Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Trip to Mount Kinabalu in December '04

Went KK last May, it was raining though it was supposed to be the best season. Be prepared.

Do note that there are 2 trails up KK: the Mesilau and the old trail. I recommend the Mesilau trail as it is more scenic (more photo opp!) and quieter. However, this trail is longer and more challenging, so train up before attempting it.

If you cant get enough people for your trip, you might want to consider joining an adventure tour like those by BOAC (http://www.boac-online.com/) We spent about SGD 700+ for the trip which include airfare, accommodation, transport and trekking pass.
    Last edited by cyanbloodbane; 12th August 2004 at 08:52 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by cyanbloodbane
    Went KK last May, it was raining though it was supposed to be the best season. Be prepared.

Do note that there are 2 trails up KK: the Mesilau and the old trail. I recommend the Mesilau trail as it is more scenic (more photo opp!) and quieter. However, this trail is longer and more challenging, so train up before attempting it.

If you cant get enough people for your trip, you might want to consider joining an adventure tour like those by BOAC (http://www.boac-online.com/) We spent about SGD 700+ for the trip which include airfare, accommodation, transport and trekking pass.
    Thanks for the advice and the link! I will check it out!
    The equipment can only bring you so far - the rest of the photographic journey is done by you.

If u are going to KK, book the airasia flight at least 1.5 month in advance to get the ticket starting fare. And the climbing trail, it os recommended to try Mersilau for more flora.

And when you are back to the ground of KK from Mt Kinabalu, try to get transport to go to "Salut" for seafood, it's near Sepangar Bay. It's better than most the seafood in JB.

The heavy downpour usually happen on your way going up to and down from Laban Rata when it's ranning season. Sometimes when you are up to Laban Rata, if there's strong wind, you might not be able to continue the climb (this rarely happen).

IF you are also planning to go to the pulau, dont take the Manukan Island, take the Sapi Island. And yes, KK is very hot, not like Singapore warm and humid. It's really hot.

Quote Originally Posted by shorty
    If u are going to KK, book the airasia flight at least 1.5 month in advance to get the ticket starting fare. And the climbing trail, it os recommended to try Mersilau for more flora.

And when you are back to the ground of KK from Mt Kinabalu, try to get transport to go to "Salut" for seafood, it's near Sepangar Bay. It's better than most the seafood in JB.

The heavy downpour usually happen on your way going up to and down from Laban Rata when it's ranning season. Sometimes when you are up to Laban Rata, if there's strong wind, you might not be able to continue the climb (this rarely happen).

IF you are also planning to go to the pulau, dont take the Manukan Island, take the Sapi Island. And yes, KK is very hot, not like Singapore warm and humid. It's really hot.
    Yup, I've experienced the heat! Can die! hehe... but really, it was only the trek down past the Laban Rata, the summit when I went there was freezing!

Thanks also for the advice on climbing and also about the booking of the air-ticket. This is why I need as many names as possible of those people interested before november so that I can get the travel agent to book the tickets!

Cheers!
    The equipment can only bring you so far - the rest of the photographic journey is done by you.

Quote Originally Posted by ralphii82sg
    is this thingy still on??

Yup... still on... but i'll bring this thread back to life in october!

Keep informed!

Hi!

This trip is still on! Those interested please create a list and put it here!

be in fit shape...need to get those muscles in ur legs strong. recommend climbing up and down stairs...as those are the muscles which will be used a lot..since mt kinabalu is mostly a walk upwards......used to live in Sabah...

Quote Originally Posted by BurgaFlippinMan
    be in fit shape...need to get those muscles in ur legs strong. recommend climbing up and down stairs...as those are the muscles which will be used a lot..since mt kinabalu is mostly a walk upwards......used to live in Sabah...
    Yup! Bear in mind that the trip to the top has no steps... You'll be scaling bare rock... I love that part of the trip!

Yes nickmak you need to train more as u are carry your big camera =)

I want to go but don/t know if I can physically make it.

Flyingpig: Hehe... Do you wanna come along?

jbma: Bro, can lah, can make it to the top! You are not that old what! If you can go please come along!

I wanna go!!! But not sure whether parents allow or not :S

Quote Originally Posted by Flyingpig
    I wanna go!!! But not sure whether parents allow or not :S
    Aiyah bro, tell your parents I'm 18 and had climbed the mountain before so tell them don't worry. You in good hands...

Ok i will ask them after my exams! Since it's in december..i can take my time to comfirm hor?

Ok i will ask them after my exams! Since it's in december..i can take my time to comfirm hor?
    Erm... I think you have to confirm by mid-November at the very very very very latest because have to book flights right? And also all the accomodation and stuff so have to take time to plan out too...

Quote Originally Posted by nickmak
    Erm... I think you have to confirm by mid-November at the very very very very latest because have to book flights right? And also all the accomodation and stuff so have to take time to plan out too...
    Alright.... =)

Alright.... =)
    Great! Hope to see you there soon!

Talking

Hi Gals n Guys !
    Just came back from climbing MK. Stongly suggest that those folks who are intending of going be committed to some sort of trainning. We took about 5 hours to reach Laban Rata resthouse. Eventhough there were footpath, at certain stretch, we have to go on "four wheels." You leave the rest house at 2.00 am. Reached the summit around 6.00 am. Take some pix and descent to the rest house by 9.00am. Have your breakfast, short rest, pack yor stuff and start descending. The descent is equally tough. When you reached te main entrance......your legs will somewhat disobey your command.

Take care and have fun.

Hi,

It reminds me when I was descending the mountain... Wished I was on a wheelchair...

But it was a beautiful sight wasn't it? I highly recommend that those of you interested be fit enough, I mean able to climb flights of stairs with no problem.

As said before, I have done this trip with a 15 kg backpack and managed it so i can't see why anyone cannot do it. For those interested, please start putting your name here because I will have to plan the trip and do the costing and feedback about 3 weeks before the trip. As most of you know, I don't live in S'pore so you have to give me time to do all those things.

Please put you name on the list:

1) nickmak
    2)
    3)
    4)
    5)
    6)
    ... etc...

Cheers.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast