Thread: Leica M in Hong Kong

Default Leica M in Hong Kong

Hi everyone,

Sorry if I am not posting in the right section, but could not work out if this should go in travel or RF forum. Anyways, I really want to buy a Leica M, and asked some advice few weeks ago on the forum as I was planing to go to Japan on the 17th of March. Unfortunately, because of the tragic and sad incidents, we probably will have to reroute our trip to Hong Kong. We only have few days from now to get ready for the trip, we will be there for 7 days, and I am wondering if you guys have any advice to what to see/do in HK, I guess it will be much different from Japan, but I am sure it will be lovely.

And, much important question, where to buy a second hand Leica (probably M6) in HK, any links/address will be very helpful, I've read that there is some "bad" shops around so will try to avoid those!

Thank you, and good luck to everyone in Japan at the moment,
    Cheers,
    Mat.

Default Re: Leica M in Hong Kong

Not sure if it is cheaper than Singapore, but you can try Tin Cheung Classic at Mirador Mansion, take exit M2 of East TST MTR station, it is right next to it. Saw a lot of pre-loved Ms there........

Went there last Dec to look see look see, but didn't get anything because I made sure there wasn't enough money or any credit cards in my pocket and I think about the look on my wife's face if she sees me bringing back something without prior approval......

Hi there,

Well, maybe it would be easier to re-route your trip to the south of Japan which is less affected (and there are still some site to visit) so you don't loose your ticket?

I got a relatively bad experience at the Tin Cheung, I looked at the price on the website (was expecting to buy a leica M lense not the body) but in the shop it was another story: first the lense was not not available, then it was 3500 HKD more expensive than on their website and then I ask them why is it cheaper on the website and they said it was a special edition (but it was a plain black version of the lenses). Indeed it didn't give a good feeling and I eventually bought it in Singapore.

there is a champagne court street that sells alot of 2nd hand cameras etc...worth to go there take a look...singapore penisular equivalent..but pls do some homework on the mkt rates before going there
    My Blog

Quote Originally Posted by pikapig View Post
    there is a champagne court street that sells alot of 2nd hand cameras etc...worth to go there take a look...singapore penisular equivalent..but pls do some homework on the mkt rates before going there
    where is this champagne court street located in? mongkok, tst??

Champagne Court is on the corner of Kimberly Rd and Carnavon Rd........ I think TST MTR station is the closest. Correct me again if I am wrong....

Didn't noticed this thread until now.

Basically Tin Cheung is ok but not sure what happened to eqesg's experience. Their Tsim Sha Tsui branch (not the main store) has quite a bit of pre-owned equipment and you can try to take a look there. The other cluster of 2nd hand equipment shops which have Leica equipment are in the Champagne Court which is over at Champagne Court, 44 Kimberley Road, Tsim Sha Tsui, Kowloon 尖沙咀金巴利道 44 號香檳大廈商場

I have a little HK shopping guide HERE if you are interested. Tin Cheung Classic's address is over at post #12
    Last edited by CS TAN; 26th March 2011 at 08:38 AM.
    Canon 5D Mark II | 24-105L | 35L | 85L II | 135L | Samyang 14mm 2.8

Similar experience with Tin Cheung. Looked at their prices on their website and was keen to pick up a lens, but the shop staff quoted a higher price and the reason was that they had not updated their prices on their website. It's been quite some time since then but to date they are still displaying the "same old" prices.

Strangely, my experience with Tin Cheung at Mirador mansion, was opposite from what was mentioned.

I got my lens cheaper than the online price, and before i made the purchase, i check other shops, none could match their price.

Thanks for the reply and the info. I belive that I was just unlucky. In the meantime I bought it in Singapore.
    It just means that, as usual, when buying expensive stuff we should take care. as in the end it's just up the actual salesman that you will meet.

Quote Originally Posted by CS TAN View Post
    Didn't noticed this thread until now.

Basically Tin Cheung is ok but not sure what happened to eqesg's experience. Their Tsim Sha Tsui branch (not the main store) has quite a bit of pre-owned equipment and you can try to take a look there. The other cluster of 2nd hand equipment shops which have Leica equipment are in the Champagne Court which is over at Champagne Court, 44 Kimberley Road, Tsim Sha Tsui, Kowloon 尖沙咀金巴利道 44 號香檳大廈商場

I have a little HK shopping guide HERE if you are interested. Tin Cheung Classic's address is over at post #12

Thanks everyone for the info, I am now back from HK, with a very nice M6

Well, maybe it would be easier to re-route your trip to the south of Japan which is less affected (and there are still some site to visit) so you don't loose your ticket?
    We managed to change our flights and we got some money back as HK was closer than Japan from Singapore, I guess Singapore Airlines is doing a good job !

I got my M6 from Tin Cheung (their "classic" shop). Staff was very nice, let me play with the M6 for like one hour before I decided. I paid 18.000HK$ for both M6 + 50mm summicron (old version), it's not cheap but I really wanted one ! They had two M6, speed on the first one was slightly off (too slow), so I got the second one and I am very happy with it ! Here is a photo :

Quote Originally Posted by batmat View Post
    Thanks everyone for the info, I am now back from HK, with a very nice M6

We managed to change our flights and we got some money back as HK was closer than Japan from Singapore, I guess Singapore Airlines is doing a good job !

I got my M6 from Tin Cheung (their "classic" shop). Staff was very nice, let me play with the M6 for like one hour before I decided. I paid 18.000HK$ for both M6 + 50mm summicron (old version), it's not cheap but I really wanted one ! They had two M6, speed on the first one was slightly off (too slow), so I got the second one and I am very happy with it ! Here is a photo :

nice, change the strap! ahaha
    M10|M6 Millenium|50mm f1 e58|35 f1.4 FLE|35mm f2 V1 germany|15mm V f4.5 VIII|50mm Zeiss f2

change the strap!
    haha, why ?? Is it too obvious ?

Glad that you are happy with the purchase