus XA/Canon QL17 GIII flickr

Quote Originally Posted by catchlights View Post
    please use some common sense,

if you want to shoot for free to gain experience and exposure, that will only work when no one or very little people willing to shoot for free.

if many people already willing to shoot for free, the organiser able to pick the best out of a big pool of photographers.

So even you are willing, you may not even given a chance.

Since the organiser able to have constant supply of FREE and GOOD photographers, who need to hire a photographer?

when there is no prospect in this genre of photography, tell me who is the one suffer the most?
    I guess if we want to compete with the free photographers we just have to offer the organiser money for us to shoot as you can't be more free than free.

for that experience, i wouldnt mind paying to shoot hahaha lol
    canon fan boy ;D

There is always two side to a coin... some may felt it's worth it some may not. I do have friends that are volunteers (with two E) in YOG. On the other hand I also have friends that are hired (paid) to shoot for companies participating in YOG.

At the end of the day... if you think it's worth your while to shoot for free, who is stopping you?

depends on what sports event.... and how much access you get with the media pass if not good might as well buy a ticket and keep all rights to your pics...
    D3100

I might sign up if I wanted to watch the event more than taking the photos.

Maybe to build portfolio if I starting out to turn pro.
    Plantwerkz - Beautiful Plants RandomJake- Fun
    Big Life Treats - Gift of Experience

Quote Originally Posted by Netasia View Post
    Hi all, pls dont get me wrong, i'm not an event organiser trying to get free photography service. I'm asking this because this is the term given by a local organisation, if you wish to get the media pass for some event coverage. Personally I dont feel good about it, not to say I'm a good photographer but I still like the idea of owning the photos I took.
    don't worry, I'm not directing to you.
    my post is to those people who is think using this method to gain experience, building portfolio and access to particular field.

just take birthday party event coverage as an example, people will still need these type of photos, but none of them willing to hire photographers, some come here to look for free photographers, in the name of "TFCD".

Let say "John", a photographer have done a few of such events in the term of TFCD, collected a lot of "portfolio". So what? does John really think those people he had helped will refer some "real" customers to him? someone someday will hire him to cover birthday parties?

Think about it again.
    Shoot to Live, Live to Shoot
    www.benjaminloo.com | iStock portfolio

Quote Originally Posted by Sion View Post
    I guess if we want to compete with the free photographers we just have to offer the organiser money for us to shoot as you can't be more free than free.
    lol, yes, you can't beat the "free offer" unless you need offer something more than free.
    Shoot to Live, Live to Shoot
    www.benjaminloo.com | iStock portfolio

Quote Originally Posted by Netasia View Post
    Hi all, pls dont get me wrong, i'm not an event organiser trying to get free photography service. I'm asking this because this is the term given by a local organisation, if you wish to get the media pass for some event coverage. Personally I dont feel good about it, not to say I'm a good photographer but I still like the idea of owning the photos I took.
    mind sharing which local organisation/event?

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast