Page 9 of 36 FirstFirst ... 47891011141934 ... LastLast

Thread: Bon Appétit

Default Re: Hawker food - BBQ Chicken Wings

Quote Originally Posted by blueskye168 View Post
    Ahhh.....bro can I eat your BBQ Chicken Wings now huh...?? (...arghhh ...I'm soooo hungry liao......Aiyo, why at this time the "Wings" must flown out leh huh .....*drooling*-badly-now )

Hahaha bro, join me for next food outing not only their chicken wings which personally I feel are better thn the highly rated East Coast Park and Changi Village stalls, their otahs are superb too.

Default Hawker food - Gado Gado

GADO - GADO

Gado-gado (in Indonesian or Betawi/local Jakarta, direct translation means ‘mix mix’), is a dish comprising salad (cooked & raw vegetables), tempe, beancurd, ketupat rice served with peanut sauce and crackers. It is originated from Indonesia is one of the most popular dish there.

There are many different versions of this dish; lotek, karedok and my super favorite, pecel (I love the sweet & spicy sauce and the major difference from gado-gado sauce is its addition of tamarind, coconut sugar & terasi/fermented shrimp paste). Unfortunately these dishes are not commonly available here. If anyone know where to have them locally, would really appreciate your sharing.

Unlike in Indonesia where they (most) still retain the grinding & pounding of the peanut sauce in front of customers, most are now prepared ahead of time and cooked in bulk (the sauce is also used for satays). This dish is taken from one of the popular ex Taman Serasi malay stall.

Thanks for viewing

Default Hawker food - Soto Ayam

SOTO AYAM

Soto ayam or chicken soup is a very popular Indonesian culinary icon with many different variations in different regions (Soto Medan, Soto Resah, Soto Banjar, Soto Kudus and the most famous Soto Ambengan from Surabaya). It is a yellow spicy chicken broth usually served with vermicelli or noodles, shredded fried chicken, cubed rice/ketupat, bean sprouts and perkedel/potato cake.

Thanks for viewing

Default Hawker food - Nasi Briyani

NASI BRIYANI

Nasi Briyani (Biryani) which is one of my favorite dish is a set of rice-based food made with spices (ginger, onions, nutmeg, bay leaves, coriander, mace, pepper, cloves, cinnamon, mint leaves, garlic and raisin are commonly used) and served with meat, fish, eggs or vegetables. The name is derived from the Persian word beryā which means “fried" or "roasted”, was originated in Iran and it was brought to South Asia by Iranian travelers and merchants. Locally, nasi biryani is usually cooked and sold by the Indians or Malays. Had this chicken briyani set from a popular prata house along Upp Thomson Road.

Thanks for viewing

Last edited by asthio88; 8th October 2011 at 02:30 PM.

Default Hawker food - Yong Tau Foo

YONG TOU FU

Yong tau foo (Yong tao foo or niang dou fu) is probably one of the most popular and widely available Hakka food.
    Originally it was a dish consists of bean curds cut in halves and filled/stuffed with minced meat, usually pork and fish and herbs (hence the name; yong/nyong in Hakka or ‘niang/酿’ which literally means stuffed), then fried until golden brown or braised.

Today however, it has developed to comprise a varied selection of food items including wantons, dumplings, bittergourds, cuttlefish, lettuce, ladies fingers, fish balls, fish cakes, crab sticks, chilis, and various forms of fresh produce/vegetables. Some of these items, such as egg plant, ladies finger, bittergourd and chili, are usually filled with fish paste.

The following series are taken from a very popular stall in Tg Pinang, Indonesia where all the items are handmade.
    The stuffed bittergourd is one of the best I have ever had and it justifies why it's called 'bitter'gourd.

Thanks for viewing and have a pleasant weekend

Default Re: Hawker food - Yong Tau Foo

Craving for some old skool Yong Tou Fu now lol

Default Re: Hawker food - Yong Tau Foo

Quote Originally Posted by asthio88 View Post
    Hehehe yeah... Unfortunately it's tough to have them locally
    Ya..not to mention old skool Yong Tau Foo, it's already hard to find a nice decent Yong Tau Foo nowadays... most of the Yong Tau Foo either food not fresh or too much MSG

Quote Originally Posted by asthio88

Agree on that... The one place that I frequent for yong tau foo is this coffee shop along Upper Thomson Road (right after Springleaf Rd), they sell the Ampang yong tau foo and are pretty good. The sauce is a lil different from the usual ampang style and I love the deep fried bean curd skins. Worth giving it a try
    The dry Yong Tau Fong huh? Ok will go try someday

Default Martabak Bangka

Martabak Bangka

Not to be confused with the Indian Martabak/Murtabak, this is similar to the local Min Chang Kueh/Min Jiang Kueh. Also called Martabak Manis or sweet martabak, it is a rich-flavoured pancake-like sweet dish which is very popular in Indonesia. Bangka is an island province near Sumatra, Indonesia and it gets the name because it was originally made and sold by the hakkas there which they referred to as 'hok-lo-pan'.

Usually sold by street vendors in the evening (I waited for an hour for the stall run by a Bangka hakka to be ready for business), martabak bangka is pan-cooked and is topped with a lot of margarine/dutch butter and chocolate sprinkles, coarsely ground peanuts, sugar, sweetened condensed milk and sesame seeds. The pancake was super soft but at the same time crispy, sweet, rich, and oily! This 25cm, 8 pieces martabak cost only Rp13,000 (bout S$1.80)! All I can say is it tasted heavenly and a must try food!!

Thanks for viewing
    Last edited by asthio88; 12th October 2011 at 06:36 PM.

Default Seafood ~ Black Pepper Crayfish

Black Pepper Crayfish

Thanks for viewing and have a great weekend

Yummy clayfish!!! SG clayfish very ex that why I mostly eat clayfish only when I go Malaysia hehee

Quote Originally Posted by asthio88

Not really lah bro, if you know where to go. Some zhi char stalls do sell crayfish at pretty ok price. What I don't like is more often thn not, all we get are shells

I had the above in Tg Pinang, iirc it cost us Rp85,000 or ard $12.
    Wah $12 damn worth it. Ya just like they selling those Tua Tao "big head" like that, she'll more than meat lol

Default Seafood ~ Asam Fish Head

Asam Fish Head

This is a spicy, sourish yet sweet dish of fish head and pineapple cooked in coconut, tamarind (asam jawa) and ginger buds (bunga kantan) soup.

Thanks for viewing

Default Seafood ~ Ikan Panggang

Ikan Panggang (Grilled Fish)

Thanks for viewing

Default Seafood ~ Sambal Petai Ikan Bilis

Sambal Petai Ikan Bilis

Petai or what is commonly known as bitter bean or stink bean is very popular for culinary use in South East Asia. Petai is also medically proven to be beneficial in preventing and overcoming a number of illnesses and conditions (including stroke, diabetes, high blood pressure, morning sickness, constipation and many more). It is not only high in fiber and iron, petai also contains sucrose, fructose and glucose.

Petai is nicknamed 'stink bean' because of its strong smell which lingers in the mouth and body. Due to its high amino acids content, it leaves a strong smell to one's urine after consumption and sometimes can last for days.

Ikan bilis or dried anchovies maybe tiny fish but it’s full of nutrients and is comparable to tuna and sardine. It has high iron content, omega-3 fatty acids (helpful in lowering cholesterol level and reduce the risk of heart diseases) and calcium.

Thanks for viewing

Default Javanese cuisine ~ Karedok

K a r e d o k

Karedok is part of a wide range of Indonesian dressing and salad combinations along with gado-gado, lotek and pecel. It is one of the most common and popular West Java, Sundanese dish. As mentioned in my earlier gado-gado post; karedok uses only raw vegetables (usually bean sprouts, cucumbers, cabbages, basil, long beans and limes) and is covered with peanut sauce. It is always served with krupuk/crackers, mostly either emping/melinjo or tapioca crackers.

Thanks for viewing and have a pleasant Sunday

Default Javanese cuisine ~ Ayam Penyet

Ayam Penyet

Ayam Penyet is one of my favorite food; it is a lightly smashed deep-fried chicken which is very popular in Indonesia, especially in East Java. It was initially sold in warung (food stalls) in the street but has become one of the main dish in recent years. It is usually served with fried tofu (bean curd), tempe (soyabean cakes), vegetables and most importantly ~ sambal (chilli sauce).

Thanks for viewing

Last edited by asthio88; 28th October 2011 at 05:17 PM.

Default Javanese cuisine ~ Ikan Lele Penyet

Ikan Lele Penyet

Apart from chicken, Ikan Lele or catfish is also commonly used for the penyet dish.

Thanks for viewing and have a nice weekend

Default Javanese cuisine ~ Tahu Tempe

Tahu Tempe (Beancurds Soyabean Cakes)

Thanks for viewing

Default Desserts/甜品

D e s s e r t s / 甜 品

Mango Sago Pomelo 杨枝甘露

Pumpkin cake/金瓜糕

Thanks for viewing
    C&C are welcome and appreciated

Page 9 of 36 FirstFirst ... 47891011141934 ... LastLast