Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Are you a photographer or a lens-changer?

Default Re: Are you a photographer or a lens-changer?

I wonder if we should coin a new term for photographers who know what they are doing...
    You wont see me much less remember me but i am the guy who makes you look good.

i think there is nothing wrong to change lens to suit the situation at hand... a good photographer does change lens when the situation calls for it...

I think it's not about whether changing lens is good or not. The brother is trying to ask her sister whether she knows enough knowledge to be a proficient photographer or she just wants to bring out lots of gear and end up not knowing what to do.

Those experienced will be "photographers" because they will be taking nice photos.

Those who just BBB for sake of BBB and not learn the skills will end up changing lens all the time in a "lost" manner and missed out the chances to shoot.

Me? I won't say I am experienced enough to be called "photographer" but I guess I am not a lenses-changer.

Quote Originally Posted by gundamseed84 View Post
    I think it's not about whether changing lens is good or not. The brother is trying to ask her sister whether she knows enough knowledge to be a proficient photographer or she just wants to bring out lots of gear and end up not knowing what to do.

Those experienced will be "photographers" because they will be taking nice photos.

Those who just BBB for sake of BBB and not learn the skills will end up changing lens all the time in a "lost" manner and missed out the chances to shoot.

Me? I won't say I am experienced enough to be called "photographer" but I guess I am not a lenses-changer.
    This is quite a good explanation i would say, very similar to catchlights's.

in one of my friends wedding, the professional photo who is in the line for 7 years used only canon 17-40. another guy who is a friend doing it for free and exposure changed plenty of lenses here and there, but he didnt give a copy of his work because its too badly done...
    Last edited by Alan Chan; 15th March 2011 at 11:12 AM.
    Nikon D700| 70-200mm f/2.8G VR2| 28-70mm f/2.8D| 85mm f/1.8G| 50mm f/1.8G| SB900/SB28| MB-D10

I am a RIGHT-INDEX-FINGER-PUSH-SHUTTER-RELEASE-BUTTON-er

Quote Originally Posted by yu jianzhi View Post
    I do Events Style Photography With Flash most of the time with 18-105 and i always had a Backup 55-200 which i got it years ago
    Curious... wouldn't a single 18-200VR(IS) lens ofter similar IQ and range with less haste?

I shoot street photography using my 24-105 on the 5D mark II. However, occasionally i bring out a 300 f/4 in case i wanna frame something tight, like a building, and bring along my lensbaby composer for creative moments.

I change the lens when the situation calls for it.

i think i am a lenses carrier... i always carry so many lenses... and they are heavy.. my tripod is also heavy... everything is heavy... except my wallet...

I bring all my usable lenses out n I change according to needs. Like a wide lens for landscrape might lack of details, i switch to a 50mm and stitch them after that. Cause I still "collecting" lens, the "best" tele which I got, is from the 100mm macro. For the 28-75mm, I use till that I couldn't fit in an object, I then swap to my wide.

Anyway, sometime depends on your outing too. If you going for protrait, you wouldn't need a wide lens, right? But if you really walk about, better bring more, can train up and also, capture what you wants.
    Only Sony device mostly, haha!

my superzoom camera has a fixed lens, so i guess that leave me out of this discussion completely.

Deleted
    Last edited by bonrya; 15th March 2011 at 04:53 PM.
    My Flickr
    ~Neko baka

Deleted
    My Flickr
    ~Neko baka

Aiyo. Deleted
    My Flickr
    ~Neko baka

This is exactly why the manufacturers should come out with a 8-300mm f1.2 ef is macro lens asap.
    My Flickr
    ~Neko baka

i wouldn't be bothered if i were you.

Quote Originally Posted by bonrya View Post
    This is exactly why the manufacturers should come out with a 8-300mm f1.2 ef is macro lens asap.
    How big will the lens be? And then it would be useless to bring it around.

OT: The better question is, "are you a photographer or a lens collector"? lolz

Back on topic. Most photographers change lenses when they shoot specially outdoors depending on the situation, those that don't change lenses either have a 2nd or 3rd camera with them each with a different lens attached and switch amongst his gear , or they don't have any other lens with them.

if a photographer change lens because of need, there's nothing wrong... a more controvertial qns would be... are you a portraitist or xmm shooter? hahaha...
    Playing with M43.

Quote Originally Posted by Akatsuki View Post
    if a photographer change lens because of need, there's nothing wrong... a more controvertial qns would be... are you a portraitist or xmm shooter? hahaha...
    and the next controversial question would be "are you a nose-bleeding 'critic' or an objective one?"

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast