Page 8 of 36 FirstFirst ... 3678910131833 ... LastLast

Thread: Bon Appétit

Default Re: M o o n c a k e

How can,Just had my dinner.Now going to bed and you made me hungry now.

Very very nice pics ! Happy Mid Autumn Festival to you !

Quote Originally Posted by blueskye168 View Post
    Woah...haha...bro, you got sooo many variety of Mooncakes hor...*drools....drools....*

Pretty well done and nice shots you've got...!!

Btw, this year I last min then got a bit of free-time to do some shots, thus just only some really plain and simple-shots to present... later evening...!!

Thanks, glad you like them. No choice bro, have family gathering every Mid-Autumn Festival and everybody has different likings. So gotta get different flavor and types of mooncakes to satisfy everyone

Nah, your shots are good. I have checked them up, wonder how your durian mooncake tasted. Mine was a big flop this year, the one that tasted the best was in fact the least expensive ones.

Quote Originally Posted by Janetleeyj View Post
    Weeeeeeee seriusly these mooncake picts super nice leh just like in commercial n posters. really make me drool.
    Oh yez, thank you fer the tips, now alot better.
    Thanks Janet for the kind words, I am flattered but nah, still working on it.
    You are most welcome, glad to be able to help. Keep trying

Quote Originally Posted by joe View Post
    How can,Just had my dinner.Now going to bed and you made me hungry now.
    Hi Joe, sorry!! Hehe.. thanks for liking them. Cheers....

Quote Originally Posted by metranquility View Post
    Very very nice pics ! Happy Mid Autumn Festival to you !
    Hi metranquility, thanks for the compliment
    Happy Mid-Autumn Festival to you too, hope you have had a great night.
    Please continue sharing your food photos, love the last few of yours from Barracks Cafe

The moon cake series are nice, the Chinese Poem make it even more standout.
    Too bad, of all of them, I only know the 水调歌头

No lah, really really nice, I like
    Somemore can write poem, your chinese so powderful hihihi

Quote Originally Posted by asthio88 View Post
    Thanks Janet for the kind words, I am flattered but nah, still working on it.
    You are most welcome, glad to be able to help. Keep trying

Quote Originally Posted by kutten View Post
    The moon cake series are nice, the Chinese Poem make it even more standout.
    Too bad, of all of them, I only know the 水调歌头

Hi kutten, thanks for dropping by Nah no worry, I don't know many poems either. Yup, 水调歌头 is one of my favorite too especially with its use in Teresa Teng (邓丽君)'s song 但愿人长久. Maybe also because it's written by Su Shi/Dongpo and I love Dong Po Rou (东坡肉) jk...
    Cheers....

Quote Originally Posted by Janetleeyj View Post
    No lah, really really nice, I like
    Somemore can write poem, your chinese so powderful hihihi
    Write? Noooo, my chinese is only passable.... those are copied and pasted from online collection
    Last edited by asthio88; 16th July 2012 at 11:19 PM.

Default M o o n c a k e

Last few of the mooncake series....

Thanks for viewing

Default Home-cooked ~ Sesame Oil Chicken

Sesame oil chicken (麻油鸡)

This is a popular Chinese dish, often served to new mothers, during the confinement month after birth. Chinese believe that sesame oil and ginger are heaty ingredients which is good to strengthen and nourish the body of new mothers and is helpful to speed up recovery.

Traditionally, the ingredient is quite simple with only chicken, ginger, sesame oil and soy sauce but I left out the ginger as my kids do not like its spiciness. I added onion, potatoes, carrots, mushrooms, oyster sauce and a spoonful of rice wine.

Thanks for viewing

Default Home-cooked ~ Sweet Potato Leaves

Sweet Potato Leaves in Sambal

Sweet potato leaves are relatively inexpensive and easy to get here. I remember the days when they were everywhere; in the backyards, longkang and we didn't have to pay for it. They are excellent sources of Vitamin A and Vitamin C. I usually stir-fry it with minced dried shrimp and sambal (spicy chilli paste).

Thanks for viewing

Default Hawker food - Ngo Hiang

Ngo Hiang/Wu Xiang

Sharing some of my favorite hawker food and let me begin with the one on top of my list. Ngo Hiang/Goh Hiong or Wu Xiang is a unique Hokkien (or Teochew) dish originated in eastern China. The name itself (in Hokkien) means five spices - referring to the five-spice powder that is mixed in with the filling of the original ingredients.

It is essentially a composition of various fried meats and vegetables and other ingredients, such as a sausage-esque roll consisting of minced pork and prawn (or fish) seasoned with five-spice powder, rolled inside a beancurd skin and deep-fried, lup cheong, cucumber, century egg, ginger, deep-fried egg, deep-fried beancurd, fishball and many others. It is usually served with chili sauce and a house-special sweet sauce. Many stalls in Singaporean food courts and hawker centers sell fried bee hoon with ngo hiang; this combination is common for breakfast and lunch. This dish is also popular in Malaysia and Indonesia but is a lil different from what we have in Singapore. I love the Indonesian style where they are served with hot sambal sauce, mixed with crushed anchovies or dried shrimps and lime.

We had this dish in a hawker centre in AMK which is popular for its fried hokkien noodles, were kinda shocked when the stall auntie billed us $15.50 for 7 items (bean curd, century egg, sausage, crispy prawn fritter, sotong you tiao, ngo hiang and spicy fish cake).

Thanks for viewing & have a pleasant weekend
    Last edited by asthio88; 17th September 2011 at 03:44 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by asthio88
    Ngo Hiang/Wu Xiang

Sharing some of my favorite hawker food and let me begin with the one on top of my list. Ngo Hiang/Goh Hiong or Wu Xiang is a unique Hokkien (or Teochew) dish originated in eastern China. The name itself (in Hokkien) means five spices - referring to the five-spice powder that is mixed in with the filling of the original ingredients.

It is essentially a composition of various fried meats and vegetables and other ingredients, such as a sausage-esque roll consisting of minced pork and prawn (or fish) seasoned with five-spice powder, rolled inside a beancurd skin and deep-fried, lup cheong, cucumber, century egg, ginger, deep-fried egg, deep-fried beancurd, fishball and many others. It is usually served with chili sauce and a house-special sweet sauce. Many stalls in Singaporean food courts and hawker centers sell fried bee hoon with ngo hiang; this combination is common for breakfast and lunch. This dish is also popular in Malaysia and Indonesia but is a lil different from what we have in Singapore. I love the Indonesian style where they are served with hot sambal sauce, mixed with crushed anchovies or dried shrimps and lime.

We had this dish in a hawker centre in AMK which is popular for its fried hokkien noodles, were kinda shocked when the stall auntie billed us $15.50 for 7 items (bean curd, century egg, sausage, crispy prawn fritter, sotong you tiao, ngo hiang and spicy fish cake).

Thanks for viewing & have a pleasant weekend
    1 of my fav hawker food!! Too bad lesser and lesser people selling this already...

Quote Originally Posted by asthio88

True.... At least for now, it can still be found in many hawker ctrs/coffee shops or eateries. But it's not easy to find 'delicious' ngo hiang. I miss the old Jackson Ctr's Lao Zhong Zhong, yes they are still in business in Tai Thong Cr but I just don't find it to be of the same taste no more (I could be wrong)
    The Jackson centre Lao Zhong Zhong moved to the kopitiam beside the Jackson centre right? Taste was not as good as before but still the better 1 in this field

Default Re: Bon Appétit

Quote Originally Posted by ntheni View Post
    The Jackson centre Lao Zhong Zhong moved to the kopitiam beside the Jackson centre right? Taste was not as good as before but still the better 1 in this field
    Yes, they moved to a nearby coffeeshop which ws named after them. I agree they are still better thn most. They are one of the few who hand-make all their items (except for the tofu & egg perhaps), not sure whether they still do though. Also have more varieties, some items can only be found there. I love their sauce too, it's not only spicy but have this unique taste because of the sour plum sauce & chopped onions. Thn again, my family don't eat there as often as we used to.

Default Re: Bon Appétit

Wow bro pics and colors of the Ngo Hiang...!!

Well,
    true enough this Ngo HiangWu Xiang is getting lesser and hardly seen/available nowadays as compared to previously......C'mon sell more leh, nice leh and I wanna eat leh......
    Anything that can take pictures...happy already lor...(..but...Hasselblad_H5D-50 as my Workhorse)

Default Hawker food

Lemon Chicken Rice

Chicken Noodles

White Carrot Cake

Thanks for viewing

Default Hawker food - Ipoh Hor Fun

IPOH HOR FUN

Fried Fish Ipoh Hor Fun

Shredded Chicken Ipoh Hor Fun

Fried Wanton & Yan Jiao (Dumpling)

Thanks for viewing & have a nice weekend

Default Hawker food - BBQ Chicken Wings

BBQ CHICKEN WINGS

The following few are from my family favorite food hunting ground in Serangoon Garden Market/Food Centre (not Chomp Chomp). There are many nice food there; kway chap (frm the famous Blanco Court), pig organs soup (Soon Huat), duck rice, the super size fish-cakes/balls noodles and especially those stalls moved from Taman Serasi FC (mostly malay food), of course not forgetting our must have BBQ Chicken Wings.

Thanks for viewing

Default Re: Hawker food - BBQ Chicken Wings

Ahhh.....bro can I eat your BBQ Chicken Wings now huh...?? (...arghhh...I'm soooo hungry liao......Aiyo, why at this time the "Wings" must flown out leh huh.....*drooling*-badly-now )
    Last edited by blueskye168; 27th September 2011 at 01:14 PM.
    Anything that can take pictures...happy already lor...(..but...Hasselblad_H5D-50 as my Workhorse)

Page 8 of 36 FirstFirst ... 3678910131833 ... LastLast