Page 13 of 36 FirstFirst ... 3811121314151823 ... LastLast

Thread: Bon Appétit

Default Bao (包) or Buns

Bao (包) or Bao Zi (包子)

Bao (包) or bao zi (包子) is a typed of steamed or baked fluffy bun made from wheat flour with fillings ranging from meat to vegetables to many different type of pastes. It is similar to the traditional mantou (馒头) which is popular in the northern part of China and mostly without fillings.

Char Siu Bao or Cha Shao Bao (叉烧包) is the most popular bun and is filled with Cantonese barbecued pork or char siu ((叉烧). It is usually white if steamed and golden-brown when baked with a light sugar glaze coating.

Lai Wong Bao/Nai Huang Bao (奶黃包) or Liu Sha Bao are buns with sweet yellow egg custard and salted duck egg’s yolk fillings. And I must say that this is probably the best custard buns I have ever had; the bun was fluffy and the fillings was rich and strong.

Thanks for viewing & have a pleasant weekend!
    CnC are welcomed and appreciated!

Default Bing (饼) or Pancake

Cong You Bing (葱油饼)
    or Green Onion Pancake
    is made from dough and folded with oil and minced scallions (green onions).

Lian 0u Jiu Cai Bing (莲藕韭菜饼) or Lotus Green Chives Pancake

Thanks for viewing
    CnC are welcomed and appreciated

Default Re: Bing (饼) or Pancake

Really got lotus inside pancake ah? Very special wor, nevr try before.

Quote Originally Posted by asthio88 View Post

Lian 0u Jiu Cai Bing (莲藕韭菜饼) or Lotus Green Chives Pancake

Thanks for viewing

Default Re: Bing (饼) or Pancake

Quote Originally Posted by Janetleeyj View Post
    Really got lotus inside pancake ah? Very special wor, nevr try before.

Yup, mixture of chopped lotus (roots?), chives and minced meat. With the addition, it's kinda 'crunchy' and have more texture.
    Last edited by asthio88; 11th January 2012 at 05:52 PM.

Default Phoenix Claws (凤爪)

Phoenix claws or Feng Zhao/Fung Zau (凤爪)

are chicken feet; deep fried and steamed which make them puffy, then stewed and simmered in a sauce of black fermented beans, bean paste, sugar, abalone sauce and garnished with chili.

Thanks for viewing

Default Re: Bao (包) or Buns

[COLOR="#0000CD"]

oh...This is good stuff Look at it drip!!!

Quote Originally Posted by asthio88

Yes bro, this is the one I was saying better thn Victor's. It was really good
    So evil... Thinking of going Taiwan for holiday this year... But you're making me having 2nd thought lol

Default Meatballs (肉球)

Steamed Meatballs (肉球)

are made from finely minced pork or beef with spring onions, mushroom, chives and shaped into balls and then steamed on top of a thin beancurd skin.

Thanks for viewing

Default Re: Bon Appétit

Hahaha... Evil is my middle name
    No need 2nd thought, Taiwan is a great place not only for food, they have much more varieties and many are uniquely TW.
    Personally, I feel TW is equally good (or might be even better) thn HK, really depends on what you are looking for. Are you going free n easy?

You may want to visit (the newly opened?) Shilin market, unfortunately not all the original food stalls will be there. I love the tempura, sausage, oyster omelet, fried buns (生煎包) and the super size fried chicken fillet (called something like 'big big fillet/大大鸡排). The food was fantastic and price was really good too

Yup normally going F&E, don't have to rush.

Actually I just went to Taipei last year and frankly speaking I don't find the food there suit me...or is it just me that don't know where to find the nice food
    The chicken fillet is the super long queue 豪大大鸡排 right haha The only food I really enjoyed at Shilin Market is the steak but can't remember the name. Very big steak haha

I also miss HK wanton noodle ...
    BBK shark fin soup...
    Bali babi guling...
    and Japan food hahaa

So many place to go...so little cash!!!

Quote Originally Posted by ntheni View Post
    Yup normally going F&E, don't have to rush.

Actually I just went to Taipei last year and frankly speaking I don't find the food there suit me...or is it just me that don't know where to find the nice food
    The chicken fillet is the super long queue 豪大大鸡排 right haha The only food I really enjoyed at Shilin Market is the steak but can't remember the name. Very big steak haha

I also miss HK wanton noodle ...
    BBK shark fin soup...
    Bali babi guling...
    and Japan food hahaa

So many place to go...so little cash!!!
    Yeah that's the one, 豪大大鸡排!! The queue was long but moving fast, in fact most of the good food stalls had super long q bt it was worth waiting Agree it's personal preference, personally, I find the food in Taiwan quite nice.

Very true; so many places to go, so many nice food to try but so lil cash (and perhaps time too)
    Yup...precisely...and agreed with you both on the "so many...but so..."...wait, stil got some more of '...so much weight gain liao-lor...' hohohor...&...hahahaaa...!!!!!
    Anything that can take pictures...happy already lor...(..but...Hasselblad_H5D-50 as my Workhorse)

Default Wanton/Char Siew Noodles

Wanton/Char Siew Noodles

This is taken from one of my favorite Wanton or Char Siew Noodles stall in East Coast Park (the others are in Tiong Bahru and Lavender FC). I love the charsiew or chashao (barbecued meat) which were charcoal roasted in the stall itself. Kinda disappointed this time round; the charsiew was a lil too dry, noodles weren't chewy and the sauce tasted different. I guess this is always the issue when handing over to the next generation and hopefully it will get better.

Quote Originally Posted by asthio88
    Wanton/Char Siew Noodles

This is taken from one of my favorite Wanton or Char Siew Noodles stall in East Coast Park (the others are in Tiong Bahru and Lavender FC). I love the charsiew or chashao (barbecued meat) which were charcoal roasted in the stall itself. Kinda disappointed this time round; the charsiew was a lil too dry, noodles weren't chewy and the sauce tasted different. I guess this is always the issue when handing over to the next generation and hopefully it will get better.

This stall used to be famous because of the charcoal char siew... Sweet and nice but now Haiz....

you're so bad bro... you make me hungry

very nice food.. eh i mean pic

Default Re: Wanton/Char Siew Noodles

Omg!! Super supr yummmmy wor. Make me drool and want to eat now
    But hor where got wonton mee have so many meat one, you jia liao issit?

Wanton/Char Siew Noodles

Quote Originally Posted by ntheni View Post
    This stall used to be famous because of the charcoal char siew... Sweet and nice but now Haiz....
    Yeah exactly. This stall has been on top of my list since the late 90s and my family made it a must to have it each time we were in ECP FC. I am not sure whether they are still roasting the charsiew in the premises but the quality and taste is definitely a far cry from what it was. Well I am still going to eat it once a while, perhaps not as often as I used to. It's a pity, really...

Quote Originally Posted by blueskye168 View Post
    Yup...precisely...and agreed with you both on the "so many...but so...".wait, stil got some more of '...so much weight gain liao-lor...' hohohor...&...hahahaaa...!!!!!
    Nooooo!!! Cannot afford the 'weight gain' no more
    Then again, it's easier said than done when faced with (good) food.

Default Re: Wanton/Char Siew Noodles

Quote Originally Posted by counterfeit View Post
    you're so bad bro... you make me hungry

very nice food.. eh i mean pic
    Hi counterfeit, thanks for dropping by. I am glad you like them

Quote Originally Posted by Janetleeyj View Post
    Omg!! Super supr yummmmy wor. Make me drool and want to eat now
    But hor where got wonton mee have so many meat one, you jia liao issit?
    It was ok and could (should) be better. Nah, no extra. I ordered the $5 (they have $3 & $4 too). You know what, they used to serve even (a lot) more charsiew years back

Default Satay Bee Hoon

Satay Bee Hoon

Satay Bee Hoon is a typical example of mixed cultural cuisine; it is a combination of Malay style chili peanut sauce (similar to the one used in satay) and the Chinese style rice vermicelli (bee hoon). The sauce is spread on top of the bee hoon and served with vegetables (mainly kang kong), bean sprouts, pork slices, prawns, cuttlefish and cockles. This dish was taken from a popular stall in Maxwell FC.

Thanks for viewing

Default Re: Satay Bee Hoon

Waoh...Ulalahhh.....ISatay-Beehoon leh...but hor...aiyo sooo long never eat liao...hmmm...must go eat now...yes immediately...hahaha!!!!!

Btw, PMed you our 'future-venture'...!!!
    Anything that can take pictures...happy already lor...(..but...Hasselblad_H5D-50 as my Workhorse)

Default Home-cooked ~ Mixed Vegetables

Stir Fried Mixed Vegetables in Rice Wine

Thanks for viewing

Last edited by asthio88; 17th January 2012 at 10:21 PM.

Default Beancurd Tarts

Beancurd Tarts

My family favorite tarts....
    "Encased in a thin cup of buttery pastry, the tart with its satin smooth soya bean filling, complete with a hint of almond and a delicate fragrance...."
    (Gold Award)— Sweetest things
    Singapore’s Best Desserts 2005

Thanks for viewing

Page 13 of 36 FirstFirst ... 3811121314151823 ... LastLast