Thread: Is there a defining line between amateur and pro?

Default Is there a defining line between amateur and pro?

As above, I was wondering is there a distinct line between an amateur and pro photographer? Is there a test to go through or something?

Cheers.
    The equipment can only bring you so far - the rest of the photographic journey is done by you.

Deregistered

no particular distinction, except the pro guys have more "atmospheric" studio shots that are not easily replicated?

depends on what line of work the pro is working in.

if you really want a defining line, let's put it this way

the amatuer does not use photography as a source of full-time income.

the pro uses photography as a source of full-time income.

Quote Originally Posted by sequitur
    depends on what line of work the pro is working in.

if you really want a defining line, let's put it this way

the amatuer does not use photography as a source of full-time income.

the pro uses photography as a source of full-time income.
    good point
    300D/5d2/40D/1d3/5D3
    17-40L F4, 28-70L F2.8, 24-105L F4, 50 F1.4, 70-200L F2.8

Quote Originally Posted by sehsuan
    no particular distinction, except the pro guys have more "atmospheric" studio shots that are not easily replicated?
    I have many many friends who are "Professionals" yet do not produce "More atmospheric shots that are not easily replicated"

TO ME: a professional photographer is a person whose profession is photography. That is the way he/she makes a living.

TO ME: it is not primarily the type of work, although a professional should be expected to produce better works than amateurs in order to justify people paying him/her.

TO ME: an amateur photographer is one that is in love (amore=love) with photography. The quality of work in amateurs varries tremendously. Some may have output that rivals or exceed many other professionals. While he/she may occasionally make some money from eg sales of prints of weddings, this is not his/her source of staple income toput bread on the table.

professionals earn their living from photography while amateurs do not. these words do not describe how skillful a photographer is.

Quote Originally Posted by showtime
    professionals earn their living from photography while amateurs do not. these words do not describe how skillful a photographer is.
    another good point....i'm sure we have seen some dubious pro but of course professionals who are able to continue to earn their living, would need to have some substance.
    300D/5d2/40D/1d3/5D3
    17-40L F4, 28-70L F2.8, 24-105L F4, 50 F1.4, 70-200L F2.8

Quote Originally Posted by nickmak
    As above, I was wondering is there a distinct line between an amateur and pro photographer? Is there a test to go through or something?

Cheers.
    Professionals take pictures to earn cash!

no. They just spell differently.

Professional photographers are photographers with great vision and take photos that match their vision.

Amatuer who only want to use pro gear and still produce amatuer result...
    Someone who is going "pro" and yet barely earns a decent living with his professional work...
    -
    Professional that can use any working basic gear he knows and produce professional result...
    Someone that make decent enough living with his skill and his work admired by so many people that make him difficult to switch to other field.

(@_@)

???!!!???

A Pro takes good picture that others will/should/must clap hands.
    A Amateur takes good picture for himself to clap...