Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Extension Tube OR Close-Up Lens???

Default Re: Extension Tube OR Close-Up Lens???

Quote Originally Posted by NikD90 View Post
    Oh! I never thought if vigeneting could be so bad. Also I am having problem with focusing?
    Hmm its all manual focus so there's no choice, even the focusing ring won't help, you have to move back and forth to get the focus. You can stop down in the 1 lens setup without causing any noticeable vignetting.

Will get the reverse macro ring for 50mm prime. Let's c. Thanks. BTW how did you get such nice light? Did you use flash?

Quote Originally Posted by NikD90 View Post
    Will get the reverse macro ring for 50mm prime. Let's c. Thanks. BTW how did you get such nice light? Did you use flash?
    Yup, flash is impt as you want to prevent camera shake but natural light is not impossible too. The light i have is not so nice as its a little harsh, i need to diffuse the light a little more.

Quote Originally Posted by Diavonex View Post
    These are the first few shots I took with the $25 +4 close-up lens
    Wow, these images are pretty awesome! The 2 lens setup photos look stunning as well. But I'm sure I can't go with the latter.

Thanks for the advice. I guess I'd probably go with the close-up lens in that case. But I'll still try all. ;-)

It's easy to stack close-up lens on top of each other. Picture below shows a +3 stacked over a +4.

These 2 shots were taken with a +3 stacked over a +4 close-up lens. Quality will be compromised.

I am not a macro person (as in shoot small bugs) but I do use automatic extension tube. Cost around $70 from ebay including shipping. The good thing about auto is that I can take closeup shots handheld without manual focusing.

No degrading of IQ but you do lose some light depending on how many long is your extension tube. If it is too long and significant light is loss then the camera might not be able to focus automatically.

It's good for food pictures as you usually won't need to close up to the size of a single grain of rice. You can play with a variety of lenses instead of only the ones that suits the close up lens' filter size.

Tried this using extension tube + 300mm prime
    http://a1.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphot..._1824767_n.jpg

35mm (the watch is almost touching the lens' front element)
    http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-..._2715831_n.jpg

50mm
    http://a2.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphot..._3691270_n.jpg

Extension tube comes in 3 pieces right? The pic above I used only 1 piece...so you can get even closer if you stack up the remaining 2 pieces.

These 2 shots were taken with a +3 stacked over a +4 close-up lens. Quality will be compromised.
    Great shots! You've used a SONY dslr, right? All dslrs would have almost the same focusing range on the basic 18-55mm lens I suppose?

Quote Originally Posted by gundamseed84 View Post
    I am not a macro person (as in shoot small bugs) but I do use automatic extension tube. Cost around $70 from ebay including shipping. The good thing about auto is that I can take closeup shots handheld without manual focusing.

No degrading of IQ but you do lose some light depending on how many long is your extension tube. If it is too long and significant light is loss then the camera might not be able to focus automatically.

It's good for food pictures as you usually won't need to close up to the size of a single grain of rice. You can play with a variety of lenses instead of only the ones that suits the close up lens' filter size.

Extension tube comes in 3 pieces right? The pic above I used only 1 piece...so you can get even closer if you stack up the remaining 2 pieces.
    Wow, great shots with the extension tube. The watch is awesome.
    Yeah, Extension tube sets come with three extension tubes. I don't mind going with extension tubes but will have to check with the price too.

Quote Originally Posted by newzealandhike View Post
    Great shots! You've used a SONY dslr, right? All dslrs would have almost the same focusing range on the basic 18-55mm lens I suppose?
    Close-up lens will work on all brands of DSLR.

Advantages:

1. Very affordable
    2. You don't have to remove lens
    3. The auto focus still works
    4. Very little light loss thru lens
    5. No vignetting problem

If you are unsure you can get the manual extension tube for $10 through ebay. That helps in deciding if you like it or not without damaging your wallet too much. If you love it then consider upgrading to auto focus. If not then go for close up lens.

Close-up lens will work on all brands of DSLR.

Advantages:

1. Very affordable
    2. You don't have to remove lens
    3. The auto focus still works
    4. Very little light loss thru lens
    5. No vignetting problem
    Thanks for the info. Anyway, I guess I've had enough details already, so all thats left to do is try them out. I'll be arriving Sg on the 20th. Thanks all!!!

Quote Originally Posted by newzealandhike View Post
    Thanks for the info. Anyway, I guess I've had enough details already, so all thats left to do is try them out. I'll be arriving Sg on the 20th. Thanks all!!!
    Enjoy your journey into the world of close-up and macro

Enjoy your journey into the world of close-up and macro
    Sure, thanks mate.

Regards from New Zealand

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12