Page 7 of 36 FirstFirst ... 256789121732 ... LastLast

Thread: Bon Appétit

Default Re: Imperial Herbal - Aloe Vera Jelly & Stuffed Pear

You making me crave for desserts now

Default Malay Zhi Char - Ikan Bakar

Ikan Cencaru Bakar (Grilled Torpedo Scad Fish)

This is from a Malay restaurant in Upper East Coast Road which is famous for its grilled stingrays. We had planned for the stingray but unfortunately, it was not available. Ikan Cencaru or Torpedo scad (commonly mistaken as leather jacket fish) is a popular fish among Malays, usually marinated with spices and thn grilled (or burnt) with banana leaf. It's nice but gotta be careful as it's very bony.

Last edited by asthio88; 16th July 2012 at 11:11 PM.

Default Malay Zhi Char - Ikan Bakar

Thanks for viewing

Default Malay Zhi Char - Chap Chye

Chap Chye (Mixed Vegetables)

Thanks for viewing

Default Malay Zhi Char - Telur Dadar

Telur Dadar (Malay-styled Omelette)

Basically it's something like omelette but without the milk or cheese and instead onion, chili, vegetables, salt and pepper are added.

Thanks for viewing

Default Re: Malay Zhi Char - Telur Dadar

Oooh......why is my keyboard so wethuh......yah-lahhh, ah-ha...your eggs lahhh, bro...!!...and there goes my LCD too...!!!
    Anything that can take pictures...happy already lor...(..but...Hasselblad_H5D-50 as my Workhorse)

Quote Originally Posted by asthio88 View Post
    Hahaha blueskye I am glad it makes you drool but don't ask me for compensation for your lcd or keyboard Give it a try, the egg is good but the grilled fish is 'gooder'.
    Yah me too, in fact, I'd much preferred the spicystingray...and without it...it's like...and likely...hahaha!!!!!!

**Ooops.....almost forgot to remind you that I've managed to "retrieve & reload" part-of, those pics on page-1 of my Thread=>My-Figurines-and-Collectibles.....!! Pleasant view..., bro!! Cheers!!
    Last edited by blueskye168; 9th September 2011 at 04:02 PM.
    Anything that can take pictures...happy already lor...(..but...Hasselblad_H5D-50 as my Workhorse)

Yeah, stingrays absolutely!! Well I missed the old grilled stringrays stall in Alexandra Village who moved don't know to where. Pls share if you know any nice place selling it

Yup, I have checked your thread, really love those toys shots. Will take time to go through them again. Have a nice weekend bro
    Ahhh...ohh sure will share if I can findone...!!

Thanks and glad youthose toys shots too, bro!!
    Well, you too...have a nice weekend bro...
    Last edited by blueskye168; 11th September 2011 at 09:39 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by blueskye168 View Post
    Ahhh...ohh sure will share if I can findone...!!

Thanks and glad youthose toys shots too, bro!!
    Well, you too...have a nice weekend bro...

Thanks bro for the PM. Do remember to share those good food in your thread

Btw, are those toys your own collection?

Mid-autumn Festival tomorrow, wishing you & your family 月圆人团圆

Default M o o n c a k e

MID-AUTUMN FESTIVAL (中秋節)

The Mid-Autumn Festival (中秋節), also known as the Moon Festival or Lantern Festival is a popular harvest festival falls on the 15th day of the 8th lunar month, usually in September or October in Gregorian calendar.

The festival has a long history in China and is a traditional festivity for both the Han and minority nationalities. The custom of worshipping the moon (called xi yue in Chinese) can be traced back as far as the ancient Xia and Shang Dynasties (2000 B.C.-1066 B.C.). In the Zhou Dynasty(1066 B.C.-221 B.C.), people hold ceremonies to greet winter and worship the moon whenever the Mid-Autumn Festival sets in and in historical books of the Zhou Dynasty had had the word "Mid-Autumn".

It becomes very prevalent in the Tang Dynasty(618-907 A.D.) that people enjoy and worship the full moon. In the Southern Song Dynasty (1127-1279 A.D.), however, people send round moon cakes to their relatives as gifts in expression of their best wishes of family reunion. When it becomes dark, they look up at the full silver moon or go sightseeing on lakes to celebrate the festival.

Since the Ming (1368-1644 A.D. ) and Qing Dynasties (1644-1911A.D.), the custom of Mid-Autumn Festival celebration becomes unprecedented popular. Together with the celebration there appear some special customs in different parts of the country, such as burning incense, planting Mid-Autumn trees, lighting lanterns on towers and fire dragon dances. However, the custom of playing under the moon is not as popular as it used to be nowadays, but it is not less popular to enjoy the bright silver moon. Whenever the festival sets in, people will look up at the full silver moon, drinking wine to celebrate their happy life or thinking of their relatives and friends far from home, and extending all of their best wishes to them.

Folklore about the origin of the festival is strongly associated with the legend of Hou Yi and Chang’e, the moon Goddess of Immortality. As to the popularity of mooncakes, according to a widespread folk tale it was to commemorate the successful uprising in China against the Mongol rulers of the Yuan Dynasty in the 14th century (not historically supported though).

Noting that the Mongols did not eat mooncakes, Liu Bowen, advisor to the Chinese rebel leader Zhu Yuanzhang, came up with the idea of timing the rebellion to coincide with the Mid-Autumn Festival. He sought permission to distribute thousands of moon cakes to the Chinese residents in the city to bless the longevity of the Mongol emperor. Inside each cake, however, was inserted a piece of paper with the message: "Kill the Mongols on the 15th day of the 8th month". On the night of the Moon Festival, the rebels successfully attacked and overthrew the government. What followed was the establishment of the Ming Dynasty (1368–1644), under Zhu. Henceforth, the Mid-Autumn Festival was celebrated with moon cakes on a national level.

Default M o o n c a k e

明月几有?把酒青天。
    不知天上宫阙,今夕是何年。
    我欲乘风归去,又恐楼玉宇,高寒。
    起舞弄清影,何似在人
    ,低绮户,照无眠。
    有恨,何事别时圆
    人有悲离合,月有阴晴缺,
    此事古全。但愿人久,千里共娟。

中秋节快乐! 月圆人团圆
    Happy Mid-Autumn Festival

The mooncake photos very nice!!! Just like advisement posters

Quote Originally Posted by asthio88

Hi ntheni, thanks for the kind words. Was having fun with the shots
    You're welcome but I wondering how do you keep your kids hand off the mooncake while you're shooting hehehe

Default Re: Bon Appétit

Any particular reason you only shoot on landscape mode?

Quote Originally Posted by asthio88

Ah that... The only way to shoot peacefully is to wait till they have zzzzzz Another charm to keep them off any food is the..... smell of durian!! Funny that both my wife & I are hardcore durian lovers but our kids will stay as far away as possible even with tiny bit of smell like from the durian mooncake
    Hahaha that's durian trick is a good and funny way hahaa

Thanks bro for the PM. Do remember to share those good food in your thread

Btw, are those toys your own collection?

Mid-autumn Festival tomorrow, wishing you & your family 月圆人团圆
    Yes, 90% are mine......10% are others.....from....."somewhere-out-there"..... (as in wherever and whatever available out there.....hehehe...)

Well, Thanks bro Thio, and Yes, wishing you too and your family...中秋节快乐! 月圆人团圆!! Happy Mid-Autumn Festival...!!!
    Let's

Quote Originally Posted by glengoh View Post
    Any particular reason you only shoot on landscape mode?
    Hi glengoh, thanks for dropping by. Love the food photography in your flickr. Nah, no particular reason. I usually keep my gears simple for family outing and it's more comfortable shooting landscape mode without VG.

Quote Originally Posted by ntheni View Post
    Hahaha that's durian trick is a good and funny way hahaa
    Hehehe it is... Espec so for my younger boy, just tell him it's durian and he will stay away

Quote Originally Posted by blueskye168 View Post
    Yes, 90% are mine......10% are others.....from....."somewhere-out-there"..... (as in wherever and whatever available out there.....hehehe...)

Well, Thanks bro Thio, and Yes, wishing you too and your family...中秋节快乐! 月圆人团圆!! Happy Mid-Autumn Festival...!!!
    Let's
    Ah great collection bro.
    Thanks and have a great night, hopefully sky is clear and we can 赏月 tonight
    Last edited by asthio88; 16th July 2012 at 11:13 PM.

Default M o o n c a k e

听 月 诗
    听月楼头接太清,依楼听月最分明。
    摩天咿哑冰轮转,捣药叮咚玉杵鸣。
    乐奏广寒声细细,斧柯丹桂响叮叮。
    偶然一阵香风起,吹落嫦娥笑语声。

中秋节快乐!

Default Re: M o o n c a k e

Woah...haha...bro, you got sooo many variety of Mooncakes hor...*drools....drools....*

Pretty well done and nice shots you've got...!!

Btw, this year I last min then got a bit of free-time to do some shots, thus just only some really plain and simple-shots to present... later evening...!!

Default Re: M o o n c a k e

Weeeeeeee seriusly these mooncake picts super nice leh just like in commercial n posters. really make me drool.
    Oh yez, thank you fer the tips, now alot better.

Page 7 of 36 FirstFirst ... 256789121732 ... LastLast