Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Canon or Nikon DSLR which is better

Quote Originally Posted by HMC
    I am think of investing in a digital SLR. Any comment as to which is better Canon or Nikon.

wait for Minolta, got anti-shake, you only pay once for this technology. unlike like canon or nikon, the IS or VR is on the lens.
    Objection !!!

So is true that there are more Cannon around. Does that mean that it is easier to get accessories for Cannon DSLR compare to Nikon?

Correction, it is CANON not CANNON.
    Wonder who want to stand in front of me if I shoot with cannon?

So is true that there are more Cannon around. Does that mean that it is easier to get accessories for Cannon DSLR compare to Nikon?
    Yes, i think so too, in terms of second hand accessories/lens..

For me.... i have been using canon all ther while and so i am more familiar with the function....
    I think it depends on what you are more familiar with.... if you have been a Nikon user so Nikon function are more familiar to you....
    If you still cannot make a decision..... use your budget as your guildeline.....
    And also check out the price of the accessories.... cos you are sure to buy those at a later time when you want to play with more functions.... go with the one you can afford

Okay in all seriousness. Both are bigger systems than you will ever likely need.

There probably are more Canon users in the market overall, but at the sector which you might be interested in, Nikon might be the better buy. At another sector Canon will be the better buy.

Based on the fact that you seem to be starting out, I'm assuming you're aiming at entry level systems. At present, the Nikon D70 represents a much better buy than the 300D. So it's a moot point if you're only ever going to spend X on your photography and are not going to go beyond that level, then the other cameras and the rest of the system shouldn't bother you.

I'm a 300D user and i agree with Jed that D70 is a better camera than 300D.

D70 is a couple of hundreds more exp than 300D too. Are those better features worth ya hundreds of dollars?

Tried my friends's Canon systems (10D and 300D) and brought home the images and ddownloaded the images... well, what can I say, I still like Nikon best.

My first camera was Canon range finder (QL 17). It was great and function well. Now I am using Nikon, and it does not mean Canon is no good. Canon and Nikon will be running neck to neck in trying to capture market share by using their technology such as IS vs VR, SM vs AFS, etc...so in my opinion, it is your choice.

For entry DSLR, I agree with most reviews here that D70 may have more functionality than its Canon 300D.

Only good thing about canon is their telephoto lenses. sui ah!

len hook?

lens's hood?

or

lens's look?

what i mean sui was.. the image quality and also the lens's speed.

Quote Originally Posted by White Balance
    Me too . I am a 10D user.

If get Nikon , get D70 upward
    If get Canon , get 10D upward
    I think 300D with hack is not bad too? Though i havent tried! haha..

Oh, here's another reason, Canon got hack(at least for 300D) but not for nikon. keke

Quote Originally Posted by ordinaryless
    I think 300D with hack is not bad too? Though i havent tried! haha..

Oh, here's another reason, Canon got hack(at least for 300D) but not for nikon. keke
    Nikon users don't need one. keke

Quote Originally Posted by arikevin
    Nikon users don't need one. keke
    haha, well said..

lecia better (sell your soul to own the myth)

Quote Originally Posted by y0ngcheng
    70% canon user in this world..
    extracted from bus advert
    that bus ad came out quite some time before the D70 was released...

wah. This topic again.

Very simple, you go and ask around how many people switch from Canon to Nikon and how many from Nikon to Canon?
    The statistics and feedback is the answer.

It is a bit hard for consumer of brand A to criticize brand A. coz it seems like he made a wrong decision of buying this product. But to me, why bother?

Let's say Canon is better, I hope there will still people who buy Nikon. So Canon will not dominate the market and take advantage of consumer.
    Let them compete and bring down the price of DSLR and L lens.

Default Nikon or Canon?

How exciting. I remember those days of decision making
    Few points for your consideration...

(1) Not too sure if you are aware of "www.dpreview.com". Look at the review as well as the forums. Both Nikon and Canon are excellent systems. If u are considering low end DSLR, then I would suggest Nikon D70. If u are looking for mid range then it probably would be Canon 10D.

(2) When you invest in a DSLR, do look at the cost of the lenses, and the coverage that you need. These do add up. Do remember that lenses last longer than the camera body. In other words, 3 years down the road your 6MP DSLR would be obsolete, but your L series Canon lenses would not be. You could buy a 2nd DSLR body and continue to enjoy these lenses for long time to come.

(3) Once u invest in a system - you have to stick with it. It is very (very) painful to get out of it. I have experienced it . I was a Minolta SLR user for 8 years and owned multiple lenses, and I moved to Olympus DSLR - because Minolta doesn't have a DSLR.
    The reason why I choose Olympus E-1 is because 2 (excellent) compact lenses 14-54mm and 50-200mm provides me coverage of 28-400mm. If I were to move to Canon or Nikon, I would have to buy 3 lenses to get the same coverage.

(4) Also do you have friends who own DSLR and with whom you can share some of the (exotic) lenses? You may want to consider the same system that they use.... It helps.

Hope it helps. All the best.
    Naresh.

a canon ad reads
    "Over 70% of dslr users in Singapore and around the world choose Canon"

there are indeed more canon users out there. but you never know. whenever i go out, i am always surrounded by nikon users
    once, i went out with 5 guys. all 5 were using nikon...

Good to know that both is good. But is it true that there are more Canon user than Nikon (I was told by most camera shops)

seriously though. first you decide your budget. then you see which model from either brand you can afford. then you find one of the many brothers or sisters here that might be willing to lend you the camera to test.

camera salesmen - talk only. most salesmen are there to make a sale, not to know the products and the market inside out. (of course, some good ones do.) ask them whether you can TRY the equipment, most will say cannot.

and that's the most important thing. to get a feel of the equipment. that you are comfortable and happy with what you have. i've bought a few electronic goods before that look nice, highly recommended and all. then after purchase, i go home and play with it, only to find some damn irritating thing about the interface or the quality that i don't like.

canon and nikon are both good companies which make outstanding cameras. i like canon consumer/prosumer digicams - i used to own a powershot s30. would have kept it if i didn't need the cash. and i like nikon DSLRs. i own a D70.

find out what your preference is.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast