Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 21 to 40 of 40

Thread: Buying a dslr from the right place.

  1. #21

    Default Re: Buying a dslr from the right place.

    Quote Originally Posted by Fit44 View Post
    8G SD card is getting cheaper everyday, lowest price is $19.90 at this moment from Giant & Mustafa.
    Those are horrendously slow cards. Capacity is not the most important thing believe it or not.
    Alpha

  2. #22
    Senior Member ZerocoolAstra's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    rainy Singapore
    Posts
    9,523

    Default Re: Buying a dslr from the right place.

    Quote Originally Posted by Rashkae View Post
    Those are horrendously slow cards. Capacity is not the most important thing believe it or not.
    "horrendously slow" is subjective...
    Not everyone shoots in RAW and burst fires in continuous mode...
    Exploring! :)

  3. #23

    Default Re: Buying a dslr from the right place.

    Hi guys~ i am new~ interested in nikon D7000~
    IT fair seems to have a good promo~ what do u all think~ need ur opinion
    The goodies include Slik tripod, Kata bag, travel bag , E40D Cabinet 38 litre, AF 50F1.8 , Hand strap, 2 x 8 gb cards ,card reader, cleaning kit
    Purchase with purchase SB900 at 600 which worth 789~
    What do u all think~ should i get from here?

  4. #24
    Member Alan Chan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Singapore, Singapore, Singapor
    Posts
    561

    Default Re: Buying a dslr from the right place.

    Quote Originally Posted by JokerSeries View Post
    Hi guys~ i am new~ interested in nikon D7000~
    IT fair seems to have a good promo~ what do u all think~ need ur opinion
    The goodies include Slik tripod, Kata bag, travel bag , E40D Cabinet 38 litre, AF 50F1.8 , Hand strap, 2 x 8 gb cards ,card reader, cleaning kit
    Purchase with purchase SB900 at 600 which worth 789~
    What do u all think~ should i get from here?
    i dun know about the value of those freebies, but i can get a SB900 at 650 not 789.
    Nikon D700| 70-200mm f/2.8G VR2| 28-70mm f/2.8D| 85mm f/1.8G| 50mm f/1.8G| SB900/SB28| MB-D10

  5. #25
    Member Alan Chan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Singapore, Singapore, Singapor
    Posts
    561

    Default Re: Buying a dslr from the right place.

    Quote Originally Posted by ZerocoolAstra View Post
    "horrendously slow" is subjective...
    Not everyone shoots in RAW and burst fires in continuous mode...
    yep, but i'll rot while waiting if i got 8GB full of images to be transfered to my PC... haha
    Nikon D700| 70-200mm f/2.8G VR2| 28-70mm f/2.8D| 85mm f/1.8G| 50mm f/1.8G| SB900/SB28| MB-D10

  6. #26

    Default Re: Buying a dslr from the right place.

    Quote Originally Posted by Alan Chan View Post
    i dun know about the value of those freebies, but i can get a SB900 at 650 not 789.
    Thanks for that info~ i got lobang that sell 350 cheaper than IT fair if it had already include gst~
    Lobang goodies-8gb card and reader , nikon tripod and nikon bag + extra 350 saved money
    It fair- 2x 8gb card and reader , slik tripod , kata bag , travel bag , E40D 38L cabinet , AF 50mm F1.8 ,cleaning kit and hand strap~

    Questions in my mind:
    slik tripod VS nikon tripod which better or both not good?
    Kata bag seems better than nikon bag~
    AF 50mm f1.8 worth 229 + E40D 38L cabinet worth around 75-120 + 8gb card VS 350 dollars which one?
    Is E40D 38L cabinet enough for a newbie like me?

  7. #27

    Default Re: Buying a dslr from the right place.

    Quote Originally Posted by JokerSeries View Post
    Thanks for that info~ i got lobang that sell 350 cheaper than IT fair if it had already include gst~
    Lobang goodies-8gb card and reader , nikon tripod and nikon bag + extra 350 saved money
    It fair- 2x 8gb card and reader , slik tripod , kata bag , travel bag , E40D 38L cabinet , AF 50mm F1.8 ,cleaning kit and hand strap~

    Questions in my mind:
    slik tripod VS nikon tripod which better or both not good?
    Kata bag seems better than nikon bag~
    AF 50mm f1.8 worth 229 + E40D 38L cabinet worth around 75-120 + 8gb card VS 350 dollars which one?
    Is E40D 38L cabinet enough for a newbie like me?
    The slik tripod they are giving away isn't that good, it's under the budget series. 50mm f1.8 new cost around $190, dry cabinet around $120, you can weigh which on is better

  8. #28
    Senior Member ZerocoolAstra's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    rainy Singapore
    Posts
    9,523

    Default Re: Buying a dslr from the right place.

    Quote Originally Posted by JokerSeries View Post
    Hi guys~ i am new~ interested in nikon D7000~
    IT fair seems to have a good promo~ what do u all think~ need ur opinion
    The goodies include Slik tripod, Kata bag, travel bag , E40D Cabinet 38 litre, AF 50F1.8 , Hand strap, 2 x 8 gb cards ,card reader, cleaning kit
    Purchase with purchase SB900 at 600 which worth 789~
    What do u all think~ should i get from here?
    Don't know what the IT Show price is, so hard to say.
    If you know the value of the individual items, then you can easily do a side-by-side comparison...
    Free tripod is a waste of $ coz it doesn't support a DSLR well, and if you tighten too hard, you'll risk breaking one of the knobs or something, then your tripod is as good as junk.
    At least bag or cabinet or memory cards still usable.
    Exploring! :)

  9. #29
    Senior Member ZerocoolAstra's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    rainy Singapore
    Posts
    9,523

    Default Re: Buying a dslr from the right place.

    Quote Originally Posted by Alan Chan View Post
    yep, but i'll rot while waiting if i got 8GB full of images to be transfered to my PC... haha
    few minutes of waiting
    Still ok for me, since I almost never fill the card and I can do something else whilst the images are being transferred...
    Exploring! :)

  10. #30
    Moderator daredevil123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    lil red dot
    Posts
    21,627
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: Buying a dslr from the right place.

    Quote Originally Posted by ZerocoolAstra View Post
    Don't know what the IT Show price is, so hard to say.
    If you know the value of the individual items, then you can easily do a side-by-side comparison...
    Free tripod is a waste of $ coz it doesn't support a DSLR well, and if you tighten too hard, you'll risk breaking one of the knobs or something, then your tripod is as good as junk.
    At least bag or cabinet or memory cards still usable.
    Standard IT fair pricing... RRP!!

    http://www.nikon.com.sg/pagearticle....249-945ea6029a

    TS, just buy the camera at any other reputable shops for a much better price. The freebies come from Nikon, so whoever you buy the camera from, you will still be able to claim the same freebies. Please refer to the Nikon Price guide for the current market pricings of the equipment you are looking for.

  11. #31
    Member Alan Chan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Singapore, Singapore, Singapor
    Posts
    561

    Default Re: Buying a dslr from the right place.

    Quote Originally Posted by ZerocoolAstra View Post
    few minutes of waiting
    Still ok for me, since I almost never fill the card and I can do something else whilst the images are being transferred...
    i'll rot only if its a full 8GB of images... haha
    8GB = 8000MB
    the cheapest class 4 is about 4Mb/s

    so if its a full 8000MB (or near) would take
    8000/4/60 = 33mins
    Nikon D700| 70-200mm f/2.8G VR2| 28-70mm f/2.8D| 85mm f/1.8G| 50mm f/1.8G| SB900/SB28| MB-D10

  12. #32
    Member Alan Chan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Singapore, Singapore, Singapor
    Posts
    561

    Default Re: Buying a dslr from the right place.

    Quote Originally Posted by ZerocoolAstra View Post
    few minutes of waiting
    Still ok for me, since I almost never fill the card and I can do something else whilst the images are being transferred...
    i'll rot only if its a full 8GB of images... haha
    8GB = 8000MB
    the cheapest class 4 is about 4Mb/s

    so if its a full 8000MB (or near) would take
    8000/4/60 = 33mins
    Nikon D700| 70-200mm f/2.8G VR2| 28-70mm f/2.8D| 85mm f/1.8G| 50mm f/1.8G| SB900/SB28| MB-D10

  13. #33
    Moderator daredevil123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    lil red dot
    Posts
    21,627
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: Buying a dslr from the right place.

    Quote Originally Posted by Alan Chan View Post
    i'll rot only if its a full 8GB of images... haha
    8GB = 8000MB
    the cheapest class 4 is about 4Mb/s

    so if its a full 8000MB (or near) would take
    8000/4/60 = 33mins
    4mb is write speed la. Read speeds are way faster.

  14. #34
    Member Alan Chan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Singapore, Singapore, Singapor
    Posts
    561

    Default Re: Buying a dslr from the right place.

    Quote Originally Posted by daredevil123 View Post
    4mb is write speed la. Read speeds are way faster.
    i thought manufacturers, like sandisk, only advertise on their read speed which is usually faster. like the sandisk thumbdrive i bought with 25MB/s read speed and 18MB/s write. they print the read speed big and bold, but the write speed print in fine... haha

    anyway thx for info
    Last edited by Alan Chan; 10th March 2011 at 01:53 PM.
    Nikon D700| 70-200mm f/2.8G VR2| 28-70mm f/2.8D| 85mm f/1.8G| 50mm f/1.8G| SB900/SB28| MB-D10

  15. #35
    Senior Member ZerocoolAstra's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    rainy Singapore
    Posts
    9,523

    Default Re: Buying a dslr from the right place.

    Quote Originally Posted by Alan Chan View Post
    i'll rot only if its a full 8GB of images... haha
    8GB = 8000MB
    the cheapest class 4 is about 4Mb/s

    so if its a full 8000MB (or near) would take
    8000/4/60 = 33mins
    if 33mins then I would definitely agree that it's too slow/long.
    But as DD said, I'm pretty sure the read speeds are much faster than 4MB/s.
    I remember chancing upon a review site that compared such specs
    Exploring! :)

  16. #36

    Default Re: Buying a dslr from the right place.

    Retailers have to incur extra expenses to sell at IT show. How to sell cheaper than those at the shops

  17. #37

    Default Re: Buying a dslr from the right place.

    I think IT Show I will only get memory cards for my camera. Haha.

    Don't bother to squeeze yourself in the over packed IT Show to get your DSLR. Waste so much time and effort just to get those crappy freebies. And the salesperson there hardly got time to entertain you 1 to 1 and give you good services. He will be busy entertaining 1 to 3 or 5. And don't bother asking them about technical or photography stuffs. Most of them are temp part timers. They know little about photography. They will just read out from their brochures to you. You are paying so much money but you are not getting any services. After purchase if any problem or missing items you gotta squeeze back in the IT Show to find them again. That will be a pain in the ass.

    Buy from reputable shops recommended in CS. Not only cheaper in price you also get better services. And you can spend your time slowly choosing and inspecting your equipments no hurry at all. Any problem after purchase just go back to the shop or call them to ask.
    | 5D Mark III | 24-70mm F2.8L MK II | 70-200mm F2.8L IS MK II | 600 EX-RT | Sigma 35mm F1.4 DG (A) |

  18. #38
    Member Alan Chan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Singapore, Singapore, Singapor
    Posts
    561

    Default Re: Buying a dslr from the right place.

    Quote Originally Posted by henry soh View Post
    Retailers have to incur extra expenses to sell at IT show. How to sell cheaper than those at the shops
    not entirely truth, you dont get that much potential crowd of targeted audiences elsewhere in one place, so the cost is justified with high sales volume. they still profit from market exposure and margin even if its lower per item. just that it may not apply to some products like DSLR.
    Nikon D700| 70-200mm f/2.8G VR2| 28-70mm f/2.8D| 85mm f/1.8G| 50mm f/1.8G| SB900/SB28| MB-D10

  19. #39
    Member Alan Chan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Singapore, Singapore, Singapor
    Posts
    561

    Default Re: Buying a dslr from the right place.

    Quote Originally Posted by ZerocoolAstra View Post
    if 33mins then I would definitely agree that it's too slow/long.
    But as DD said, I'm pretty sure the read speeds are much faster than 4MB/s.
    I remember chancing upon a review site that compared such specs
    nah, i'm just playing with the numbers... haha
    i only fill up my entire 8GB in 2 occasions, still i never regret spending on a class 10 card!
    Nikon D700| 70-200mm f/2.8G VR2| 28-70mm f/2.8D| 85mm f/1.8G| 50mm f/1.8G| SB900/SB28| MB-D10

  20. #40
    Senior Member edutilos-'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    The Universe
    Posts
    5,991

    Default Re: Buying a dslr from the right place.

    Quote Originally Posted by Alan Chan View Post
    yep, but i'll rot while waiting if i got 8GB full of images to be transfered to my PC... haha
    File transfers aside, there are times where you actually would use continuous mode. So it's a good to have.

    Same like good tripods, better cameras.. I think we should all acknowledge that it's nice to have good-to-have things, and we're all entitled to that... So some people have preferences for $1,000 tripods, $3,000 cameras - it's fine, as long as they know what they're doing and don't expect to have their photography improved by leaps and bounds from a simple upgrade. Same for cards. To me, a good card costs a lot less than many other good-to-have things in photography, so I'm willing to spend on card speed (though not capacity).

    Cheers.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •