Thread: Small(est) Hotshoe Flash WITH Manual Settings

Question Small(est) Hotshoe Flash WITH Manual Settings

Hi all,

I've been toying with the idea of a multi-flash setup for macro work for some time now. The itch started when I saw Nikon's R1C1 being wireless. But the drawbacks of the tiny flash units (SB-R200 which are about GN10, ISO100, in metres) are that you can't mount it on hotshoes and fire it on-camera.

I'm wondering if there are any similarly sized flashes that ARE shoe-mountable, and with adjustable power settings. At the moment, the closest I've got are my 2 SB-30's at GN16 (ISO100 in metres) with adjustable output: 1/1, 1/8, and 1/32. If I can rig it to be near the front of my lens, I can trigger them in manual mode using RF triggers. But I'm just wondering, y'know, if there are third parties that have managed to reverse-engineer Nikon's iTTL, made it tiny, given it a hotshoe, and selling it cheap(er).

Thanks in advance for all input!
    incywincyspider climbup the waterspout...

Blog Entries

Default Re: Small(est) Hotshoe Flash WITH Manual Settings

Quote Originally Posted by karnage View Post
    Hi all,

I've been toying with the idea of a multi-flash setup for macro work for some time now. The itch started when I saw Nikon's R1C1 being wireless. But the drawbacks of the tiny flash units (SB-R200 which are about GN10, ISO100, in metres) are that you can't mount it on hotshoes and fire it on-camera.

I'm wondering if there are any similarly sized flashes that ARE shoe-mountable, and with adjustable power settings. At the moment, the closest I've got are my 2 SB-30's at GN16 (ISO100 in metres) with adjustable output: 1/1, 1/8, and 1/32. If I can rig it to be near the front of my lens, I can trigger them in manual mode using RF triggers. But I'm just wondering, y'know, if there are third parties that have managed to reverse-engineer Nikon's iTTL, made it tiny, given it a hotshoe, and selling it cheap(er).

Thanks in advance for all input!
    All the small 3rd party flashes out there are cheap manual flashes... no TTL iTTL or CLS.

Default Re: Small(est) Hotshoe Flash WITH Manual Settings

Hey there! Sorry, work has been crazy these days.

Anyways, I actually don't mind cheap manual flashes, as long as I'm able to adjust the output to be consistent. Like 1/1, 1/2, 1/4, 1/8, 1/16, 1/32... etc. Of course, I'm aware that how low it can go depends on the GN. But as long as I can get a fixed low(ish) output, I'm glad. =) My SB30's fit the bill, but I'm just wondering if there are alternatives out there.

Thanks!
    incywincyspider climbup the waterspout...