Thread: Do i need an external flash for travelling?

Default Do i need an external flash for travelling?

HI CSers,

I need your opinions whether i need to bring my external flash for my coming trip to bali. items confirm bring along:

d90 + tam 17-50
    travel tripod
    compact cam

i actually don't really know what to shoot/expect there. other than the usual tourist spots.. i kinda interested in shooting people.

Default Re: Do i need an external flash for travelling?

Not if you have:
    - D3s or
    - D700 or
    - You are too shy to use flash and attract attention or
    - You are going to place that prevents flash like those cultural shows

In Bali you can shoot, landscape (the sea, temples, ... ...), people, monuments, sunset, sunrise, food, ... ... The last time I went, I didn't use flash.

Quote Originally Posted by bleed88 View Post
    HI CSers,

I need your opinions whether i need to bring my external flash for my coming trip to bali. items confirm bring along:

d90 + tam 17-50
    travel tripod
    compact cam

i actually don't really know what to shoot/expect there. other than the usual tourist spots.. i kinda interested in shooting people.
    Its good to carry along, but if you want to shoot people that you don't know, its better not to use flash on them. Bring a fast zoom with you.
    A tripod is good if you are going to shoot lots of low lights long exposure shots.
    Certain places restrict the use of flash.
    I use to carry my flash with me on my travels but I hardly get to use it so I leave it at home when I travel nowadays
    Carrying lots of gears weighs you down.
    But its up to you
    Take the shot!

Thanks guys for the head-ups.
    this is going to be my 1st time traveling with a dslr, basically a new experience. i'll try to keep gears to the minimum, not that i have a lot anyway, so i can enjoy this trip too.
    madmartian -the tripod mainly for self potrait lah.. lol! and some landscape.. hands still not that stable for good shot.
    shelomoh - its not really about shyness, i just scared i might offend ppl there. foreign land leh...

Are you familiar with flash photography? If not, just skip it and learn once you are back home. Enjoy the holidays and take pictures in those conditions where you can focus on composition and capturing the right moment in daylight. Otherwise it might spoil the fun. Bali is just 2.5h away, easy to get there again later with flash
    EOS

Have to agree with Octarine -- flash or no flash depends on your preferred shooting style, and if you're not reasonably experienced with it, you may find yourself 'learning on the job' and wasting shooting opps.

Thanks guys for the head-ups.
    this is going to be my 1st time traveling with a dslr, basically a new experience. i'll try to keep gears to the minimum, not that i have a lot anyway, so i can enjoy this trip too.
    madmartian -the tripod mainly for self potrait lah.. lol! and some landscape.. hands still not that stable for good shot.
    shelomoh - its not really about shyness, i just scared i might offend ppl there. foreign land leh...
    personally i would advise against setting up the camera on tripod and take self-portrait. something or someone may knock against it, or strong gust of wind topple it. worse if someone actually grab it and run.

i do bring my flash for all travel, its better to not use it than to not have it (provided you have good knowledge on how to use it already). but thats just me.
    Last edited by Alan Chan; 17th March 2011 at 02:36 PM.
    Nikon D700| 70-200mm f/2.8G VR2| 28-70mm f/2.8D| 85mm f/1.8G| 50mm f/1.8G| SB900/SB28| MB-D10

just bring a small flash....

Blog Entries

Flash can come in handy especially if you want to shoot portraits of your loved ones in dark conditions like sunset or sunrise.

When dining on seafood on Jimbaran beach at sunset, you will need a flash if you want to capture that moment with your loved ones. *yum*. That feeling of that dinner is amazing, watching the sunset while munching on seafood.

octarine & edwin - still learning flash photography, sumhow enjoying it too. main point is to enjoy the trip.. i'll take note.

alan - self potrait is to the minimum. sumhow i don't wanna spoil the photo with my face in it. but still need some for 'evidence'.. hehehe!

tuwink - sadly i only have sb700.

daredevil123 - i heard a lot abt that dinner, but sadly i'm setting my foot in bali alone. meeting some friends but most of the time alone. so i'll skip that romantic getaway.

Blog Entries

I normally bring my sb-800
    But I just got myself a SB-400 for daily and travel use, keep the SB-800 for work

since with friends can ask them to take picture of you, and if they do not have steady hands, flash can help to prevent camera shake.
    Nikon D700| 70-200mm f/2.8G VR2| 28-70mm f/2.8D| 85mm f/1.8G| 50mm f/1.8G| SB900/SB28| MB-D10

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by bleed88
    daredevil123 - i heard a lot abt that dinner, but sadly i'm setting my foot in bali alone. meeting some friends but most of the time alone. so i'll skip that romantic getaway.
    Sorry to hear that you are missing it. It is one of the highlights of bali.

Even if I go to bali alone, I will still hit Jimbaran beach for sunset. It is just so unbelievably beautiful.
    Last edited by daredevil123; 18th March 2011 at 08:45 AM.

If you have SB-400, just bring it along to use as a fill-flash. In fact if you attach SB-400 onto your body, you won't fill it much.
    I have taken my DSLR on at least 5 overseas trips. I do use external flash (SB900) but not that often. So now I just bring SB600 just in case and it's lighter. If only I didn't sell away my SB-400... :~

Thanx for the input guys. I think i'll just bring it.

Alan : nice idea. But my friends= party. So the only time they'll be ard is when i'm partying. Lol!

Daredevil: maybe next time, any idea whether tat area reachable using motorbike? Dun mind dropping by frm kuta if its not tat far...

Blog Entries

Thanx for the input guys. I think i'll just bring it.

Alan : nice idea. But my friends= party. So the only time they'll be ard is when i'm partying. Lol!

Daredevil: maybe next time, any idea whether tat area reachable using motorbike? Dun mind dropping by frm kuta if its not tat far...
    Yes, reachable. But it is a little further out.