Thread: Yellow

Default Yellow

1. In which area is critique or feedback to be given?
    Composition, Color, PP

2. What were you hoping to achieve with this image?
    Taken this picture to enhance the beauty of the flower

3. Under what circumstance was the picture taken? (physical conditions/emotions)
    Shoot around 10AM at in Sentosa, handheld.

55mm, 1/2500, f/3.5, ISO 100

4. Thread-starter's personal thoughts about the image?
    I think the picture composition is OK. I want to learn how to make this kind of picture better. Comments please.

Thanks in Advance.

20110211_Flower_0001 by BKKOO, on Flickr
    Nikon d3100, NIKKOR ( 10-24mm, 17-55mm, 50mm f/1.4G, 70-200mm f/2.8 VR ii)

Default Re: Yellow

Hi,

I like the colour enhancement you've done. Just would like to point out that in your attempt at desaturating the rest of the image, you've caused some areas of obvious smudges / patches, especially on the right upper 1/3. In addition, the desaturation has resulted in loss of too much detail in the background i think. Did you also use the blur tool around and above the flower? The picture would have been even nicer if more detail had been retained, IMHO. Maybe if you post the original then we can see the effects of your PP more clearly. Having said all that, the flower is really beautiful and you've managed to capture it in its glory! So good job... Keep shooting and have fun while you're at it. Cheers!
    Last edited by Neurospark; 14th March 2011 at 10:27 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Neurospark View Post
    Hi,

I like the colour enhancement you've done. Just would like to point out that in your attempt at desaturating the rest of the image, you've caused some areas of obvious smudges / patches, especially on the right upper 1/3. In addition, the desaturation has resulted in loss of too much detail in the background i think. Did you also use the blur tool around and above the flower? The picture would have been even nicer if more detail had been retained, IMHO. Maybe if you post the original then we can see the effects of your PP more clearly. Having said all that, the flower is really beautiful and you've managed to capture it in its glory! So good job... Keep shooting and have fun while you're at it. Cheers!
    Hi, thanks for leaving your comments...

- No, i did not blur the background.
    - I was shooting with only a f/3.5 hoping to isolate the flower, I decided to isolate the picture even more during PP, that is why you see the blur patches... <--- Maybe I should have just taken a f/8 and then done a same de-saturating.
    - below is the picture of the original. Do comment how to make the picture better..

Thanks in advance

20110211_Flower_0001-3 by BKKOO, on Flickr
    Nikon d3100, NIKKOR ( 10-24mm, 17-55mm, 50mm f/1.4G, 70-200mm f/2.8 VR ii)

Personally the processed version looks slightly better imo, but compositionally wise it could be cropped draw more attention to the flower.
    I'd also prefer the flower to be sharper.
    ^^ cheers.

You could have done a better job with the PP - I still see some green along the edges of the petals. Good shot anyway, but as they point out, composition can be improved.
    Canon EOS 450D | EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS | EF 50mm f/1.8 II | Tamron SP AF17-50mm f/2.8 XR Di II

Adding a vignette will help, and some dodging and burning.