Thread: What is Hue, Saturation, Contrast, Brightness, Gamma, Dynamic Range ?

Default What is Hue, Saturation, Contrast, Brightness, Gamma, Dynamic Range ?

We all heard about these terms "Hue, Saturation, Contrast, Brightness, Gamma, Dynamic Range" but in layman what do they actually mean ?

What I know (my concept may be wrong):

Dyanamic Range - the ratio between the brightest pixel and the lowest pixel. For a sunny day this ratio is 100,000:1 . DSLR dynamic range is quite low - for a 12 bit is 4096:1

Gamma - I know is set at 2.2 for Windows Computer. Not sure what is this other than that

Saturation - Saturation is the amount of a color. Increasing saturation purifies that color and brings it out, makes it stand out. Decreasing it draws that color out of it. Desaturating generally means removing all the color altogether

Contrast - Contrast in imaging is the difference between the lights and the darks in the picture.

Brightness - Has to do with the amount of light added to a picture - but then again is difference from Exposure.

Hue ?

Any one has other better layman descritpion ?

Default Re: What is Hue, Saturation, Contrast, Brightness, Gamma, Dynamic Range ?

Quote Originally Posted by DM101 View Post
    We all heard about these terms "Hue, Saturation, Contrast, Brightness, Gamma, Dynamic Range" but in layman what do they actually mean ?

Dyanamic Range - the ratio between the brightest pixel and the lowest pixel. For a sunny day this ratio is 100,000:1 . DSLR dynamic range is quite low - for a 12 bit is 4096:1

Gamma - I know is set at 2.2 for Windows Computer. Not sure what is this other than that

Saturation - Saturation is the amount of a color. Increasing saturation purifies that color and brings it out, makes it stand out. Decreasing it draws that color out of it. Desaturating generally means removing all the color altogether

Contrast - Contrast in imaging is the difference between the lights and the darks in the picture.

Brightness - Has to do with the amount of light added to a picture - but then again is difference from Exposure.

Hue ?

Some of your definitions (like dynamic range) are off.

Honestly? Have you tried google? This is all explained REALLY WELL with many many screenshots on many many pages.
    Alpha

Default Re: What is Hue, Saturation, Contrast, Brightness, Gamma, Dynamic Range ?

Quote Originally Posted by DM101 View Post

Hue ?

on DR

hmm... ok.. u picture a mountain, this mountain is your scene. So there is such a term known as scene DR. Your camera has its own DR range.

There is a difference between contrast and DR... i have read in Michael Freeman's book and i don't quite get it also... anyway it is not so important...

On Gamma, now all are set to 2.2, even for Apple computers...

On Saturation, seems ok except for the word purifies...