Page 29 of 36 FirstFirst ... 41924272829303134 ... LastLast

Thread: Bon Appétit

Default Re: Taiwanese Food

Quote Originally Posted by ntheni View Post
    yes yes I will hahaha but got too many places I want to go but too little time & money

Hahaha very true bro...
    More often thn not when you have the time, you don't have the money but when you have the money, you might not have the time (anymore)
    But worry not, 来日方长!

Default Taiwanese Food

JIUFEN STREET FOOD

The picturesque Bay of Two Colors or Yin Yang Hai (陰陽海) from nearby Jinguashi (金瓜石) area. The golden-brownish colour is formed from the iron and copper deposits and further away becomes ocean blue, creating a unique and fascinating view.

Smelly/stinky tofu (臭豆腐)

Smelly/stinky tofu (臭豆腐) has become a major snack in Taiwan in recent years and it’s highly impossible it would be missing in Jiufen. There are two types of smelly tofu; the BBQ version which is a tad smellier and the more common fried version. There are many shops selling this delicacy here, all claiming to be the ‘first shop in Jiufen (九份第一家)' but the super-friendly, part-time actor taxi uncle recommended this shop. Unlike the Singapore version (post #74) where the sauce is separated from the tofu, preserved vegetables (cabbage and carrots) and the chili sauce was mixed with the tofu here which made it less crunchy. Overall it was pretty good but not smelly enough.

Thanks for viewing....
    Last edited by asthio88; 3rd July 2012 at 12:44 PM.

Default Taiwanese Food

JIUFEN STREET FOOD

Red Yeast/Wine Meatball Dumpling (紅糟肉圓)

Rou-yuan/bak-yee (肉圓) or meatball dumpling is another highly-rated popular snack in Taiwan. Here in Jiufen, red yeast is added and gives the dumplings the nice-reddish color with extra sweetness. The meatballs were wrapped in glutinous rice skin and served along with a very thick, starchy gravy. The most famous shop here (as per the food guide) is Jiufen Jinzhi Red Meat Dumpling (九份金枝紅糟肉圓) but again, the taxi uncle (highly) recommended this alternative which we thought was better in presentation. I am not a fan of rou-yuan as I find the skin a lil too starchy but it’s worth trying.

Thanks for viewing....

Quote Originally Posted by asthio88
    JIUFEN STREET FOOD

Red Yeast/Wine Meatball Dumpling (紅糟肉圓)

Rou-yuan/bak-yee (肉圓) or meatball dumpling is another highly-rated popular snack in Taiwan. Here in Jiufen, red yeast is added and gives the dumplings the nice-reddish color with extra sweetness. The meatballs were wrapped in glutinous rice skin and served along with a very thick, starchy gravy. The most famous shop here (as per the food guide) is Jiufen Jinzhi Red Meat Dumpling (九份金枝紅糟肉圓) but again, the taxi uncle (highly) recommended this alternative which we thought was better in presentation. I am not a fan of rou-yuan as I find the skin a lil too starchy but itss worth trying.

Thanks for viewing....

Had this when I went Jiufen, not a fan too

Huhuhu the scenery is so so so vry nice wor, regret now we didn't go, rlly should have go. The ah Chung mian sian we got go but thw whole shop full of people, cant even see where is the q. In the end we didn't eat.

Quote Originally Posted by asthio88 View Post
    JIUFEN STREET FOOD

The picturesque Bay of Two Colors or Yin Yang Hai (陰陽海) from nearby Jinguashi (金瓜石) area. The golden-brownish colour is formed from the iron and copper deposits and further away becomes ocean blue, creating a unique and fascinating view.

Smelly/stinky tofu (臭豆腐)

Thanks for viewing....

Default Re: Bon Appétit

Quote Originally Posted by Janetleeyj View Post
    Huhuhu the scenery is so so so vry nice wor, regret now we didn't go, rlly should have go. The ah Chung mian sian we got go but thw whole shop full of people, cant even see where is the q. In the end we didn't eat.
    Indeed, the place was really captivating but hey, you can always go again.
    The queue maybe long but the serving was (very) fast, I guess shopping was your first priority in Ximending

Had this when I went Jiufen, not a fan too
    Same here, I ate the meatball but not the skin which was so gooey it was like eating glue
    My wifey loved it though

Default Taiwanese Food

JIUFEN STREET FOOD

Traditional hand-made Fish balls (傳统手工鱼丸)

One of the most commonly sold snacks in Jiufen is probably 'balls', all kinds and all sizes of balls - fish balls, meat balls, cuttlefish balls; from the usual ordinary small size to the big ones as big as a fist. The most famous shop, 九份傳统鱼丸 is located right at the beginning of the street and has a long queue anytime of the day. We ordered a variety/mix of balls (混合丸)- meat ball, cuttlefish ball and the normal fish ball. All were very good, tasty and bouncy. How do they fare compared to the local version here and here?

Thanks for viewing....

Last edited by asthio88; 9th July 2012 at 08:33 PM.

Same here, I ate the meatball but not the skin which was so gooey it was like eating glue
    My wifey loved it though
    ooh... i hate the gooey skin too

anyway, nice photos, thanks for sharing

Aiyah oni got 4 days there, of course shopping important still not much to shop oso but food super yumyum

Indeed, the place was really captivating but hey, you can always go again.
    The queue maybe long but the serving was (very) fast, I guess shopping was your first priority in Ximending

My wifey loved it though

JIUFEN STREET FOOD

The splendid sea view from the back lane. This pic doesn't do justice to the actual view which was much nicer - it was drizzling but the sun was strong and shone through the distant heavy downpour.

Taro balls/Yu Yuan & Sweet beans Ice (芋圓甜豆冰)

Yuyuan (芋圓) or taro balls is a popular dessert usually served with sweet bean or red bean soup. The most famous shop in Jiufen is non other than Grandma Lai's Yuyuan (賴阿婆芋圓), a very nice cavern-like eatery. We didn't have it there as we prefer ice to soup. We ordered from a nearby shop a plate of cold taro balls ice with sweetened red beans, black pearls and green beans. The taro balls were very chewy and flavorful and coupled with the melt-in-the mouth red beans, it was a perfect match (albeit a lil too sweet to my liking).

Thanks for viewing & have a nice Sunday....

JIUFEN STREET FOOD

Traditional hand-made Fish balls (傳统手工鱼丸)

One of the most commonly sold snacks in Jiufen is probably 'balls', all kinds and all sizes of balls - fish balls, meat balls, cuttlefish balls; from the usual ordinary small size to the big ones as big as a fist. The most famous shop, 九份傳统鱼丸 is located right at the beginning of the street and has a long queue anytime of the day. We ordered a variety/mix of balls (混合丸)- meat ball, cuttlefish ball and the normal fish ball. All were very good, tasty and bouncy.

Thanks for viewing....

I still like SG fishball
    Wonder why it kept raining at Jiufen, it was also raining when I was there last time

Quote Originally Posted by asthio88

Now that you mentioned it, my previous visit to Jiufen (which was in Oct month) was also a wet day
    I like both. The TW fishballs (those that I have tried) are different from the local traditional version, theirs are more chewy, bouncy and full of bite (more like local meatball). Have you tried Danshui fishball, espec from Ke Kou Restaurant (淡水可口魚丸)? Perhaps you will change your mind
    Nope have not try 淡水可口魚丸before. The 1 I had not bouncy... Maybe bad stall I guess
    Last edited by ntheni; 10th July 2012 at 09:07 AM.

Default Taiwanese Food

TAIPEI STREET FOOD

Shui Jian Bao (水煎包)/Pan-fried Steamed Buns

Similar to steamed buns but the pan-fried version have crispy, golden brown bottoms and are often served with black vinegar or mixed sauce (usually of chili, garlic, ginger paste, vinegar and sugar).

Lao Cai Shui Jian Bao (老蔡水煎包) is a popular stall conveniently located right outside Taipei (Railway & Metro) Main Station. Though not my first choice but their chives/leeks buns (韭菜水煎包) with vermicelli, egg, shrimp and chives fillings are super delectable. The cabbage (高麗菜水煎包) is not bad either; love the texture of the cabbage and mushrooms. At TWD12 (S$0.50) a piece, it’s pretty good and worth eating – not too greasy and the ingredients were fresh but still, I prefer those sold in 黃家班水煎包 or local Putien Restaurant (莆田).

My favorite leek bun (韭菜水煎包)

Cabbage bun (高麗菜水煎包)

Signature Meat bun (招牌鮮肉水煎包)

Thanks for viewing....

Last edited by asthio88; 10th July 2012 at 11:03 AM.

TAIPEI STREET FOOD

Shui Jian Bao (水煎包)/Pan-fried Steamed Buns

Similar to steamed buns but the pan-fried version have crispy, golden brown bottoms and are often served with black vinegar or mixed sauce (usually of chili, garlic, ginger paste, vinegar and sugar).

Lao Cai Pan Shui Jian Bao (老蔡水煎包) is a popular stall conveniently located right outside Taipei (Railway & Metro) Main Station. Though not my first choice but their chives/leeks buns (韭菜水煎包) with vermicelli, egg, shrimp and chives fillings are super delectable. The cabbage (高麗菜水煎包) is not bad either; love the texture of the cabbage and mushrooms. At TWD12 (S$0.50) a piece, it’s pretty good and worth eating – not too greasy and the ingredients were fresh but still, I prefer those sold in 黃家班水煎包 or local Putien Restaurant (莆田).

My favorite leek bun (韭菜水煎包)

Cabbage bun (高麗菜水煎包)

Signature Meat bun (招牌鮮肉水煎包)

Thanks for viewing....

Oh my fav...I miss 老蔡 lol

I forgot to dedicate that post to you Time to start planning your time again
    don't think I can find time to go this year. But always wanted to go relax at Maldives so may be planing a trip there first.

I forgot to dedicate that post to you Time to start planning your time again
    Pan-fried Steamed Bunsnice man...!!

don't think I can find time to go this year. But always wanted to go relax at Maldives so may be planing a trip there first.

.....woah so both of you all planning to go there...?

Well, me too, always see/admire pics of Maldives...such a wonderful place for relaxation...hmm...yeah yes, let's "dream-on".....I'm "dreaming"...hmmm..."dreaming of it now" imagine of the colors and clarity of the sea water...the surroundings...hear and feel the sea-breeze slapping onto my cheeks...uhhh-ahhh...and those marvelous foodilicious being served right 'into'=(...ooh how I wish man...)...my mouth man.....wah-hahaa...that's certainly kind of SHIOK-AHHH...HAHAHA!!!!!
    Last edited by blueskye168; 11th July 2012 at 11:25 AM.
    Anything that can take pictures...happy already lor...(..but...Hasselblad_H5D-50 as my Workhorse)

Quote Originally Posted by blueskye168 View Post
    Pan-fried Steamed Bunsnice man...!!

Well, me too, always see/admire pics of Maldives...such a wonderful place for relaxation...hmm...yeah yes, let's "dream-on".....I'm "dreaming"...hmmm..."dreaming of it now" imagine of the colors and clarity of the sea water...the surroundings...hear and feel the sea-breeze slapping onto my cheeks...uhhh-ahhh...and those marvelous foodilicious being served right 'into'=(...ooh how I wish man...)...my mouth man.....wah-hahaa...that's certainly kind of SHIOK-AHHH...HAHAHA!!!!!

Thanks bro Eric..
    Wow Maldives!!! It's a holiday heaven but are you guys sure you can relax there?
    Apart from the captivating and picturesque scenery, it is a great place for 'production' My eldest boy for one is made in Maldives jk jk
    I guess the place has changed quite a bit since then but it's definitely one of the 'must-visit place on earth', bro Eric explained it all why...

love ur Shui Jian Bao series.. can literally eat off the screen ! Taiwan seems to be quite a culinary adventure !

Quote Originally Posted by blueskye168 View Post

Well, me too, always see/admire pics of Maldives...such a wonderful place for relaxation...hmm...yeah yes, let's "dream-on".....I'm "dreaming"...hmmm..."dreaming of it now" imagine of the colors and clarity of the sea water...the surroundings...hear and feel the sea-breeze slapping onto my cheeks...uhhh-ahhh...and those marvelous foodilicious being served right 'into'=(...ooh how I wish man...)...my mouth man.....wah-hahaa...that's certainly kind of SHIOK-AHHH...HAHAHA!!!!
    Don,t dream, just do it hahaha Take a break from life

Thanks bro Eric..
    Wow Maldives!!! It's a holiday heaven but are you guys sure you can relax there?
    Apart from the captivating and picturesque scenery, it is a great place for 'production' My eldest boy for one is made in Maldives jk jk
    I guess the place has changed quite a bit since then but it's definitely one of the 'must-visit place on earth', bro Eric explained it all why...
    HAHAHA no more "production" for me, my 2nd boy is on the way already Just want a place to relax and rot my days away!! Most importantly... No Shopping!!! hahaha

Default Taiwanese Food

TAIPEI STREET FOOD

Small sausage in large sausage (大腸包小腸)

Da Chang Bao Xiao Chang (大腸包小腸) literally means "small intestine wrapped in large intestine", is a snack invented by a creative night market vendor who was said to love both sticky (glutinous) rice sausages and pork sausages but found it troublesome to eat them separately. He came up with the idea of blending the two in order to savor the delicious, chewy sticky rice together with the juicy pork sausage. The snack became a surprise hit throughout Taiwan and has become a specialty in night markets.

This snack takes its name from the wrapping of pork sausage in a (slightly bigger and fatter) sticky rice sausage, usually served chargrilled. The rice sausage is slit open and filled with chives, pickled bokchoi, garlic, cucumber, parsley, peanut paste, basil, wasabi, thick soy sauce and of course the smaller pork sausage.

I had this wonderful delicacy from a humble stall (operated by the indigenous people/原住民) in one of the back lanes in Ximending area. It was pretty good and fared well even if compared to those sold in Shilin or the highly rated Feng Chia night markets - the flavors were well balanced (I opted to include all the condiments and sauce), the wild boar sausage was very aromatic and has good texture, the sticky rice sausage was great too but a lil too ‘sizeable’.

Thanks for viewing....

Page 29 of 36 FirstFirst ... 41924272829303134 ... LastLast