Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 26

Thread: what's a good manual slr to get & where?

  1. #1

    Default what's a good manual slr to get & where?

    Hey guys, i need some help here. My SLR died on me just a few days ago. *sigh* just when i needed it most. It was a Praktica M105, and its really old. But i got it second hand like last year!The mirror is just jammed up and there's some problems with the spooling i think,cause the negative frames are sort of linked together and not spaced out with the typical line in between them.

    But anyways, i was then thinking of either repairing it or getting a new camera. However, i kinda like the manual SLRs, whereby the settings are like at your finger tips rather than the auto-focus,electronic kind, whereby you'll actually have to play around with the dials on top. So what would be a good manual slr to get? Am i the only dinosaur who's actually using a manual slr like that! :O Cause i realize that most of my friends have those digital ones!

    Also, roughly how much would i have to pay for it? I don't mind getting anything 2nd hand,but i am on a rather tight budget. Yeap, so any tips? Thanks!

  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    singapore
    Posts
    2,522

    Default

    Nono, quite a few of these dinosaurs here.. hehe

    try the camera workshop, friendly pple, mabbe they can help with ur praktica m105 or recommend u another.

  3. #3

    Default

    there are manual cameras lovers over here, i missed my manual camera too terriblely! will get once more when i have the BUYBUYBUY mode.

  4. #4

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by raine
    Also, roughly how much would i have to pay for it? I don't mind getting anything 2nd hand,but i am on a rather tight budget. Yeap, so any tips? Thanks!
    I have not been buying SLR for a while, but think it is a buyers market now that the digital craze is going on! There are many shops in the Peninsula area. Check them out. But do not discount the Minoltas. They are wonderful cameras that are undervalued. If you can find one of the old Olympus OM - they are light/small and fabulous.

    I would suggest Prime and Camera workshop because if the camera get into trouble, at least they can do some repair for you.

  5. #5

    Default

    nikon fm3a is still being sold. price around $900. saw 1 piece at ms the other day.

  6. #6
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    GEYLAND LOR 15 LO
    Posts
    1,159

    Default

    I would not suggest you to buy any Minolta, Canon or Olympus manual SLR not that they are lousy but it is becoz they don't produce manual cameras and lens any more. You might have problem to get the camera serviced or even to find lenses for it.
    Buy a 2nd hand Nikon FM2 as they are the only handful of manufactuer that still produce manual body and lenses.
    Or if you really like manual camera so much and got the cash to spare in the future, get yourself the utimate manual camera the Leica M-system!!!

  7. #7

    Default

    Thanks so much for the advice! I've actually seen the OM2 before and i've talked to the owner who owns it! I wish i could have it but XXX Boy is right! Because the lense is a 35mm,so its super small and they don't sell the mercury batteries anymore! But the camera is so small and compact and so sleek! Wasted man.. *sigh* Anyways, yeah, i guess i will be going down to camera workshop to talk to the nice people there about my woes.. They won't try to like rip me off or anything like that right?

    Eh i think if i get a leica, i won't have a house to stay in already man! :O

  8. #8

    Default What abt this?

    Not only manual but fully mechanical.
    Pentax KX
    User reviews

  9. #9
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Hong Kong
    Posts
    30

    Default

    Before trying to afford a Leica, this one may be another good try!


  10. #10
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Bedok
    Posts
    716

    Default

    I like the mechanical cameras too!
    Bought a new-old-stock Konica TC-X camera last month for $150. Only problem is there are no additional lens available for it now. So I bought it as a kinda fixed-lens-slr. LOL... I do have a friend with 3 Olympus OM-1's, Nikon FM and several Leica's Rangefinders and mechainal SLR's. Guess playing around with his camera's instilled the interest in mechanical camera's in me... =P

  11. #11
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    everton park
    Posts
    234

    Default

    can try camera hospital at sunshine plaza. the owner steven is friendly and helpful. i sold my old canon ae 1 there for ard 100+ last year. in tip top condition. maybe still there=). am really tempted to buy it back.

  12. #12

    Default

    WHOA! the pentax looks like a tank man! Just like my old camera!! And i've never heard of BESSA R2 before! Is it in the same range as a leica?? There's just this charm that a mechanical camera has huh.. *sigh* why did my baby have to die on me.. thanks so much for the info guys. i really appreciate the help. And if you do have any more recommendations, please feel free.

    dehuis- where exactly is sunshine plaza? sounds really familiar..

  13. #13
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    singapore
    Posts
    2,522

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by raine
    ...There's just this charm that a mechanical camera has huh..
    it's the different little knobs, the film advance lever, the mirror slap, the loud ka-chak shutter curtain and the whole solid metal body feel

  14. #14

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Firefox
    I like the mechanical cameras too!
    Bought a new-old-stock Konica TC-X camera last month for $150. Only problem is there are no additional lens available for it now. So I bought it as a kinda fixed-lens-slr. LOL... I do have a friend with 3 Olympus OM-1's, Nikon FM and several Leica's Rangefinders and mechainal SLR's. Guess playing around with his camera's instilled the interest in mechanical camera's in me... =P
    wah...i have a tc-x too. just sent to p&g for cleaning. should be getting it back next week. yeah can't find lenses. looking for a nice bright 50mm for it.

  15. #15
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    singapore
    Posts
    228

    Default

    :P i'm using ae1 as well. :lol:

    really got quite alot of "dinos" left. :P

    if budget is tight, do try looking for minolta x700mps as well.
    wonderful camera.

  16. #16

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by raine
    WHOA! the pentax looks like a tank man! Just like my old camera!! And i've never heard of BESSA R2 before! Is it in the same range as a leica?? There's just this charm that a mechanical camera has huh.. *sigh* why did my baby have to die on me.. thanks so much for the info guys. i really appreciate the help. And if you do have any more recommendations, please feel free.

    dehuis- where exactly is sunshine plaza? sounds really familiar..
    Yea. very well built. I got another Pentax MX send for CLA, it's smaller and the shutter is more refine but unlike the KX it's not casted from a whole piece of iron therefore lighter and the small size sits in hands better. But it's less well built then the KX. I also prefer the KX matching needle system. Like to make picture with MX and the built and handling of KX. So will use them alternately.
    Last edited by whoelse; 6th August 2004 at 10:11 AM.

  17. #17
    Moderator nightwolf75's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    really MORE diaper changes
    Posts
    17,839
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by dehuis
    can try camera hospital at sunshine plaza. the owner steven is friendly and helpful. i sold my old canon ae 1 there for ard 100+ last year. in tip top condition. maybe still there=). am really tempted to buy it back.
    how do i get there? i'm also looking for an old EOS body. hope they have good selection there...
    If Life worked on auto mode then manual mode for photography would have never existed. ― Deeksha Mittal

  18. #18

    Default

    Hello,

    For information on good manual equipment visit the below link. You can even get to know its features before you decide. All wonderful stuff. Personally I prefer Nikon just for lens compatibility and wide choice of lenses.

    http://www.mir.com.my/rb/photography...whatsystem.htm

    Once you decide you can search the buy sell forum here too.
    Good luck with your purchase
    SS

  19. #19
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Hong Kong
    Posts
    30

    Default

    Here is another good website!

    http://www.cameraquest.com/classics.htm

  20. #20
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Bedok
    Posts
    716

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by madmacs
    wah...i have a tc-x too. just sent to p&g for cleaning. should be getting it back next week. yeah can't find lenses. looking for a nice bright 50mm for it.
    I need to send my lens in for cleaning too. It's got a speck of fungus on it.
    Isn't the default f1.8/ 50mm bright enough?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •