Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Newbie. List of things I'm buying. Need opinions from you guys.

Default Re: Newbie. List of things I'm buying. Need opinions from you guys.

Quote Originally Posted by liyanayacob View Post
    Hi guys!

So I am going to purchase my first dslr either tomorrow or friday. I will list down the things I would like to buy. Maybe you guys could give me some final say/tips/opinions and maybe add on to the must have list for beginners.

- Canon 550D kit (EF 18-55 IS)
    - EF 50 mm f1.8 mk II prime lens
    - Sandisk 8/16gb SDHC class 10 card
    (will be buying those stated above from slr revolution at funan. Wise choice? And will they give any free goodies, like camera bags, etc? )

- Digi-Cabi AD 50L dry cabinet
    - ?... filters perhaps?
    - ?
    Any other things to add on? Thanks
    1) Try using the 18-55 with the lens set at 50mm before deciding to buy the 50prime.
    2) There *should* be a free 8GB Class4 SD card as freebie. If u wanna save the few $, wait till it show to get the Class 10 card (That's what i did, got a lenspen freebie too)
    3) You need tripod (I like Manfrotto hehe)
    4) You need camera bag (freebie camera bag like no use.. Just buy a camera bag, Lowepro, Vanguard, Crumpler, etc.)
    5) 50L digi cabi very very big. Are u gonna put so much stuff inside? Maybe u wanna get a smaller 1 and divert the savings to fund for new lens )
    6) Filters.. Kit lens and the 50/1.8 no need get so good imo.. When buy those exp lenses, then invest in really gd filters.. Hoya seems gd enough for most..
    7) Remote trigger for taking shots when mounted on tripod / bulb exposure?

Hope this helps
    Nikon D7000 + MB-D11 | Tamron 17-50 VC | SB-700 |

Default Re: Newbie. List of things I'm buying. Need opinions from you guys.

Quote Originally Posted by Nubzz View Post
    1) Try using the 18-55 with the lens set at 50mm before deciding to buy the 50prime.
    2) There *should* be a free 8GB Class4 SD card as freebie. If u wanna save the few $, wait till it show to get the Class 10 card (That's what i did, got a lenspen freebie too)
    3) You need tripod (I like Manfrotto hehe)
    4) You need camera bag (freebie camera bag like no use.. Just buy a camera bag, Lowepro, Vanguard, Crumpler, etc.)
    5) 50L digi cabi very very big. Are u gonna put so much stuff inside? Maybe u wanna get a smaller 1 and divert the savings to fund for new lens )
    6) Filters.. Kit lens and the 50/1.8 no need get so good imo.. When buy those exp lenses, then invest in really gd filters.. Hoya seems gd enough for most..
    7) Remote trigger for taking shots when mounted on tripod / bulb exposure?

Hope this helps
    Yup, cheap UV filters are all crap and reduce the image quality of lenses. My opinion is that if you want to get a UV filter, get the best ones out there (Hoya, B+W). Otherwise don't get. However, with the kit lens and the 50/1.8, a Hoya HD or B+W filter will probably cost more than the lens itself, and it does not make sense for your lens protection to be more expensive than your lens itself. So if you want protection for the cheap lenses, just use a lens hood.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12