Thread: Any good and free/open source Noise Reduction Software to recommend?

Default Any good and free/open source Noise Reduction Software to recommend?

Hi all.

Like to seek CS-ers recommendations and opinions as stated in the title.

Do you use or have any noise reduction softwares which are good and free/open source to recommend? Am a hobbyist, but certain website's image compression result in very poor image quality, so am looking to salvage the situation.

Thanks in advance!
    Last edited by CPhotography; 17th March 2011 at 09:06 AM.
    Canon 6D | 24-105L | 17-40L | 50 1.4

Default Re: Any good and free/open source Noise Reduction Software to recommend?

Unless you have the RAW file, it is almost impossible to do what you stated properly. Noise Reduction software works based on its knowledge of which camera took the image, then it applies NR algorithm to the RAW file to counter the noise. This is because noise created by diff camera has its own "pattern". This "pattern" will be further distorted if the image is converted to JPG, thus NR won't be fully effective on JPG.

Anyway, I use Lightroom for NR. Not sure whether there is any free one out there.

Default Re: Any good and free/open source Noise Reduction Software to recommend?

Quote Originally Posted by CPhotography View Post
    but certain website's image compression result in very poor image quality, so am looking to salvage the situation.
    This has NOTHING to do with Noise Reduction. Even if you upload a perfect, noise-free image, the site will still compress it in the same way.

The solution is not to use that site.
    Alpha

Quote Originally Posted by VB2009 View Post
    Unless you have the RAW file, it is almost impossible to do what you stated properly. Noise Reduction software works based on its knowledge of which camera took the image, then it applies NR algorithm to the RAW file to counter the noise. This is because noise created by diff camera has its own "pattern". This "pattern" will be further distorted if the image is converted to JPG, thus NR won't be fully effective on JPG.

Anyway, I use Lightroom for NR. Not sure whether there is any free one out there.
    thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Rashkae View Post
    This has NOTHING to do with Noise Reduction. Even if you upload a perfect, noise-free image, the site will still compress it in the same way.

The solution is not to use that site.
    I understand that the site will still compress the image in the same way. however, the compression of the site seems to worsen the image and make the noise more apparent. I tried using NR softwares and they seem to counter the problem pretty well, such that they looked better when uploaded, which led to me to look for any other NR softwares. thanks.

closed.
    Canon 6D | 24-105L | 17-40L | 50 1.4