Thread: I need to buy a tripod tomorrow!!! advice pls.

Default I need to buy a tripod tomorrow!!! advice pls.

Hi everybody! I need to buy a tripod tomorrow (urgent). I read the thread about tripods (the poll), and it looks like manfrotto is way up there in terms of popularity. My budget is about $200 - $250 so I think I'll get one of those. I want the ball head instead of the pan head...and maybe a spirit level. It should be able to hold the F100 with 28-200mm lens. Where should I go for the best deal? Ta!

Hi.... just got my tripod from CP at pennisula... bought Manfrotto 190B (Black) for SGD125.
    However for ball head... not able to comment cos bought mine from my friend (velbon ballhead... with spirit level). However... think it is not sold in singapore....

Think you will need the 190, with maybe a Manfrotto or Giottos ballhead (I think it might be slightly over your budget, but I don't know the exact price). Maybe you might want to go earlier tomorrow and drop by Peninsular Plaza before the meet at Taco Bell....

ps I thought you had a tripod already??

Deregistered

I saw a Slik carbon fibre tripod the other day, cannot remember the model number. It's the same height as a Gitzo 1227 or Manfrotto 055. It cost AUD$400, so it might JUST be within your price range. In Singapore I would guess that it would retail for SGD$300 or so.

Thanks. I will check out PP tomorrow with all this in mind.

My tripod is too short and flimsy (freebie). Heard of fly-away hair? well, this is the fly-away tripod...

Quote Originally Posted by icecold
    Hi.... just got my tripod from CP at pennisula... bought Manfrotto 190B (Black) for SGD125.
    However for ball head... not able to comment cos bought mine from my friend (velbon ballhead... with spirit level). However... think it is not sold in singapore....
    woah.S$125 is cheap leh. I ask on just this Tuesday,they quoted me S$150.When did you get yours?
    mOi bLoG - "i bLoG, dO yOu?"

Quote Originally Posted by shortcake

My tripod is too short and flimsy (freebie). Heard of fly-away hair? well, this is the fly-away tripod...
    hey. shortcake.. i think my also getting filmsy, just bought 1month ago(silk 6600)
    i also thinkin of getting a better 1 ,, but no $$.. sad..

You could consider a 190 with a 486 ballhead. That should be within your budget.

Try Mscolour for slightly better prices.

Deregistered

If you are heading to KT/Chinatown area, go to Lucky Chinatown, a couple of streets away. 2nd floor there is a camera shop "Fotografix..." or something like that. Nice oldish chap there and good price for Manfrottos.

Arrow

Quote Originally Posted by Azure

If you are heading to KT/Chinatown area, go to Lucky Chinatown, a couple of streets away. 2nd floor there is a camera shop "Fotografix..." or something like that. Nice oldish chap there and good price for Manfrottos.
    Which is Lucky Chinatown? Is it the blue building? It's just 2 MRT stops from my working place. Sure like to go check the price of the Manfrottos. I am thinking of getting a black 190. So far TK quoted me $150 for it, $80 for the ballhead and $30 for the original Manfrotto carrying case. Anyone else got suggestions. Would like to get one today too.

Ya fly-away hair like from the Dove ad right..

Quote Originally Posted by acidbyte
    woah.S$125 is cheap leh. I ask on just this Tuesday,they quoted me S$150.When did you get yours?
    me got mine at CP [pennisula plaza] on last tuesday!!!
    that is the price quoted to me by the sales person. however... do note that this is not the pro version!!!

Question

Quote Originally Posted by icecold
    me got mine at CP [pennisula plaza] on last tuesday!!!
    that is the price quoted to me by the sales person. however... do note that this is not the pro version!!!
    May i know what is the difference ?

Pro version allows you to mount the central column horizontally.

You may want to consider the carbon type tripod if you are using often. The weight of tripod and the ball head can wear us down sometimes. It is more expensive, but worth considering....

I ended up buying a carbon tripod and have two-three others staying at home..

what does a decent cf tripod cost?? 600$ range?

I think one of the criterias when choosing your tripod is your height. I was undecided between Manfrotto 190pro or 055pro back then. As i am 1.82m tall, i eventually go for 055pro as it suits my height better. I dun have to bend down too much and hurt my back. A tripod is something you dun change too often. Hence, it is important to choose one that does not cause you back pain in the long run.

The Manfrotto Carbon fibre tripod (Carbon one) cost $600-$700. The Velbon Carbon fibre tripod is cheaper by approx. $100-$150.