Page 17 of 36 FirstFirst ... 71215161718192227 ... LastLast

Thread: Bon Appétit

Default Re: Mei Cai Kou Rou (梅菜扣肉)

Quote Originally Posted by asthio88 View Post
    Mei Cai Kou Rou (梅菜扣肉)

Mei Cai Kou Rou (梅菜扣肉) or steamed pork belly with preserved vegetables is a traditional Hakka dish and one of my mom’s best cookings. Unfortunately due to health consciousness and my mom’s age, we only gotta enjoy it on special occasions now.

Unlike the usual mei cai kou rou, my mom’s way of cooking is a lot more complicated. Two different preserved vegetables are used, the salty and the sweet. They are washed, dried and seasoned with sugar, rice wine and spices and pan-fried till fragrant.

The whole pork belly is marinated overnight and then grilled till slightly browned (the lean part is covered with aluminum foil after bout 50% cooked). It is then cut into thin slices before placing it on top of the preserved vegetables and covered with another layer. It is steamed over medium fire for hours, cool in the fridge and re-steam before serving. This mei cai kou rou melts in the mouth and yet retains the texture and the top layer remains chewy.

Thanks for viewing....

Nice!

Default Scallops Basket

Scallops Basket

Thanks for viewing....

Default Nasi Padang

Nasi Padang

Nasi Padang
    or Padang rice is the cuisine of the Padangnese or Minangkabau people of West Sumatra province where Padang is its capital city. It is one of the most popular food in Indonesia and it can be found in almost every city. The term Nasi Padang is often used to refer to the whole culinary traditions of Minangkabau people but it is seldom used in West Sumatra itself and mostly refer to it as Masakan Minang (Minang food) instead.

Padang food is famous for its rich taste of succulent coconut milk and spicy chili with notable Indian and Middle Eastern influences. Minangkabau people are known for their fondness of cattle meat products including offal. Almost the whole parts of a cattle, such as meat, ribs, tongue, tail, liver, tripe, brain, bone marrow, spleen, intestine, cartilage, tendon, and even skin, are made to be Minangkabau delicacies. Seafood is popular in coastal West Sumatran cities, and most are grilled or fried with spicy chilli sauce or in curry gravy. Various of fishes, shrimp, and cuttlefish in also cooked in similar fashion. Most of Minangkabau food is eaten with hot steamed rice or compressed rice such as katupek (ketupat). Vegetables are mostly boiled such as boiled cassava leaf (pucuk ubi), or simmered in thin curry as side dishes, such as gulai (some kind of curry) of young jackfruit or cabbages.

The cuisine is usually cooked once per day, and in restaurants customers choose from those dishes, which are left out on display in high stacked plates in the window of Padang restaurant. During a dine-in hidang (serve) style Padang restaurant, after the customer being seated, the customer did not have to order first. The waiter immediately serves the dishes directly to the table, and the table will quickly be set with dozens of small dishes filled with highly-flavored foods. Customers pay only for what they eat. (source: Wikipedia)

A little note about the Minangkabau people who are known as ‘the Chinese’ of the indigenous/pribumi Indonesians for their keen business acumen and ability to adapt. They are mostly well-educated and spread across Indonesia. Based on their relative small populations of about 2.7%, they are probably the most successful pribumis where 6 of the top 10 most influential Indonesians of the 20th century and three out of the four Indonesian founding fathers were Minang.

The following series are taken from a Padang restaurant in Tg Pinang. The food was fantastic especially the rendangs and sambal tempe but it wasn't cheap (espec for local standard), cost us (6pax) around Rp1.2m (almost S$170) but we DID eat a lot!!

Thanks for viewing & have a pleasant weekend!!!

Default Nasi Padang

Nasi Padang

Gulai Sotong (Squid Curry)

Jengkol Balado (Spicy Dogfruit/Jering)

Ikan Goreng (Fried Fish)

Rendang

Thanks for viewing....

Last edited by asthio88; 24th February 2012 at 10:25 AM.

Default Re: Nasi Padang

Omg, what a spread enak om! Drool drool the rndang and sotong is rlly

Nasi Padang
    [B]

Weks jahat! . I lyke the red chili sambal more, sambal lado too salty and not hot enough

Yes, tante... It was superb indeed, love the rendangs but the sotong was too 'rubbery'. Here, sambal lado just for you!!!

Default Re: Scallops Basket

Scallops Basket

Thanks for viewing....

ah...1 of my fav dish!!!

I prefer the baskets to the scallops especially those made from yam
    Oh ya I love these deep fried bee hoon since I was a kid and still loving it now haha

Default Re: Black Moss Abalone (发菜鲍鱼)

Quote Originally Posted by Janetleeyj\
    @wacky, vegetable as in lyke leafy green type, you know that dish always served with some vege at the bottom so i thought that is fa cai
    Not exactly vegetable but used as one in Chinese cuisine. Black moss is commonly referred to as blue-green algae but in actual fact, it is a type of bacteria
    lol.... to me.... anything that is not meat... i consider it as "vegetables"... keke.. :P

regards,
    wacky

Default Nasi Padang

Nasi Padang

Ayam Goreng (Fried Chicken)

Ayam Bakar (Spicy Grilled Chicken)

Sambal Ikan Bilih (Spicy Fried Anchovy)

Sambal Tempe

Thanks for viewing....

Default Nasi Padang

Nasi Padang

Ayam Pop

(this is a specialty, the Padang style chicken ~ boiled/steamed first and then deep-fried)

Udang Balado (Spicy Shrimp)

Telur Dadar (Omelette)

Pucuk Ubi (Cassava leaves)

Thanks for viewing....

Last edited by asthio88; 24th February 2012 at 10:25 AM.

Harlow, got the same meh? The red one hotter what. Eh maybe i mixed up with sambal terasi liao hiehie

What's the difference? I thought both the green & red sambals are salty and less spicy in the Nasi Padang version, no?

:

[COLOR="#006400"][I][CENTER]Nasi Padang

Pucuk Ubi (Cassava leaves)

[/B]

Thanks for viewing....
    ehh...How does this taste like? look like leaves only

BTW bro asthio think some of your nasi padang photo got purple fringing?
    Don't know got see wrong or not

Yup, just the leaves. Boiled and usually consumed with sambal, taste wise, a lil bitter sweet and very chewy.
    Oh dear, heavy fringing on the above pic. Some of the pics were processed in my laptop and didn't really notice the problem. Will correct them later, big thanks bro Anthony
    hmm... don't think I will like this dish
    No problem bro, "training" myself to take note of these small detail to improve myself

Quote Originally Posted by ntheni View Post
    hmm... don't think I will like this dish
    No problem bro, "training" myself to take note of these small detail to improve myself

Honestly, not many people I know fancy this dish but it's a very popular among the Indonesians (Malays & Thais too). It's inexpensive and very nutritious with high protein & calcium content.
    Yeah, keep training even if you are already 'there' Do feedback if you find any issue with my post

Yaloh vry vry long liao. I am alrdy home okie got foto of nangka bakar?

Lol... Perhaps it's been too long you had a taste of sambal lado, time to go home??

Quote Originally Posted by Janetleeyj View Post
    Yaloh vry vry long liao. I am alrdy home okie got foto of nangka bakar?

You mean biji nangka bakar? Nope, don't think it's available. How bout gulai nangka?

Nasi Padang

Last few of the Nasi Padang series....

Ikan Bakar (Grilled Fish)

Karupuak Janget (Cow's skin crackers)

Es Avocado (mixed of avocado & jack fruit with sweet thick milk plus chocolate)

Ever wonder where were the dishes cooked & kept before serving?

Gulai/Opor Nangka (Young Jackfruit Curry)

Daun Ubi Tumbuk (Cassava leaves in coconut milk)

Default Curry Chicken

Curry Chicken

This was taken in the cafe of Riverside Park. Kinda disappointed when served as it was totally different from the pic in the menu.
    Taste wise was still acceptable but not the kind I like and a lil too oily too.

Thanks for viewing....

Last edited by asthio88; 28th February 2012 at 01:40 AM.

Default Re: Curry Chicken

Curry Chicken

This was taken in the cafe of Riverside Park. Kinda disappointed when served as it was totally different from the pic in the menu.
    Taste wise was still acceptable but not the kind I like and a lil too oily too.

Thanks for viewing....

Yeah we can see the thick thick oil hahaa

Page 17 of 36 FirstFirst ... 71215161718192227 ... LastLast