Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 21 to 36 of 36

Thread: Best 50mm for Pentax DSLR

  1. #21

    Default Re: Best 50mm for Pentax DSLR

    The revuenon is truly something else.

  2. #22
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    "River end"
    Posts
    4,249

    Default Re: Best 50mm for Pentax DSLR

    Some of my shots with DA* 55mm F/1.4.










  3. #23

    Default Re: Best 50mm for Pentax DSLR

    Fa50mm f1.4

    @f2.8


    @f2.8


    @f2


    @f2
    ....

  4. #24

    Default Re: Best 50mm for Pentax DSLR

    The simple joys of the FA 50




  5. #25
    Member xxrenxx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Eunos
    Posts
    1,008

    Default Re: Best 50mm for Pentax DSLR

    The wonderful FA50 and my fav. 50mm lens.









    Nikon D7000 ~ my louya Flickr >.<

  6. #26
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Shunfu Road, Singapore
    Posts
    2,465

    Default Re: Best 50mm for Pentax DSLR

    Many thanks to all who have contributed. I like many of the very nice shots and I have in mind shortlisted two which I will take a closer look. I am still waiting to see some real life shots of the A 50f1.2 as I feel f1.2 is closer to 85f1.4 on FF. I have seen the F 50f1.7, what about the F 50f1.4? Anyone out there has either the ZK 50f.14 or the CV 58f1.4?

    Many thanks and cheers to all.
    Home is where the heart is.

  7. #27

    Default Re: Best 50mm for Pentax DSLR

    Quote Originally Posted by Anthony Lee View Post
    Many thanks to all who have contributed. I like many of the very nice shots and I have in mind shortlisted two which I will take a closer look. I am still waiting to see some real life shots of the A 50f1.2 as I feel f1.2 is closer to 85f1.4 on FF. I have seen the F 50f1.7, what about the F 50f1.4? Anyone out there has either the ZK 50f.14 or the CV 58f1.4?

    Many thanks and cheers to all.
    The F 50/1.4 is similar optically to the FA version. In fact most of the F series lenses are the same optically to the FA versions.

  8. #28
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Shunfu Road, Singapore
    Posts
    2,465

    Default Re: Best 50mm for Pentax DSLR

    Quote Originally Posted by pinholecam View Post
    The F 50/1.4 is similar optically to the FA version. In fact most of the F series lenses are the same optically to the FA versions.
    Thanks JK. I like your revuenon 55f1.2 as it has that classic feel for me. The DA 55f1.4 is also nice but has a totally different feel. My A 50f1.4 which I picked up from Frank has somewhat similar character so, I am looking forward to some photos of the A 50f1.2. I have been scouting most of the sites, especially the Pentax forum and I think I need to look at your revuenon 55f1.2 quite seriously. Reminds me of the days when I was on crop, I had eight 50s and it was really fun to play and learn of each individual lens character. I particularly like the painterly look of the OM lenses, and your revuenon 55f1.2 has some resemblance, quite similar to the Mamiya Sekor 55f1.4 that I once had.
    Home is where the heart is.

  9. #29
    Senior Member oceanpriest's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Ghim Moh
    Posts
    3,453

    Default Re: Best 50mm for Pentax DSLR

    Quote Originally Posted by Anthony Lee View Post
    Thanks JK. I like your revuenon 55f1.2 as it has that classic feel for me. The DA 55f1.4 is also nice but has a totally different feel. My A 50f1.4 which I picked up from Frank has somewhat similar character so, I am looking forward to some photos of the A 50f1.2. I have been scouting most of the sites, especially the Pentax forum and I think I need to look at your revuenon 55f1.2 quite seriously. Reminds me of the days when I was on crop, I had eight 50s and it was really fun to play and learn of each individual lens character. I particularly like the painterly look of the OM lenses, and your revuenon 55f1.2 has some resemblance, quite similar to the Mamiya Sekor 55f1.4 that I once had.
    Actually revuenon is rebranded cosina.
    http://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/l...-1-2-club.html
    http://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/p...worth-usd.html
    Last edited by oceanpriest; 9th March 2011 at 10:42 AM.

  10. #30
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Shunfu Road, Singapore
    Posts
    2,465

    Default Re: Best 50mm for Pentax DSLR

    Quote Originally Posted by oceanpriest View Post
    Hi oceanpriest, thanks for the links. So it's an old Cosina. Has the current CV 58f1.4 SL II any resemblance?
    Home is where the heart is.

  11. #31

    Default Re: Best 50mm for Pentax DSLR

    Quote Originally Posted by Anthony Lee View Post
    Thanks JK. I like your revuenon 55f1.2 as it has that classic feel for me. The DA 55f1.4 is also nice but has a totally different feel. My A 50f1.4 which I picked up from Frank has somewhat similar character so, I am looking forward to some photos of the A 50f1.2. I have been scouting most of the sites, especially the Pentax forum and I think I need to look at your revuenon 55f1.2 quite seriously. Reminds me of the days when I was on crop, I had eight 50s and it was really fun to play and learn of each individual lens character. I particularly like the painterly look of the OM lenses, and your revuenon 55f1.2 has some resemblance, quite similar to the Mamiya Sekor 55f1.4 that I once had.

    The Revunon/Tomikia/Cosina 55/1.2 is a nice and unique lens, but I must honestly say that I won't recommend it as the only '50mm' lens. It uniqueness is also its weakness in the form of CA wide open in high contrast situations (though most lenses suffer to some extent). OOF renderings can be a bit distracting at the circular edges. I'd not call it a portrait lens, but sort of a 'artistic' lens.
    The Pentax coating is certainly superior in terms of flare/haze control.

    I've compared center sharpness of this lens against the Pentax 50/1.4, 50/1.2. Sharpness is generally equal when focused right and with a proper hood. However, the Pentax lenses superior coating gives better contrast and therefore better apparent sharpness.

    In fact this is the case for most 3rd party lenses vs Pentax lenses.
    Tested a Kiron 28/2 vs M28/2.8 at f2.8 and though the Kiron was actually sharper in terms of actual captured detail, the M28/2.8 had better contrast which made it appear sharper on viewing (ie. not pixel peeping).
    Same thing with Cosina 24/2.8 vs K24/2.8. Normal usage, they are generally on par. Flare control, K28 beats the Cosina by a mile.

    I still have my mind on the Voigtlander. Or maybe my mind is on the models
    http://www.chiifcameras.com/site2/in...d=71&Itemid=68

  12. #32
    Senior Member oceanpriest's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Ghim Moh
    Posts
    3,453

    Default Re: Best 50mm for Pentax DSLR

    Quote Originally Posted by Anthony Lee View Post
    Hi oceanpriest, thanks for the links. So it's an old Cosina. Has the current CV 58f1.4 SL II any resemblance?
    VL 58 1.4 was based on topcor design. So, I think they are different.
    http://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/p...iction%5D.html

    http://forum.mflenses.com/tomioka-ze...gn-t22661.html

  13. #33
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Shunfu Road, Singapore
    Posts
    2,465

    Default Re: Best 50mm for Pentax DSLR

    Quote Originally Posted by pinholecam View Post
    The Revunon/Tomikia/Cosina 55/1.2 is a nice and unique lens, but I must honestly say that I won't recommend it as the only '50mm' lens. It uniqueness is also its weakness in the form of CA wide open in high contrast situations (though most lenses suffer to some extent). OOF renderings can be a bit distracting at the circular edges. I'd not call it a portrait lens, but sort of a 'artistic' lens.
    The Pentax coating is certainly superior in terms of flare/haze control.

    I've compared center sharpness of this lens against the Pentax 50/1.4, 50/1.2. Sharpness is generally equal when focused right and with a proper hood. However, the Pentax lenses superior coating gives better contrast and therefore better apparent sharpness.

    In fact this is the case for most 3rd party lenses vs Pentax lenses.
    Tested a Kiron 28/2 vs M28/2.8 at f2.8 and though the Kiron was actually sharper in terms of actual captured detail, the M28/2.8 had better contrast which made it appear sharper on viewing (ie. not pixel peeping).
    Same thing with Cosina 24/2.8 vs K24/2.8. Normal usage, they are generally on par. Flare control, K28 beats the Cosina by a mile.

    I still have my mind on the Voigtlander. Or maybe my mind is on the models
    http://www.chiifcameras.com/site2/in...d=71&Itemid=68
    JK, both the lens and model are nice. For S$ 600 with hood, the CV 58f1.4 SL II sure looks attractive. I have looked through the Revuenon 55f1.2 thread at Pentaxforum and it definitely has the character that I am looking for, quite painterly actually. Comparing it with the current 58f1.4 at Chiff, not sure it's PP or the lens look too clean and smooth.
    Home is where the heart is.

  14. #34
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Shunfu Road, Singapore
    Posts
    2,465

    Default Re: Best 50mm for Pentax DSLR

    Once again, many thanks for those who have helped to point me the way. After spending the whole morning at pentaxforum, especially on the FA Ltd thread, I have decided that it's best for me to go with both the FA 43 and 77 to partner my 31. I will keep my A 50f1.4 and stay with this set-up until I get the bug again. Cheers.

    PS: I will keep the thread open for the day to see whether anyone can change my mind.
    Home is where the heart is.

  15. #35
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Shunfu Road, Singapore
    Posts
    2,465

    Default Re: Best 50mm for Pentax DSLR

    Thread closed. Thanks to all.
    Home is where the heart is.

  16. #36
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Shunfu Road, Singapore
    Posts
    2,465

    Default Re: Best 50mm for Pentax DSLR

    Thread closed.
    Home is where the heart is.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •