Results 1 to 13 of 13

Thread: CF card for Canon 300D

  1. #1

    Default CF card for Canon 300D

    Hi,

    Currently using a slow 512MB CF card. I shout in JPEG with the highest resloution. It take about 2-3 second to write to the CF card. Cannot click again until finished writing. Thinking of buying a Lexar 40X WA CF card. But not sure whether will it help much because afraid that the bottleneck lies with the camera or camera firmware. Appreciate if anyone can help.

    Thanks

  2. #2

    Default

    If I remember correctly, the Write Acceleration feature on the Lexar cards are not supported by the 300D...For times when I need performance, I will use my 256 MB Ultra II or the 512 MB Extreme...both performs pretty well.. The new SanDisk 512 MB cards are also not bad.. But I think a Kingston 40x card should outperform it and it's almost the same price or cheaper..

  3. #3
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Western Singapore
    Posts
    432

    Default

    Have tested 300D with Scandisk normal 20x and sandisk ultra II 64x, it did improve on writing speed but the improvement is little. Bottle neck lies with the i/o of the cam.

  4. #4

    Default

    So I guess no point spending money on a fast CF card since the improvement in minimum.

  5. #5
    Moderator nightwolf75's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    really MORE diaper changes
    Posts
    17,867
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default

    check this out to find out which card is the best. http://www.robgalbraith.com/bins/mul...e.asp?cid=6007

    personally, i use the lexar 40x WA 1GB card. write/read speeds are good. takes 2-3 secs to write on RAW file.
    If Life worked on auto mode then manual mode for photography would have never existed. ― Deeksha Mittal

  6. #6

    Default

    looking at the figures for 300d from the CF database, it's not really worth the premium to buy the fast CFs. A "slow" kingston is about 998kb/s while a "top-end" lexar 80x is about 1200kb/s.. for that 20% more in performance, you pay almost 100% more (for the 512kb one). worth it? if you really need that speed.

    Since the raw files take about 2-3s, I guess you save maybe 1/2 sec with the fastest cards.

  7. #7
    Moderator nightwolf75's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    really MORE diaper changes
    Posts
    17,867
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by chaotic
    looking at the figures for 300d from the CF database, it's not really worth the premium to buy the fast CFs. A "slow" kingston is about 998kb/s while a "top-end" lexar 80x is about 1200kb/s.. for that 20% more in performance, you pay almost 100% more (for the 512kb one). worth it? if you really need that speed.

    Since the raw files take about 2-3s, I guess you save maybe 1/2 sec with the fastest cards.
    actually, it does matter, esp when u need to download the pics later. true, 300D dun support WA technology. however, the faster write speeds (whether lexar or sandisk) ensures that your shooting lag time is cut to the minimum. i used a silicon power 30x 256MB CF card b4. even at the so-called 30x, the write speeds are not as fast as my current 40x lexar WA. my opinion is that every little bit of speed u can squeeze out helps.

    of the 2, sandisk Ultra II cost more than lexar WA 40x. u dun need to go for the more expensive 80x. 40x will do just nice. also, try to get 1GB CF instead of the 512MB. the price difference is not dat much. and a 512MB card will fill up pretty fast. 1GB CF card gives u ~130-150 RAW files on a 300D (depending on the settings). the last time i checked, 1GB lexar 40x is going for $350+.
    If Life worked on auto mode then manual mode for photography would have never existed. ― Deeksha Mittal

  8. #8
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Yishun
    Posts
    589

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by IronKong
    Hi,

    Currently using a slow 512MB CF card. I shout in JPEG with the highest resloution. It take about 2-3 second to write to the CF card. Cannot click again until finished writing. Thinking of buying a Lexar 40X WA CF card. But not sure whether will it help much because afraid that the bottleneck lies with the camera or camera firmware. Appreciate if anyone can help.

    Thanks
    are you sure it takes 2-3 secs to write for large jpeg? for me, the only real slow down is when i shoot at burst >4 shots (when the buffer is up) or when the card is >60% full. I'm using a normal hagiwara (i think it's 30x) and shoot only in large jpeg.
    300D/5d2/40D/1d3/5D3
    17-40L F4, 28-70L F2.8, 24-105L F4, 50 F1.4, 70-200L F2.8

  9. #9

    Default

    I am using the normal Hagiwara 512MB CF card (check their Jap website, I think it approx. 10X speed) shooting firework in blub mode at ISO100 in large JPEG. If the file is 2.5MB it should take about 2 sec. to complete the writing, so I guess it should be normal. Just get furstrated that cannot click again until it has finish writing. Firework is very brief.....

  10. #10

    Default

    hey man.. unless u got too much $$$ to burn for the lexar WA cards... I would recommend sandisk ULTRA II 512 or 1 GB cards... those are fast enough and can download very quickly into my comp.

    u can also can consider transcend or kingston... both are fine as well!

  11. #11

    Default

    i am using the sandisk ultra 2 cf.....the speed is great....on my d70 the writing speed is negligable for large format jpeg and less than 1 sec for raw....

  12. #12
    Deregistered
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    Planet Nikon
    Posts
    21,905

    Default

    Just a quick question. After taking one shot you cannot take again? There's no storage buffer on the camera?

  13. #13

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by espn
    Just a quick question. After taking one shot you cannot take again? There's no storage buffer on the camera?
    i was thinking of this when i was going thru the thread too...

    300D has a buffer system which allows u to take mutilple shots consecutively.
    Try it.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •