Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: japan earthquake

Default Re: japan earthquake

Quote Originally Posted by edutilos- View Post
    There isn't a single war where the winners didn't do bad things to the losers. It's still hard to stomach the atrocities that the Japanese committed, especially since it hits closer to home, but I think if you examine history with a more critical eye, everyone's done it before - one way or another. That said, it doesn't mean they're less wrong - but well, sometimes the groups of people who comment on this aspect so happily need to take a firmer look at themselves.
    Well, it is insignificant compared to the people who put war criminals and worshipped as heroes in the Yakusuni Shrine.

Quote Originally Posted by Benign View Post
    Well, it is insignificant compared to the people who put war criminals and worshipped as heroes in the Yakusuni Shrine.
    So what about the numerous people behind the bombing of the 2 Japan cities?

Why don't you google "hiroshima survivor" and tell me how you feel about that decision? Are any of them punished?

This isn't really the thread to be diverting away from the main crux of the topic which is the current disaster at hand, please kindly start another thread if discussing the "morality" of warfare is anybody's intention.

Only if the boundaries between black and white and what is right or what is wrong are so obvious in reality...
    CS Aviation / Flickr
    Per aspera ad astra

Seem like the radiation leak is getting worse, it spread to the point that Tokyo's air is now mildly radioactive

The Japanese technicians in the nuclear plant struggling to control it, know they will die from the radiation. But they step up to the plate for the sake of the country. Russians have this quality too. Singaporeans....erm....better not say.
    Last edited by ricohflex; 15th March 2011 at 11:55 PM.

There are 6 nuclear reactors there.

If all fail and have core meltdown, the consequences will be dire and their lives will be changed forever. The entire area will be uninhabitable for decades to come.

They had just been hit badly by a severe earthquake and then followed by a huge tsunami. And now they are hit a third time by nuclear disaster. Three whammies at one go.

Their lives are destroyed now that their house, cars, family members, jobs and farm land are gone.

Sad for them. I wish them godspeed and a quick recovery in a different area soon.
    I admire their calmness and stoicism throughout these disasters !

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Rocky78 View Post
    There are 6 nuclear reactors there.

If all fail and have core meltdown, the consequences will be dire and their lives will be changed forever. The entire area will be uninhabitable for decades to come.

They had just been hit badly by a severe earthquake and then followed by a huge tsunami. And now they are hit a third time by nuclear disaster. Three whammies at one go.

Their lives are destroyed now that their house, cars, family members, jobs and farm land are gone.

Sad for them. I wish them godspeed and a quick recovery in a different area soon.
    I admire their calmness and stoicism throughout these disasters !

reactor 3 has fallen, reactor 4 is close to falling already.

i think the only choice they have is to decommision it already asap, through entombing i guess.

Quote Originally Posted by allenleonhart View Post
    reactor 3 has fallen, reactor 4 is close to falling already.

i think the only choice they have is to decommision it already asap, through entombing i guess.
    I thought they have essentially already "said" they are decommisioning it the moment they pump seawater inside.

Seawater is corrosive.

Exactly the same thoughts. I was discussing with my friends about where this seawater will go after going through the plant. How do we know there isn't any minor cracks at all in the pipe.
    D90, 18-105mm f/ 3.5-5.6G, Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D.

Quote Originally Posted by Ongoinglearner View Post
    Exactly the same thoughts. I was discussing with my friends about where this seawater will go after going through the plant. How do we know there isn't any minor cracks at all in the pipe.
    http://www.scientificamerican.com/ar...clear-seawater

Here's a very good read on how safe the technology actually is:

http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/f-...8/posts?page=1
    Alpha

Quote Originally Posted by Rashkae View Post

Viewership ratings will remain stagnant thus resulting in less advertising dollars if typical media organisation does not spread mass hysteria to the public through sensationalised headlines with regards to the accident.

CS Aviation / Flickr
    Per aspera ad astra

Quote Originally Posted by 9V-Orion Images View Post
    Viewership ratings will remain stagnant thus resulting in less advertising dollars if typical media organisation does not spread mass hysteria to the public through sensationalised headlines with regards to the accident.
    Some very balanced articles are still seen though:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/comment/t...problems.html#

To put matters into perspective, the level of radiation directly over the reactor was lower than the post-Chernobyl level of radiation over the UK, whose health impact was the equivalent of smoking half a cigarette a year.

Quote Originally Posted by Rashkae View Post

Its a good read for background, just have to ignore his claims that everything is safe and can be cleaned up.

Anyway, here's another article. I get the feeling we will be reading a lot of stuff like this.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worl...land-town.html

Quote Originally Posted by elgkh View Post
    Anyway, here's another article. I get the feeling we will be reading a lot of stuff like this.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worl...land-town.html
    I'm sorry but the world is currently fixated at a nuclear crisis which had so far resulted in 0 fatality.
    CS Aviation / Flickr
    Per aspera ad astra

Blog Entries

I'm sorry but the world is currently fixated at a nuclear crisis which had so far resulted in 0 fatality.
    due to really fast evac. compared to chernobyl.... they hushed it up, hence the damage.

Blog Entries

due to really fast evac. compared to chernobyl.... they hushed it up, hence the damage.

http://www.csmonitor.com/World/Globa...ey-differences

Blog Entries

ah. i was looking from this angle

http://www.time.com/time/daily/chern...3.coverup.html

there are radiation leaks, of a certain level from japan's reactors. whether is it dangerous or not, i am still uncertain. but as far as i remember, they evac everybody to a 30km radius quickly.

in contrast
    Another legislator, Yuri Shcherbak, notes that the decision to evacuate residents of the town of Chernobyl, which is just 14 km (9 miles) from the plant, was not made until May 2, six days after the accident. By April 30, he says, radiation in nearby Kiev (pop. 2.6 million) had risen to 100 times safe levels. The authorities knew that, according to Shcherbak, but ''the population was not warned.''

ah. i was looking from this angle

http://www.time.com/time/daily/chern...3.coverup.html

there are radiation leaks, of a certain level from japan's reactors. whether is it dangerous or not, i am still uncertain. but as far as i remember, they evac everybody to a 30km radius quickly.

in contrast
    the radiation levels are thought to still be contained by the structures themselves. what's the actual level, only those inside would know, and certainly TEPCO won't scare the world by releasing actual numbers.

the scary part of radiation poisoning is not instant death. it's always the aftermath in years to come

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast