Page 26 of 36 FirstFirst ... 1621242526272831 ... LastLast

Thread: Bon Appétit

Default East Coast Lagoon Food Village

East Coast Lagoon Food Village

The East Coast Lagoon Food Centre is a popular hawker centre among locals and tourists. It opened in 1977 and was upgraded in 2003. With its rustic kampong (village) style design and situated next to the beach, it is an ideal location to dine and enjoy the outdoor ambience.

There are many stalls serving great food and some with very long history. Popular dishes include youtiao taopok, oysters omelette, wanton/charsiew noodles, beef kway teow, malay satays, barbequed seafood, fishball noodles, laksa, rojak, prawn fritters, and hokkien mee just to name a few.

BBQ Chicken Wings

Ah Hwee BBQ Chicken Wings has been around for 30+ years and is one of the regular stalls we usually go to if we crave for chicken wings. They might not be the best in the trade but we like their chicken wings which are grilled over charcoal. Unlike most stalls where the wings are marinated in dark sauce resulting in some sort of burnt on the sides, their version is crispy on the outside and yet maintaining the tenderness and juiciness of the meat. The skins are nice dark red and tend to be sweeter but is complemented well with the lime & chilli. Compare this to my other favorite stall in Serangoon Garden FC.

Thanks for viewing....
    Last edited by asthio88; 25th May 2012 at 01:31 PM.

Default Re: East Coast Lagoon Food Village

Quote Originally Posted by asthio88 View Post

Thanks for viewing....
    oh no!!! One of my fav hawker centre is going to be attack by the tornado!!!
    My wanton mee!!! My Duck rice!! My Salted vegetable duck soup

Quote Originally Posted by ntheni View Post
    oh no!!! One of my fav hawker centre is going to be attack by the tornado!!!
    My wanton mee!!! My Duck rice!! My Salted vegetable duck soup

lol bro.. yeah I missed out Leng Heng kiam chye duck which is one of my super favorite food

BBQ Seafood

Beside Leng Heng BBQ Seafood, the other stall that I usually order from is this Lagoon Village B.B.Q. To be honest, the grilled stingray is rather ordinary but I love the sambal (chili) and their seafood fried rice.

Thanks for viewing & have a pleasant weekend....

Seafood Fried Rice

I love the flavor of the crispy onions which really brought out the freshness of the prawns and cuttlefish. The serving was generous and the sambal chili was simply

Thanks for viewing....

You made me want craving for East Coast Lagoon food

Default Re: Singapore Food Trail

No bad hair day, you know why? Caus uncle got no hair liao . Serious leh, mukane galak bgt maybe you regular loh tahts why frenly. I oso dont know where, the place vry dark but opposite got cold storage.

Oh I have totally different experience with the bak kut teh stall, they were very friendly. The uncle who served me even told me to go back to them if I need to have the soup refilled. Perhaps a bad hair day?

So which food court were you driven to?

Katong Laksa

Roxy Laksa

Laksa is a spicy noodle soup from the Peranakan culture and is very popular locally. There are two type of laksa based on its broth/gravy – curry laksa (coconut curry broth) and asam laksa (sour fish broth).

Katong laksa is a variant of laksa lemak from the Katong area, made famous by the two stalls which operated in East Coast Road and Roxy Theatre in the 50s-60s. Many claimed to be the original Katong Laksa but Marine Parade Laksa, located at the junction of East Coast Road and Ceylon Road was probably the first to come up with the style of Katong laksa that we know today - the vermicelli/beehoon was cut into smaller pieces and the entire dish could be eaten with a spoon alone, without fork or chopstick.

Roxy Laksa which operated across the road at Roxy Theatre followed closely 1 or 2 years later and subsequently moved to East Coast Lagoon in 1978 when Roxy Cinema was sold for further development. These 2 stalls were very popular back then and hence the term “Katong” Laksa because of the area they operated from.

I love all laksas – Betawi laksa, curry laksa, asam laksa, Penang laksa but Katong Laksa is my top favorite. It is available in many places and I can’t say which is the best but Roxy Laksa is definitely the better one out there (though not the one I like the most). The vermicelli is cooked just right, not too hard yet chewy and the laksa broth/gravy is fragrant and full of texture. What I love most is the use of the freshly chopped daun kesom or laksa leaves which many other stalls has ceased using.

Even though Mike (the owner and 3rd generation of the original operator) still uses fresh coconut milk but I guess it has been significantly reduced over the years for health consciousness (perhaps rising cost too), the same could be said for the chili paste and probably the pounded dried shrimp as well, it just doesn’t taste the same anymore. There has been lesser (no) queues nowadays and it will be a real pity if this stall fades into obscurity one day.

Thanks for viewing....

Top 73+1 Handmade Fishball Noodles

This stall has been around for 20+ years and is famous for its super-size hand-made fish balls. They are ridiculously huge (bigger than ping pong balls ), springy and best of all, no fishy smell. The noodles however, was a disappointment - overcooked & soggy.

Thanks for viewing....

the ping pong size fishball reminds me of bakso malang, ngacai deh gw

Quote Originally Posted by oceanpriest View Post
    the ping pong size fishball reminds me of bakso malang, ngacai deh gw

Hahaha I miss oskab too, the best I had was from Bakso President many many years ago Fishballs are good but I will go for bakwan anytime.
    Last edited by asthio88; 31st May 2012 at 01:11 PM.

Default Shui Jian Bao (水煎包)

Shui Jian Bao (水煎包) / Pan-fried Steamed Buns

One of my favorite Shui Jian Bao (水煎包) from Putien (莆田) in Vivo City.

Thanks for viewing....

Default Re: Shui Jian Bao (水煎包)

Shui Jian Bao (水煎包) / Pan-fried Steamed Buns

One of my favorite Shui Jian Bao (水煎包) from Putien (莆田) in Vivo City.

Thanks for viewing....

Reminded me of TW 水煎包

Default Lei Cha/擂茶 (Thunder Tea Rice)

Lei Cha Fun (Thunder Tea Rice)

Thunder Tea Rice or Lui Cha Fun (Lei Cha Fun) is a simple but iconic Hakka dish and has a very long history in China. Lui/lei cha which is now commonly translated as ‘thunder tea’ is not really accurate, 'lui' in hakka actually means ‘grind’ or 'pound' and refers to the motion of grinding the tea along with peanuts, basil, mint and sesame seed. There was no fix ingredient and it was originally served with whatever vegetables/ingredients available or they could find (usually tofu, green beans, picked radish and other vegetables). It is also inaccurate that Lei Cha Fun was only served on 7th of Lunar New Year or ‘Ren Ri/人日’. Lei Cha was almost a daily meal to the traditional Hakka but on Ren Ri (the day human beings were created based on Chinese Rites and Customs), 7 types of vegetables must be served.

Thunder Tea Rice has become a popular dish nowadays as it is deemed healthy by many. I had this dish in Republic FC in Vivo City, nothing special but it’s worth eating. I usually order the set meal that comes along with fried niang tofu and egg omelette.

Thanks for viewing & have a nice weekend....

Default Re: Lei Cha/擂茶 (Thunder Tea Rice)

Yum yum yum ooh i love thunder tea rice but i prefer mix the tea in rice, lyke soup. You know we going back hols next week?

Lei Cha Fun (Thunder Tea Rice)

Thunder Tea Rice or Lui Cha Fun (Lei Cha Fun) is a simple but iconic Hakka dish and has a very long history in China. Lui/lei cha which is now commonly translated as ‘thunder tea’ is not really accurate, 'lui' in hakka actually means ‘grind’ or 'pound' and refers to the motion of grinding the tea along with peanuts, basil, mint and sesame seed. There was no fix ingredient and it was originally served with whatever vegetables/ingredients available or they could find (usually tofu, green beans, picked radish and other vegetables). It is also inaccurate that Lei Cha Fun was only served on 7th of Lunar New Year or ‘Ren Ri/人日’. Lei Cha was almost a daily meal to the traditional Hakka but on Ren Ri (the day human beings were created based on Chinese Rites and Customs), 7 types of vegetables must be served.

Thunder Tea Rice has become a popular dish nowadays as it is deemed healthy by many. I had this dish in Republic FC in Vivo City, nothing special but it’s worth eating. I usually order the set meal that comes along with fried niang tofu and egg omelette.

Thanks for viewing & have a nice weekend....

Default Malay Food

Malay Food

Step into Bedok Food Centre or Bedok Corner and you’ll be charmed by its laid-back atmosphere spiked with the anticipation of good food. It has a particularly interesting cluster of Muslim stalls along with a few Chinese stalls plus snacks and desserts and has completed its upgrading recently from the original hut which was built in 1965. As the area used to be a Malay village, the new Bedok Food Centre was upgraded with a Malay kampong design theme. Apart from famous for its Malay food (some are unique and not commonly available in other places), Bedok Food Centre is also known for its super long queue Hokkien Prawn Noodles, Cuttlefish Eng Cai and dessert (cheng teng, ice-kacang, ice-jelly, and organic douhua/tofu pudding).

Tahu Telur

Tahu telur (tahu means tofu and telur means egg) is a popular Malay dish originated from Indonesia. Tofu/bean curds cubes are mixed with eggs, salt, pepper and cornstarch and then deep-fried in a mould. Hot oil is continuously poured into the mould till the egg is crispy and brown and then served with sweet dark/brown sugar sauce, garnish with cucumbers and carrots and sprinkle of ground peanuts. Though similar but do not confuse this delicacy with Tahu Goreng.

Tahu telur is available in many places but (one of) the best I have ever had is from this stall in Bedok Food Centre.

Though a deep-fried dish, the tofu & eggs here are not too oily and remain crispy even after a while. Unlike many other stalls where the tahu telur are pre-fried, the business is so good here usually it is only made when ordered.

Thanks for viewing....

Default Re: Lei Cha/擂茶 (Thunder Tea Rice)

Not sure, cc yah but maybe i come back first. You oso going soon? Jgn lupa oleh2ne om i love the tahu telur, look vry yummy oh, where this place?

Me too, it's nice mixing the tea & the rice together. Have you tried the popped rice?
    Yeah I know, for 10 days? Happy holidays

Default Re: Shui Jian Bao (水煎包)

Haha... so which shop is your favorite? I am definitely heading back to 黃家班水煎包 this coming trip
    So far think should be the "Lao Cai" near the train station

Default Malay Food

Lontong Berlauk

Lontong Berlauk means lontong (Malay compressed rice cakes usually wrapped in banana or coconut leaf) together with other dishes, which could be anything from chicken/beef/mutton rendang, prawns, squid, fish, curry or vegetables.

Thanks for viewing....

Default Malay Food

Mee Kuah Upeh

Mee Kuah Upeh or Soupy Noodles in Opeh Leaf here is really unique and I don’t find anything similar elsewhere. Although a Malay dish, it’s a specialty and the signature dish of an Indian stall called Mamu Kitchen. A big load of spicy-chili-tomato seafood gravy (taste very much like those in Chili Crabs) along with prawns, fish cakes, vegetables and noodles are nicely presented in a boat-shaped opeh leaf. You can opt for any type of noodles (beehoon or kway teow) but personally, I find yellow wheat noodles is the best. The serving is generous but at $8, it is not exactly a bargain. And beware, the stallholder is not the ‘friendly’ type but can be quite chatty when you get to know him. For those who crave for the rarely available kachang phool, you can try theirs which is a lil different from the usual and goes really well with the mutton soup.

Thanks for viewing....

Quote Originally Posted by asthio88
    Mee Kuah Upeh

Mee Kuah Upeh or Soupy Noodles in Opeh Leaf here is really unique and I dontt find anything similar elsewhere. Although a Malay dish, itss a specialty and the signature dish of an Indian stall called Mamu Kitchen. A big load of spicy-chili-tomato seafood gravy (taste very much like those in Chili Crabs) along with prawns, fish cakes, vegetables and noodles are nicely presented in a boat-shaped opeh leaf. You can opt for any type of noodles (beehoon or kway teow) but personally, I find yellow wheat noodles is the best. The serving is generous but at $8, it is not exactly a bargain. And beware, the stallholder is not the ffriendly type but can be quite chatty when you get to know him. For those who crave for the rarely available kachang phool, you can try theirs which is a lil different from the usual and goes really well with the mutton soup.

Thanks for viewing....
    This looks really really good!!!

Page 26 of 36 FirstFirst ... 1621242526272831 ... LastLast