Thread: Night photography

Default Night photography

Shot is not being processed in anyway except batch re-size and borders.

1. In which area is critique or feedback to be given?
    Composition, exposure, if possible what sort of pp needed to be done to improve on the pics.

2. What were you hoping to achieve with this image?
    reflection of light, starburst effect on bright light source

3. Under what circumstance was the picture taken? (physical conditions/emotions)
    Shot @ around 8.30 near the floating platform

4. Thread-starter's personal thoughts about the image?
    I feel its quite much what i have hoped but would like to have more comments on tips to improve my skills for night photography

comments and critics are welcome... thanks a lot.
    Last edited by MarineX; 18th March 2011 at 04:15 PM.

Default Re: Night photography

Exposure seems good, good view of the entire city. water looks pretty still, skies are good too with a tad of blue.

Maybe its me, i will prefer a slight little more sharpening.

Overall, good shot my friend
    Last edited by wilb87; 10th March 2011 at 12:24 PM.
    Visit me on Flickr!

Quote Originally Posted by wilb87 View Post
    Exposure seems good, good view of the entire city. water looks pretty still, skies are good too with a tad of blue.

Maybe its me, i will prefer a slight little more sharpening.

Overall, good shot my friend
    The shot is not being processed in anyway except batch re-size and borders.

Really love the colours and the 'bokeh' reflection. What's the settings on this? Also what's your setup?

would move a little (200m?) to the right though, seems like something got cut off with the 'lotus' blocking. :x
    My Flickr
    ~Neko baka

Quote Originally Posted by bonrya View Post
    Really love the colours and the 'bokeh' reflection. What's the settings on this? Also what's your setup?

would move a little (200m?) to the right though, seems like something got cut off with the 'lotus' blocking. :x
    20s, f11

will heed that advise

thanks.

forgive me for my newbie question but I am kinda curious about this.

did you use a filter like CPL?
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/57458156@N00/

Quote Originally Posted by somefriendyouare View Post
    forgive me for my newbie question but I am kinda curious about this.

did you use a filter like CPL?
    Nope ...

Quote Originally Posted by MarineX View Post
    The shot is not being processed in anyway except batch re-size and borders.
    hmm.. did you happen to use a wired/wireless trigger for this image? or maybe some form of shake on the body/tripod caused what appears to be softness on this image.

but still, love the colors of the CBD.

cheers!

Quote Originally Posted by mikeyjayy View Post
    hmm.. did you happen to use a wired/wireless trigger for this image? or maybe some form of shake on the body/tripod caused what appears to be softness on this image.

but still, love the colors of the CBD.

cheers!
    nope. i set a timer though.

thanks

Hi MarineX,

Just feel that there are some composition that you should adjust to jab in more wow factor.

Suggest you try zooming in a little, first to remove the yellow glass structure on the left as it a distracting figure and also cut off those dark area on the right after the Fullerton hotel.

Just a liittle bad news for you, is that your horizon had divide the photo into halves and this is one of the big "Don't" in composition. If you are going to point the camera more toward the sea and show the whole mesuem reflection will make your picture better.

Hope that will help you more in your photography.

Thank you

Quote Originally Posted by vincybaby View Post
    Hi MarineX,

Just feel that there are some composition that you should adjust to jab in more wow factor.

Suggest you try zooming in a little, first to remove the yellow glass structure on the left as it a distracting figure and also cut off those dark area on the right after the Fullerton hotel.

my guess is that this image was taken on one of the pods on the Helix. now that's a bad idea. anytime a huge, heavy vehicle drives on the bridge next to the helix, it'll shake. and moronic kids who like to jump up and down on the bridge make it shake too. it all depends on your luck and that's probably why your picture looks OOF and soft.

Just a liittle bad news for you, is that your horizon had divide the photo into halves and this is one of the big "Don't" in composition. If you are going to point the camera more toward the sea and show the whole mesuem reflection will make your picture better.

Thank you
    IMO, not all pictures need to follow the Rule of Thirds all the way to the ends of the earth. it does help with composition, but it's not everything.

also, if you looked before typing, the yellow glass structure can't be removed from that angle by zooming in. it intersects with the part of the "lotus". changing angles and positions, you would still capture parts of the MBS.

@TS: my opinion is, if you can't remove it, add it to the overall composition of the image. also like what Bonrya said, move to the right. by having that building sticking out of the lotus is not really a distraction but it looks out of place. don't chop the buildings into half either. and your horizon's tilted as well.

also you shot this at 8.30pm? are you sure? looks more like a sunset shot to me. the sky's never this blue at 8.30pm at night. at least, never in singapore. the latest i've ever seen a sky like this was 7.50pm. the colors in the sky disappear pretty fast.
    Last edited by kei1309; 13th March 2011 at 02:17 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by kei1309 View Post
    IMO, not all pictures need to follow the Rule of Thirds all the way to the ends of the earth. it does help with composition, but it's not everything.

also, if you looked before typing, the yellow glass structure can't be removed from that angle by zooming in. it intersects with the part of the "lotus". changing angles and positions, you would still capture parts of the MBS.

@TS: my opinion is, if you can't remove it, add it to the overall composition of the image. also like what Bonrya said, move to the right. by having that building sticking out of the lotus is not really a distraction but it looks out of place. don't chop the buildings into half either. and your horizon's tilted as well.

also you shot this at 8.30pm? are you sure? looks more like a sunset shot to me. the sky's never this blue at 8.30pm at night. at least, never in singapore. the latest i've ever seen a sky like this was 7.50pm. the colors in the sky disappear pretty fast.
    to be exact? 8.49pm.

by moving to the right wouldn't i be seeing more of the buildings on the right?

but stil, thanks for the comment, i will improve on that

Hi MarineX,

Thank you
    thanks, will take note on that.

Hi MarineX,

Thank you
    The problem with zooming in will be a loss of balance in the frame, there also would be less breathing space on the left and right side, making the whole image look very cramped up and tight.

Probably a new angle will help.
    Visit me on Flickr!

The problem with zooming in will be a loss of balance in the frame, there also would be less breathing space on the left and right side, making the whole image look very cramped up and tight.

yeap, that i agree.

Well make sense and accept your comment : )

Quote Originally Posted by MarineX View Post
    to be exact? 8.49pm.

by moving to the right wouldn't i be seeing more of the buildings on the right?

but stil, thanks for the comment, i will improve on that
    moving to the right doesn't mean you have to shoot at the same angle dude.

by the way...8.50pm and the sky's still this nice? coolness. what date was this? hmmm i think the world's going crazy. the weather's been pure confusion these days.

that white patch of reflection on the water is disturbing and the white structure just couldn't yet blend into the city scape