Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: A daddy's backpack

Default Re: A daddy's backpack

I done traveling with my daughter using a few options :

1. Waist pack for camera -there are models from Lowepro, Tamrac, Tatonka, etc. I use the Lowepro one now. Had a Tatonka one that I really liked. Doubles as a sling type camera bag in crowded places where you want the bag in the front. This frees up the shoulder for a standard backpack/daybag.It also distributes the weight of the camera gear from waist down, reliving the shoulders and back of its weight.
    Baby stuff will go into a separate daypack.

2. Shoulder bag (Saffrotto - Domke F3 copy). Very large bag. Fits loads of camera stuff with separate compartment space left for baby clothes and diapers. Wet/water/food goes into either the side pockets or a daypack.

One more thing. Don't look at the baby stroller as a hinderence. It can be make life much more comfortable. Baby can sleep, drink milk, rest, change diaper on it. It also serves as 'pack mule' to hang your camera bag and daypack. You only have the few seconds inconvenience loading it up a transport vehicle.
    Bring one unless you are very sure you are always on unpaved roads.

Good luck, enjoy your trip and post up the photos when you are back
    It is perfectly fine to bring one for Phuket.
    Last edited by pinholecam; 23rd March 2011 at 10:56 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by pinholecam View Post

1. Waist pack for camera -there are models from Lowepro, Tamrac, Tatonka, etc. I use the Lowepro one now. Had a Tatonka one that I really liked. Doubles as a sling type camera bag in crowded places where you want the bag in the front. This frees up the shoulder for a standard backpack/daybag.It also distributes the weight of the camera gear from waist down, reliving the shoulders and back of its weight.

2. Shoulder bag (Saffrotto - Domke F3 copy). Very large bag. Fits loads of camera stuff with separate compartment space left for baby clothes and diapers. Wet/water/food goes into either the side pockets or a daypack.

One more thing. Don't look at the baby stroller as a hinderence. It can be make life much more comfortable. Baby can sleep, drink milk, rest, change diaper on it. It also serves as 'pack mule' to hang your camera bag and daypack. You only have the few seconds inconvenience loading it up a transport vehicle.

totally agree with you on the stroller point. but not for hongkong mongkok usage. So crowded it was difficult to move around in HK.

Quote Originally Posted by chanzdad View Post
    was in the same scenario as u and did my share of cam/baby gear bag hunting. i ended up my search w 2 options. for backpack i use the lowepro flipside 400. for sling bag i use the thinktank ud35.

my experience is ur cam and lenses can be pack into the main compartment. baby clothes too. I dun feel safe with fluids inside the bag so i got 2 lens pouches to attach to bags. I put the bottles of water and milk bottle there. if you dun like too many pouches the side pouch of the bags are actually good enough. the diapers and clothes can pack into the main compartment and I even manage to squeeze in my 13" laptop there. all the laptop cable and charge stay in my check in bag. any quick draw stuff such as wetwipes and spare diapers can packed in the front pouch too. it is quite spacious there.

the most equipment i travel with were d700, 70-200mm (didnt use much on my trip), AFD 35mm f2, 50mmF1.4. flash sb900. my cam charger and harddisk.
    Hi chanzdad,

Thanks for sharing! Actually isn't it troublesome to carry 2 bags when you are walking around? I can imagine a scenario of carrying a backpack, sling bag, pushing the stroller, and using the camera at the same time...AND not forgetting keeping a lookout on your kid's safety and mummy's shopping bags.....gosh!!! In fact when I move around locally with my family, carrying a sling camera bag, diaper bag and having the camera sling over your neck is already a challenge.

So that is why I am thinking to just get a backpack that fit all my stuffs to minimize the loads but I am just not sure if there is any disadvantages other than the liquid and camera issue. I have only spotted the FastPack 350 that meet my requirement closest but I haven't buy it. Bottom compartment for photography gear, top compartment for baby stuffs, and there is a 15.5" laptop compartment which will be useful when I get a laptop or the iPad2. My wife has already ask me if her coming soon iPad2 be able to fit in....Haha! I guess what is missing from the bag will probably be a weather cover and the side pouches.

Any thoughts from the daddies?
    A camera a day keeps me happy!
    Flickr me!

Oh yes...the stroller is definitely going with me for practical reasons as mentioned by you and on top of that....it can be my wife's shopping cart. Since the stroller is a bulky item, that is why I am having the idea of having just 1 bag for everything. Having everything in 1 bag may sound nice but I am just not sure if it is really practical, so I am seeking advices from the experienced buddies in CS.

Carrying a daypack and waist bag sounds like carrying the FBO during the army days.....haha! There will be times when I need to carry stroller instead of pushing and not forgetting the bags from shopping spree....
    Flickr me!

Saw a backpack for parent in a maternity shop in Causeway Point. Very colorful and lot of compartments, some comes with wet towel compartment. One with milk bottle pouch which I think can use to put zoom lens. I nearly got it till the salesgirl told me to take a look at the Nex main store which got more variety there. Was told this range of bags is made in Holland, some goes below $200. Look very well made to me.

Hi, from a mummy's pov here.. Y not carry 2 bags. Daddy with cam bag n mummy with baby bag. Then daddy incharge of baby, stroller n hang all shopping bags thr while mummy enjoy shopping

Quote Originally Posted by badtzdiana View Post
    Hi, from a mummy's pov here.. Y not carry 2 bags. Daddy with cam bag n mummy with baby bag. Then daddy incharge of baby, stroller n hang all shopping bags thr while mummy enjoy shopping
    That is a common scenario which most traveling parents will think of but I just find that all these bags can really get in the way while moving around. Anyway I just want to carry everything by myself as long I am able to cope with the weight, so that my wife and kid can enjoy more... Currently I do have 2 sling camera bags but they are purely camera bags with no additional storage space to act as the diaper bag. So I am considering a camera backpack to give me a balanced weight on my shoulder as compared to the one-sided sling that can be very taxing for the shoulder when travelling for long hours....when we travel, it will normally be the full day before we return to the hotel to end our day.
    Flickr me!

Quote Originally Posted by jameskkmok View Post
    Saw a backpack for parent in a maternity shop in Causeway Point. Very colorful and lot of compartments, some comes with wet towel compartment. One with milk bottle pouch which I think can use to put zoom lens. I nearly got it till the salesgirl told me to take a look at the Nex main store which got more variety there. Was told this range of bags is made in Holland, some goes below $200. Look very well made to me.
    What is the brand? SkipHop? I do have a diaper bag but the storage space is not well designed for both photography equipments and baby stuffs...
    Flickr me!

Quote Originally Posted by SumoBear View Post
    Hi chanzdad,

Thanks for sharing! Actually isn't it troublesome to carry 2 bags when you are walking around? I can imagine a scenario of carrying a backpack, sling bag, pushing the stroller, and using the camera at the same time...AND not forgetting keeping a lookout on your kid's safety and mummy's shopping bags.....gosh!!! In fact when I move around locally with my family, carrying a sling camera bag, diaper bag and having the camera sling over your neck is already a challenge.

So that is why I am thinking to just get a backpack that fit all my stuffs to minimize the loads but I am just not sure if there is any disadvantages other than the liquid and camera issue. I have only spotted the FastPack 350 that meet my requirement closest but I haven't buy it. Bottom compartment for photography gear, top compartment for baby stuffs, and there is a 15.5" laptop compartment which will be useful when I get a laptop or the iPad2. My wife has already ask me if her coming soon iPad2 be able to fit in....Haha! I guess what is missing from the bag will probably be a weather cover and the side pouches.

Any thoughts from the daddies?
    oh maybe i misled u. I use only 1 bag at a time so if i use backpack it will be the flipside 400.
    If i use sling bag it will be my ud35. I dun use both bags at same time.

Oh yes...the stroller is definitely going with me for practical reasons as mentioned by you and on top of that....it can be my wife's shopping cart. Since the stroller is a bulky item, that is why I am having the idea of having just 1 bag for everything. Having everything in 1 bag may sound nice but I am just not sure if it is really practical, so I am seeking advices from the experienced buddies in CS.

Carrying a daypack and waist bag sounds like carrying the FBO during the army days.....haha! There will be times when I need to carry stroller instead of pushing and not forgetting the bags from shopping spree....
    Carry 2 packs is more convinient than one.
    Here are the advantages :
    1. You can have your gear slung in front in crowded places to ward against pickpockets
    2. You can have rapid access to lenses and equipment when slung in front.
    3. If will not become frustrating like one backpack, having to stop, take things (eg. lens) out, etc, every now and then.
    4. If you are really tired, your wife can help you carry the daypack for a while

Another tip/advise.
    Need to 'Kan De Kai" (close one eye). Baby will not eat/sleep/etc to schedule. If you are the type who gets very frustrated when baby does not follow schedule, I really suggest leaving baby with caregivers (eg. parents) at home.
    Schedule can be really screwed up. Baby sleep late; last minute poo-poo; prepare food; etc can mean leaving hotel at 10am-11am instead of 8am.
    Can't take lunch at 11.30am cause in the middle of nowhere? drink milk first and nibble on some biscuits/baby canned food/etc.
    Only this way you get to keep your sanity.

oh maybe i misled u. I use only 1 bag at a time so if i use backpack it will be the flipside 400.
    If i use sling bag it will be my ud35. I dun use both bags at same time.
    Oh ok....I did consider the Flipside 400 but the extra laptop compartment from the Fastpack series is good to have....who knows I may need to carry a laptop or mobile digital tab. Anyway I am looking forward to a free day to go window shopping...actually I spotted the bags from DD electronics website, they are relatively cheap but I am not sure if it is good to buy from them...reliable? I know the forum has a on-going thread about DD Electronic but I do not have the time to read all.
    Flickr me!

Carry 2 packs is more convinient than one.
    Here are the advantages :
    1. You can have your gear slung in front in crowded places to ward against pickpockets
    2. You can have rapid access to lenses and equipment when slung in front.
    3. If will not become frustrating like one backpack, having to stop, take things (eg. lens) out, etc, every now and then.
    4. If you are really tired, your wife can help you carry the daypack for a while

Another tip/advise.
    Need to 'Kan De Kai" (close one eye). Baby will not eat/sleep/etc to schedule. If you are the type who gets very frustrated when baby does not follow schedule, I really suggest leaving baby with caregivers (eg. parents) at home.
    Schedule can be really screwed up. Baby sleep late; last minute poo-poo; prepare food; etc can mean leaving hotel at 10am-11am instead of 8am.
    Can't take lunch at 11.30am cause in the middle of nowhere? drink milk first and nibble on some biscuits/baby canned food/etc.
    Only this way you get to keep your sanity.
    Hmmm....you maybe right but I think will go and take a look at the bags before deciding. And yes...I am quite flexible with moving around with my kid, no fixed schedule to things....but definitely I will be out of the hotel for long hours unless I am just roaming around the hotel area. Thanks for the advises...cheers
    Flickr me!

Lowepro fastpack 350 going at $100 @ B&S

Oh ok....I did consider the Flipside 400 but the extra laptop compartment from the Fastpack series is good to have....who knows I may need to carry a laptop or mobile digital tab. Anyway I am looking forward to a free day to go window shopping...actually I spotted the bags from DD electronics website, they are relatively cheap but I am not sure if it is good to buy from them...reliable? I know the forum has a on-going thread about DD Electronic but I do not have the time to read all.
    one more thing on the flipside which i like is the security as the main compartment open from the"back"side so more difficult to steal ur stuff. At most the pickpocket can get a pile of diapers and wet tissue.

What is the brand? SkipHop? I do have a diaper bag but the storage space is not well designed for both photography equipments and baby stuffs...
    Just check, the brand is 'allerhand' made in Germany.

So sumobear u bought your bag? I m also looking for such bag. Fastpack look good, the lap top space is useful. Any other similar one.

what bout Crumpler sinking barge? top can put your baby stuff and laptop then below you can put camera + 2 lens.
    5DMK3+BG-E11 |Sigma 15mm F2.8 FishEye|35mm F1.4ART|17-40 F4L|70-200 F2.8 L|Alienbees B800+580exII

one more thing on the flipside which i like is the security as the main compartment open from the"back"side so more difficult to steal ur stuff. At most the pickpocket can get a pile of diapers and wet tissue.
    Oh yah I noticed that "back"side feature on accessing the camera stuffs. But I still kind of prefer the secondary opening on the side for quick access especially when you are on the move. There are really many pros and cons when comes to choosing a product, brands just do not want to perfect their products to meet requirements. For example, I do wish that there is a weather cover for the Fastpack but unfortunatelly there isn't one....
    Flickr me!

Quote Originally Posted by jameskkmok View Post
    Just check, the brand is 'allerhand' made in Germany.
    Oh I know that brand.....but it is purely a diaper bag which it is not suitable to fit the DSLR...maybe the 3/4 cams will fit nicely.
    Flickr me!

Quote Originally Posted by scanman View Post
    So sumobear u bought your bag? I m also looking for such bag. Fastpack look good, the lap top space is useful. Any other similar one.
    Most likely to get the Fastpack as I havent see much other better options, cost is a factor so the Lowepro meets price and I like the design of the Lowepro.

Quote Originally Posted by tznyein View Post
    what bout Crumpler sinking barge? top can put your baby stuff and laptop then below you can put camera + 2 lens.
    hmmm....that is similar to Lowepro Fastpack but I am not so keen about the big bags from Crumpler, I just love their small bags and pouches...In fact I have a friend who backpacks a lot had advised me to avoid the Crumpler bags because they are more likely to be targeted by the thieves as they are bold in design and easily spotted among the crowd. Nowadays the thieves are educated, they even know what kind of cameras and equipments are valuable.

My friend did encountered this mishap when traveling in Thailand, his travel coach was parked in the lower deck of the ferry when crossing the river and every passengers are required to leave the deck. The crossing of river took about 15 minutes and by the time my friend and other passengers (backpackers) get back to their coach, many of their bags were cut open. My friend was lucky as the thieves are not interested in his Canon 400D and kit lens but his iPhone was stolen. On the other side of the coach, there was a professional photographer who was there to shoot landscape loses his big crumpler bag of L lenses and full frame-bodies. They should just carry their important and expensive stuffs, even lock and key does not help. My friend have heard and experienced many mishap with Crumpler bags...
    Last edited by SumoBear; 28th March 2011 at 10:27 AM.
    Flickr me!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast