Page 30 of 36 FirstFirst ... 52025282930313235 ... LastLast

Thread: Bon Appétit

Default Re: Taiwanese Food

Quote Originally Posted by ntheni View Post
    Don,t dream, just do it hahaha Take a break from life

HAHAHA no more "production" for me, my 2nd boy is on the way already Just want a place to relax and rot my days away!! Most importantly... No Shopping!!! hahaha

*Fully agreed bro Anthony,...'Take a break from life'...is just as important as..."break a life from no break".....see that...hahahaa!!!!!!

*Wah bro athio88, so fast/early you wanna "rot-your-days" liao-ahhh...ooh, c'mon bro better 'Rock-your-days' more for now while you 'can' ah-hahaa.....and "Rot-your-days" later lah, only when you're "Down-and-out" then,...HaHa-HaHaaa-lah-leh...!!!!!!!!!!
    Last edited by blueskye168; 11th July 2012 at 03:26 PM.
    Anything that can take pictures...happy already lor...(..but...Hasselblad_H5D-50 as my Workhorse)

Quote Originally Posted by blueskye168 View Post
    *Fully agreed bro Anthony,...'Take a break from life'...is just as important as..."break a life from no break".....see that...hahahaa!!!!!!

Wah bro athio88, so fast/early you wanna "rot-your-days" liao-ahhh...ooh, c'mon bro better 'Rock-your-days' more for now while you 'can' ah-hahaa:.....and "Rot-your-days" later lah, only when you're "Down-and-out" then,...HaHa-HaHaaa-lah-leh...!!!!!!!!!!
    Nah bro Eric... I am still too young to 'rot-my-days' but too old to 'rock' hahaha
    Heed Anthony's advice - don't dream, just do it!

Don,t dream, just do it hahaha Take a break from life

HAHAHA no more "production" for me, my 2nd boy is on the way already.. Just want a place to relax and rot my days away!! Most importantly... No Shopping!!! hahaha
    Oh big congrats!! Your first is 2 years old? No worry, take a break. Continue production later.. hahaha
    That 'no shopping' should never be brought up with your wifey when you are planning this trip but very true, no worry of shopping in Maldives

Quote Originally Posted by metranquility View Post
    love ur Shui Jian Bao series.. can literally eat off the screen ! Taiwan seems to be quite a culinary adventure !
    Thanks metranquility. Indeed, Taiwan is a great place for food, if you are not too particular. I have some (local) friends who thought Taiwanese cuisine, 'weird' and tastes funny

like the way you texturize shoot of that food... make me feel hungry...

Quote Originally Posted by asthio88 View Post

Oh big congrats!! Your first is 2 years old? No worry, take a break. Continue production later.. hahaha
    That 'no shopping' should never be brought up with your wifey when you are planning this trip but very true, no worry of shopping in Maldives
    Thanks bro, nope my first just turned 1 last month Was planning for him to turn 2 before trying for 2nd... might as well now haha
    I already told her the next trip I want to go to a place where I can relax and not getting tired because of shopping

The view is so beautiful oh i where got grow but yah, food there is vry irresistible. Hiehiehie

JIUFEN STREET FOOD

The splendid sea view from the back lane. This pic doesn't do justice to the actual view which was much nicer - it was drizzling but the sun was strong and shone through the distant heavy downpour.

Taro balls/Yu Yuan & Sweet beans Ice (芋圓甜豆冰)

Thanks for viewing & have a nice Sunday....

Quote Originally Posted by Janetleeyj View Post
    The view is so beautiful oh i where got grow but yah, food there is vry irresistible. Hiehiehie
    You can start planning your next trip now, make sure to include more sightseeing instead of shop, eat, shop, eat

Thanks bro, nope my first just turned 1 last month Was planning for him to turn 2 before trying for 2nd... might as well now haha
    I already told her the next trip I want to go to a place where I can relax and not getting tired because of shopping
    That's a great thing, produce all at once On a serious note, it's better that way. My 2 boys are too many years apart, huge communication problem.

Quote Originally Posted by jwi1980 View Post
    like the way you texturize shoot of that food... make me feel hungry...
    Hi jwi1980, thanks for the kind words... Glad my pics work for you

Default Taiwanese Food

TAIPEI NIGHT MARKET - RAOHE

Night markets in Taiwan are street markets that operate in urban or suburban areas at night, very much like the Pasar Malam in Singapore but most of them are permanent and operate daily. It is a unique Taiwan culture and has gained popularity in recent years.

Raohe Street Night Market is (one of) the very first night market in Taiwan, planned and developed by the local government to be a tourist attraction spot. It is conveniently located within minutes of walking to Songshan Train Station (松山車站) and in close proximity to the extremely popular Wufenpu - a place famous for clothes, shoes and accessories at wholesale price.

This night market is well known among tourists and popular among the locals and the place is always packed with shoppers. What’s unique here is probably the 2 big red entrance gates, marking the beginning and the end of Raohe Night Market. I don’t believe any other night markets in Taipei has similar monumental structure as such.

Once entering Raohe Night Market, you basically walk down a long row of stalls and eateries within the 600m street until you reach the end, make a U-turn and head back where you started. There are many great food here, mostly typical Taiwanese snacks from oyster omelettes, fried chicken, stinky tofu, shaved ice, roasted corn, herbal soups, local cookies, bbq food as well as some more unusual food like the immensely popular Pepper Meat Bun (胡椒饼) and Wheel Pancake (車輪餅). Apart from food, there are many shops selling all sorts of stuff at bargain price from as low as TWD10 (S$0.45). I highly recommend this charming and vibrant night market to anyone visiting Taipei.

Char-grilled Stinky Tofu (碳烤臭豆腐)

The stinkiness from this stall (located right outside the night market) was overwhelming and could be smelt from 5-6 shops away. It was too stinky to miss and I am glad we didn’t. It was one of the best stinky tofu I had this trip - smelt like garbage but tasted heavenly.

Thanks for viewing....

Last edited by asthio88; 13th July 2012 at 12:14 PM.

Default Taiwanese Food

QQ Crystal Cold Balls (QQ涼圓)

This is another famous snack usually served icy cold; pretty similar to mochi ball but it has crystal clear skin and is a lot less sticky. The skin is made from sweet potato flour and cornstarch and filled with red bean paste, green bean paste, taro and green tea. Although it is not difficult to make but according to the vendor, experience and skills are needed to produce tasty, chewy QQ balls.

We were not disappointed, these cute looking ‘balls’ were very refreshing and delicious - chewy and sweet. The brown ones are filled with red bean paste and yellow ones with green bean paste, they are definitely worth trying.

Thanks for viewing....

This is another famous snack usually served icy cold; pretty similar to mochi ball but it has crystal clear skin and is a lot less sticky. The skin is made from sweet potato flour and cornstarch and filled with red bean paste, green bean paste, taro and green tea. Although it is not difficult to make but according to the vendor, experience and skills are needed to produce tasty, chewy QQ balls.

We were not disappointed, these cute looking ‘balls’ were very refreshing and delicious - chewy and sweet. The brown ones are filled with red bean paste and yellow ones with green bean paste, they are definitely worth trying.

Thanks for viewing....

This looks yummy!! Didn't get to see this when I was there last time

This looks yummy!! Didn't get to see this when I was there last time

Same here, I missed this too in my previous trips but read in a HK guide book as a 'must try' food (not from this stall though), it was yummy but really sweet

Default Taiwanese Food

Fried Chicken Chop (炸雞排)

Mention ‘ji pai’ (雞排) or fried chicken chop in Taipei and the one name that come to mind is probably no other than Hao Da Da Ji Pai (豪大大雞排) of Shilin Night Market - the famous stall well-known for its uncut, supersize piece of fillet. Also known as Hot-Star Large Fried Chicken, it has made its way to Hong Kong and Singapore.

This stall in Raohe, simply called ‘ Da Ji Pai’ (大雞排) or Large Fried Chicken (I initially thought the name was '小師傅' or young master), looked pretty promising and the queue was long too. When we saw the size of the chicken chops we went WOW, they were huge! Probably as big as (if not bigger than) those of the above-mentioned stall, at least 25-30cm and they serve the chicken chop CUT which we prefer. Although the reason why Hot-Star insist of selling theirs uncut is said to preserve the juiciness but it is kinda challenging to munch on a hot, oily and humongous piece of meat.

Having eaten the Shilin’s version, the chicken chop from this stall was not bad at all in comparison. The skin (crust) was very crispy and crunchy yet the meat remained perfectly tender and juicy. It was very flavorful, the five-spice powder (wu xiang fen/五香粉) and white pepper complemented well with the red pepper/chili powder dusted all over it. Selling at the same price as Hot-Star at TWD55 (S$2.50), it is definitely worth eating. Please be warned, a piece of this will probably leave you no room to stomach anymore food.

Thanks for viewing....

Like these 2 the best ! making me hungry !

Default Taiwanese Food

Mini Fried Dumping (一口煎饺)

Fried or steamed dumpling is a common snack available almost everywhere in Taiwan but this stall however, serves a ‘one-mouthful’ dumpling. Indeed, the mini size dumplings could easily be swallowed whole. The dumplings were juicy and flavorful; the skin was thin and not too doughy. What made this dumpling so delicious was their special spicy, sweet sourish sauce which was mixed with cut chili, sesame seeds and spring onions - tasted a lil like Sichuan Hot & Sour Dumplings (酸辣抄手) but a lot less oily. The friendly lady boss emphasized all her dumplings were freshly hand-made every afternoon before business and we were not disappointed, a very nice gesture from her too for charging us TWD20 instead of the usual TWD35.

Thanks for viewing....
    Last edited by asthio88; 17th July 2012 at 11:58 PM.

Default Taiwanese Food

Sweet Potato Balls (地瓜球)

They’re made of sweet potato, glutinous rice flour and sugar; shaped into balls and deep-fried until golden brown. Surprisingly, they were not as oily as I thought they would be and tasted pretty nice. I love the sweetness and juiciness of the sticky sweet potato on the inside but the crust on the outside was not crunchy enough and hard to chew. The small pack (of about 15 balls) cost TWD30 (S$1.30), if you are not fan of sweet food, you could probably give this a miss.

Thanks for viewing....

Quote Originally Posted by asthio88

Sweet Potato Balls (地瓜球)

Theyrre made of sweet potato, glutinous rice flour and sugar; shaped into balls and deep-fried until golden brown. Surprisingly, they were not as oily as I thought they would be and tasted pretty nice. I love the sweetness and juiciness of the sticky sweet potato on the inside but the crust on the outside was not crunchy enough and hard to chew. The small pack (of about 15 balls) cost TWD30 (S$1.30), if you are not fan of sweet food, you could probably give this a miss.

Thanks for viewing....
    This is the one that I heard that it's very nice but I can't find it!!!

Sweet Potato Balls (地瓜球)

They’re made of sweet potato, glutinous rice flour and sugar; shaped into balls and deep-fried until golden brown. Surprisingly, they were not as oily as I thought they would be and tasted pretty nice. I love the sweetness and juiciness of the sticky sweet potato on the inside but the crust on the outside was not crunchy enough and hard to chew. The small pack (of about 15 balls) cost TWD30 (S$1.30), if you are not fan of sweet food, you could probably give this a miss.

Thanks for viewing....

CIMOL!!

ahh all your posts always make me hungry....

Quote Originally Posted by metranquility View Post
    Like these 2 the best ! making me hungry !
    Thanks metranquility, glad they work for you

This is the one that I heard that it's very nice but I can't find it!!!
    Yeah, was highly-recommended this snack too. Apart from Raohe, saw this in Ximending area too.

Quote Originally Posted by oceanpriest View Post
    CIMOL!!

ahh all your posts always make me hungry....
    Aci digemol!! Mirip but this is made with sweet potato.
    Remind me of the good old days where Rp1000 could get me a big bag full!

Herbal Stewed Pork Ribs (藥燉排骨)

Though we are not soup lovers, the herbal stewed pork ribs soup from Chen Dong (陈董藥燉排骨) is listed as one of the ‘must-try’ food and off we went to satisfy our curiosity as to how good they really were. The never-ending queue in front of both the main shop and the stall occupying the biggest premises in the night market seemed to justify the rating. Apart from herbal stewed pork ribs soup (which we ordered), they sell stewed mutton soup and braised pork rice too.

We were served a bowl of soup with 4-5 big pieces of spare ribs, errr, bones. Yes, there was no meat left on the spare ribs (which seemed to have been scrapped away). The strong smell from the herbs was quite distinct but not exactly pleasant. The soup was SWEET, very sweet! Though it still tasted herbs but the sweetness seemed to come from rock sugar. It was very disappointing and we finished less than half the bowl. I will have bak kut teh or mutton soup anytime but hey, both shops were full of sweating customers, happily slurping away so there must be some good in these soups but just not our cup of tea.

The main shop:

Stall in the night market:

Thanks for viewing....

Last edited by asthio88; 20th July 2012 at 10:42 PM.

Huhuhu i would love to eat this oh, look vry yummy i think we got pass by this stall but never try the fried chicken in shelin we got eat, compare singapore one alot nicer. Oh yah, i oso miss cimol!

Thanks for viewing....

Default Taiwanese Food

Grilled chicken with Spring onions (蔥腿板燒)

蔥腿板燒 is one of the highly recommended must-eat food, it’s so popular in Taiwan it has made headlines and appeared in almost all the top TV variety shows. Similar to teppanyaki, it uses iron griddle to grill the food. The marinated chicken is grilled and then mixed with spring onions and sauce and served with pepper and sesame seeds.

This stall, 霸王別雞 (very nice name) in Raohe may not be as popular as ‘雞匠’ of Fu Jen Night Market but this delicacy seemed too good to miss. We ordered the original taste with wasabi and were served a box of burning hot, fragrant chicken. The marinated drumstick meat was very flavorful, juicy and tender and complemented perfectly with the spring onions; the wasabi was just nice, not too overpowering but the (teriyaki?) sauce however, was a tad too salty.

Thanks for viewing....

Page 30 of 36 FirstFirst ... 52025282930313235 ... LastLast