Page 15 of 36 FirstFirst ... 51013141516172025 ... LastLast

Thread: Bon Appétit

Default Roasted suckling pig (烤乳猪)

Roasted Suckling Pig (烤乳猪)

Roasted suckling pig (烤乳猪) is probably the most famous siu-mei (烧味) dish in the Cantonese cuisine. It is recorded as one of the 8 treasures (ba zhen or 八珍) during the Western Zhou Dynasty some 3000 years ago (source: Baidu). It is made by roasting an entire suckling pig or piglet with seasoning in a charcoal furnace at high temperature. Roasted pigs of high quality have crisp skin and juicy, tender meat. It is usually served plain or with thick soy sauce.

The term 'roasted pig' (烧猪) usually refers to when the whole pig is served and when individual pieces are served, it is known as "roasted pork" or "roasted meat" (烧肉). This dish was taken in a HK restaurant popular for its siu-mei (roasted meat dishes).

Last edited by asthio88; 1st February 2012 at 05:21 PM.

Default Re: Bon Appétit

The arrangement of the food in the Chihuly Lounge series makes it look nice. Maybe you could consider having a darker coloured background for the East Coast series. Just a thought! haha =)
    Last edited by Tiffwg; 1st February 2012 at 09:32 PM.
    My photographs : http://s1249.photobucket.com/albums/hh507/Tiffwg/

Roasted Pig power !!! One of my Fav!!!

Quote Originally Posted by ntheni View Post
    Roasted Pig power !!! One of my Fav!!!
    My favorite too but we shd really cut down on the intake of this particular dish, really unhealthy Yup, it tasted heavenly

Quote Originally Posted by Tiffwg View Post
    The arrangement of the food in the Chihuly Lounge series makes it look nice. Maybe you could consider having a darker coloured background for the East Coast series. Just a thought! haha =)
    Hi Tiffwg, thanks for dropping by and your kind words/suggestion. The East Coast series was shot in an open restaurant and that's the best I could do, will look into ways to improve my shots

Quote Originally Posted by asthio88

My favorite too but we shd really cut down on the intake of this particular dish, really unhealthy Yup, it tasted heavenly
    Easy to say than done lol how can we resist all the good food around us hahaa
    What more the more unhealthy the food is the more tasty it is

Perhaps by witnessing how the dish is prepared, all the way from the 'raw materials'?
    I had this delightful babi guling in Ubud years back but after seeing how it was prepared, it was so disturbing and revolting and the image last till today
    Ahh... I like the babi guling too and still loving it. So better don't let me see how they prepare lol

Ahh... I like the babi guling too and still loving it. So better don't let me see how they prepare lol
    Yup, it is a great dish, much like the Chinese version of roasted pigs.
    I guess not all babi gulings are prepared the way I saw, which was the 'traditional' way so worry not

Default CNY cookies

CNY cookies

A few more days to go before Chinese New Year officially ends, cookie anyone?

Last edited by asthio88; 3rd February 2012 at 01:08 PM.

Default Re: CNY cookies

CNY cookies

Default Roasted Goose (烧鹅)

Roasted Goose (烧鹅)

This was taken from the same HK restaurant in post #338 and is probably one of the best roasted geese I have ever had. The meat was really tender and juicy and the skin was heavenly, it was not only crispy but kinda separated from the meat/fat. This was due to the additional step in the preparation of pumping air into the geese (under skin through the neck, similar to the way Beijing Ducks are prepared). Look at the skin, how does it fare against the earlier post of roasted goose?

Have a pleasant weekend ahead!!

Last edited by asthio88; 4th February 2012 at 02:31 PM.

Default Re: Roasted Goose (烧鹅)

Omg, just look at this foto make my stomach growl liao. So bad of you, next time put warning sign hor
    Must have taste vry delicious. And why I not served those cookies?

Quote Originally Posted by asthio88 View Post
    Roasted Goose (烧鹅)

Last edited by Janetleeyj; 4th February 2012 at 05:08 PM.

Roasted Goose (烧鹅)

This was taken from the same HK restaurant in post #338 and is probably one of the best roasted geese I have ever had. The meat was really tender and juicy and the skin was heavenly, it was not only crispy but kinda separated from the meat/fat. This was due to the additional step in the preparation of pumping air into the geese (under skin through the neck, similar to the way Beijing Ducks are prepared). Look at the skin, how does it fare against the earlier post of roasted goose?

Have a pleasant weekend ahead!!

Evil!!! You shall be banned from posting foods from oversea only local food allow

Evil!!! You shall be banned from posting foods from oversea only local food allow
    Hahaha.... You are equally evil, there are more & more nice food in your thread too

Quote Originally Posted by Janetleeyj View Post
    Omg, just look at this foto make my stomach growl liao. So bad of you, next time put warning sign hor
    Must have taste vry delicious. And why I not served those cookies?
    What kinda warning sign? View at your own risk? Yup, it was heavenly, the mere thought of it make me hungry
    Cookies? Aint it time for you to be on diet??

Harlow, i that bad meh
    Its new year you knoe, time for breakfasting. What diet, shuld be free flow okie

What kinda warning sign? View at your own risk? Yup, it was heavenly, the mere thought of it make me hungry
    Cookies? Aint it time for you to be on diet??

Default Pasta

Pasta

These few dishes were taken in a simple Italian Cafe in Hongkong. The food was fantastic but the service sucks big time.

Mixed Grill Spaghetti Set

Cheesy Pumpkin & Seafood Pasta

Sausage & Chicken Cutlet Spaghetti

Thanks for viewing....

Default Re: Pasta

wow i love the closed up shots of the pineapple tarts... pistachios and roasted goose... i sometimes like to take closed up shots of food too... but often i got a problem trying to take closed up photos of hot food cos the steam would be fogging up the view... how do u take such clear photos of the goose w/o the problem of steam and w/o waiting for the food to cool...??

regards,
    wacky

Hahaha HK used to be famous for bad customer service. Don't know now still the same

Hahaha HK used to be famous for bad customer service. Don't know now still the same

True, they were known for bad customer service but in my last few trips, I noticed the change (for the better) in the locals' attitude. Partially because of the government effort in 'educating' the locals of the importance of the service with a smile and from conversations with my HKer friends, they too realized of the problem especially so with the not so good HK economic performance of late.

Well, the bad experience in the cafe was mainly due to the 'foreign talents' waitresses from the north (mainland). Maybe they were new or simply 'bochup', but it was really terrible

Quote Originally Posted by wackykid View Post
    wow i love the closed up shots of the pineapple tarts... pistachios and roasted goose... i sometimes like to take closed up shots of food too... but often i got a problem trying to take closed up photos of hot food cos the steam would be fogging up the view... how do u take such clear photos of the goose w/o the problem of steam and w/o waiting for the food to cool...??

regards,
    wacky

Hi Wacky, thanks for dropping by and your kind comments.

Imho, a lil smoke (as long as it does not obstruct the main subject) does sometime add value to the photo like the Lobster Salad in my earlier post. If it's too pronounced and gets in the way, what I usually do is blow or fan the smoke away while snapping. If you don't mind the stare, the air blower is very useful here Do avoid high-angle or shooting from the top of the subject. The smoke can also be reduced/eliminated in post processing. Most of my close up shots are taken in 40-50mm hence no fogging issue.
    Last edited by asthio88; 8th February 2012 at 01:11 PM.

Jahat! me oso joking what
    cc say thx ah for the remote, compatible with hers so can use liao

Chill, just a joke
    Thn again, still gotta control even on festivities

Hi Wacky, thanks for dropping by and your kind comments.

Imho, a lil smoke (as long as it does not obstruct the main subject) does sometime add value to the photo like the Lobster Salad in my earlier post. If it's too pronounced and gets in the way, what I usually do is blow or fan the smoke away while snapping. If you don't mind the stare, the air blower is very useful here Do avoid high-angle or shooting from the top of the subject. The smoke can also be reduced/eliminated in post processing. Most of my close up shots are taken in 40-50mm hence no fogging issue.
    ah... that lobster salad it's dry ice "smoke" right...?? i guess that is perfectly all right... but i think more often than not the steam from hot food would spoil the photo huh...? LOL bring air blower to blow the steam away is abit kuazhang... and yah i guess have to take photos from an angle (typically i dun like taking food photos from the top anyway)... but aperture cannot set too wide else will end up with too narrow DOF huh...?

regards,
    wacky

Page 15 of 36 FirstFirst ... 51013141516172025 ... LastLast