Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How to achieve a clear self-portrait

Default Re: How to achieve a clear self-portrait

erm... for Pentax you can use remote shutter.

you can select remote to AF before shooting.

meaning, when you hit the button on your remote control, the camera will focus again before it shoots.
    Last edited by MarineX; 9th March 2011 at 05:35 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by MarineX View Post

interesting... how do you know if the camera picks the correct AF point, or if you are standing at the exact point where the camera's AF point has been set to?
    Fujifilm X-Pro2 Graphite, X-Pro1
    XF 14/2.8, 18/2, 23/2, 35/1.4, 56/1.2, 60/2.4, 55-200/3.5-4.8

easy, adjust your settings to focus on "portraits" shot.

meaning = focus point will AF to your face before anything else..

it beats having manual focus without knowing where to aim (if you are working alone)

Quote Originally Posted by MarineX View Post

meaning, when you hit the button on your remote control, the camera will focus again before it shoots.
    I will try this as well. I've only started using the Pentax so I can't say I've explored all their options. Will look for this setting.
    emmavalentino.blogspot.com

Quote Originally Posted by blackpeace View Post
    I will try this as well. I've only started using the Pentax so I can't say I've explored all their options. Will look for this setting.
    no worries, you should head into the Pentax thread to know more about this wonderful camera

One of the better camera for new-comers of the DSLR world.

so ask your friend how it work?

when saying using manual focusing does not mean you need to focus on your subject manually by turn the focusing ring with your hand, you can still use auto focusing, after the focusing is confirmed, just switch to manual focus.
    do you really paying attention watching the video, and reading posts by other members btw?
    Shoot to Live, Live to Shoot
    www.benjaminloo.com | iStock portfolio

Quote Originally Posted by catchlights View Post
    when saying using manual focusing does not mean you need to focus on your subject manually by turn the focusing ring with your hand, you can still use auto focusing, after the focusing is confirmed, just switch to manual focus.
    do you really paying attention watching the video, and reading posts by other members btw?
    Not sure if you're referring to me, but yes I did watch the video, although the options he suggested other than the first required more equipment that I currently have. I did not use auto-focusing as I did not have an object/person of similar height to stand in for me.

In any case, I did the method of focusing on the tripod and then putting it back and taking the picture. It's not as clear but I suppose it's better than nothing.

Not sure if you're referring to me, but yes I did watch the video, although the options he suggested other than the first required more equipment that I currently have. I did not use auto-focusing as I did not have an object/person of similar height to stand in for me.

In any case, I did the method of focusing on the tripod and then putting it back and taking the picture. It's not as clear but I suppose it's better than nothing.
    you need some thing to stand in for you for focusing, try improvise, look around your house, there are many things which you can use, you can use a cloth rack, a ladder, a bamboo stick or or broom attach to a chair. don't really need a light stand, Wallace using it as there are plenty in his studio.

using the method of focusing on tripod works too, but unable to help you to compose yourself, unless you are shooting full length with wideangle
    Shoot to Live, Live to Shoot
    www.benjaminloo.com | iStock portfolio

just had a look at your blogspot site.
    Seems like you stand fairly close to a plain wall. Maybe consider making a object which you can stick on the wall (without damaging the paint of course ) that gives a contrasting pattern for the AF to lock on?
    Then switch to manual focus (so the focus doesn't run about).
    When you stand to pose, you will block this object out.

You do need to consider a few other points:
    a) Lighting. Currently looks quite 'flat' and uninteresting. But flash photography is really a huge topic.
    b) White balance. Some shots look more reddish, others are different tones. A bit disconcerting.
    Exploring! :)

Quote Originally Posted by ZerocoolAstra View Post
    just had a look at your blogspot site.
    Seems like you stand fairly close to a plain wall. Maybe consider making a object which you can stick on the wall (without damaging the paint of course ) that gives a contrasting pattern for the AF to lock on?
    Then switch to manual focus (so the focus doesn't run about).
    When you stand to pose, you will block this object out.

You do need to consider a few other points:
    a) Lighting. Currently looks quite 'flat' and uninteresting. But flash photography is really a huge topic.
    b) White balance. Some shots look more reddish, others are different tones. A bit disconcerting.
    Hi Zerocoolasia, actually the picture in the most recent post was taken by my sister. I experimented with self-portrait taking last night but didn't put any of those pictures up. But yes, I'm still trying to figure out the settings for taking a picture in the early morning.

Hi Zerocoolasia, actually the picture in the most recent post was taken by my sister. I experimented with self-portrait taking last night but didn't put any of those pictures up. But yes, I'm still trying to figure out the settings for taking a picture in the early morning.
    I think if you experiment with some settings and try repeatedly, you should be able to get decent results.
    good luck!
    Exploring! :)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12