Results 1 to 13 of 13

Thread: Kiron 28mm F2 SLR lens - how to use?

  1. #1

    Default Kiron 28mm F2 SLR lens - how to use?

    HI All,

    I just acquired the abovementioned lens and a Yashica FX-3 SLR camera. However, I'm not too sure how I could use the lens. And what can it be used for. My camera repair guy said the lens is a very unique lens and the image that comes out from it is very good despite that it is a very old lens.

    Can any pro out there tell me how i may use this lens more effectively?

    Thanks!

  2. #2
    Senior Member edutilos-'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    The Universe
    Posts
    5,991

    Default Re: Kiron 28mm F2 SLR lens - how to use?

    What do you mean "use this lens more effectively"?

    A lens is a lens is a lens. What you use it for depends on you. If there was "best way" to use a 28mm lens then photography would be pretty damn boring, don't you think?

    Suggest you read up more on basic photography, and actually start trying to use your camera after understanding the various technical points. The 28mm is a relatively wide lens - close to normal but wider (normal - 35mm to 50mm, normal refers to roughly equivalent to the human perspective when you are focusing on something). So it can be used for a whole load of things paired with a film camera, be it portraits, landscapes, and even macro, if you pair it with a close up adaptor and have a subject that doesn't move too much.

    I'm not sure why you are asking for limiting factors for the lens, only you could answer that, for what you use a tool for is limited by your imagination. You might as well ask how to use a 2B pencil more effectively - the response would be roughly the same, I expect.

  3. #3

    Default Re: Kiron 28mm F2 SLR lens - how to use?

    edutilos,

    i just wanted to make sure that i'm not misusing the lens as i'm still trying out the various lens that i have. if i were to give a 2B pencil to a kid to use, he'll probably use it to draw on the wall or even put it in his mouth or break it into pieces thinking that that's how it can be used. since i don't have the mount to put the lens on a DSLR, i'll have to wait for the film to be developed. and i'm not sure if i would know what i'm doing. am i to just randomly take pictures of anything? been reading up on "basic photography" in my opinion, but there's no way i can understand it until i use it. but sometimes i can't see the difference and technical points on photography to me is not so easy. so i ask questions here. e.g. macro is for taking anything small or close up, but if i dont know that's what a macro lens is for, then i'll be misusing the lens thinking its useless. same for the abovementioned lens. i'm not limiting its use. i just want to get started somewhere. hope you understand what i'm trying to say here. thanks for your comments...

  4. #4
    Senior Member edutilos-'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    The Universe
    Posts
    5,991

    Default Re: Kiron 28mm F2 SLR lens - how to use?

    Ok, please refer to this thread:

    http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/threa...EVERY-scenario!

    If you get the gist, you'll get what I mean. Let's not take analogies too far and compare a lens to a pencil so literally. After all, you're not a kid, and I don't think you want to put your lens into your mouth or break it. What you're effectively asking is what a focal length is good for. What is it good for? I don't know. Many things perhaps. I've listed down a few that I had used my old 28mm (paired with SLR too) for, it's up to you whether you wish to try it out. Like I've said, 28mm is not a focal length that's very limited. If you're talking about a 600mm lens, maybe so. What's wrong with taking pictures about anything, if you think it makes a compelling picture? The difference between a good picture and a bad picture is not the content or genre, but the lack of thought behind it, more often than not. Photography isn't a Primary 2 penmanship class where you just have a cut template laid out for you, and you just trace it to imitate the shapes after others have handed that template to you. Cheers.

    Quote Originally Posted by aloevera08 View Post
    edutilos,

    i just wanted to make sure that i'm not misusing the lens as i'm still trying out the various lens that i have. if i were to give a 2B pencil to a kid to use, he'll probably use it to draw on the wall or even put it in his mouth or break it into pieces thinking that that's how it can be used. since i don't have the mount to put the lens on a DSLR, i'll have to wait for the film to be developed. and i'm not sure if i would know what i'm doing. am i to just randomly take pictures of anything? been reading up on "basic photography" in my opinion, but there's no way i can understand it until i use it. but sometimes i can't see the difference and technical points on photography to me is not so easy. so i ask questions here. e.g. macro is for taking anything small or close up, but if i dont know that's what a macro lens is for, then i'll be misusing the lens thinking its useless. same for the abovementioned lens. i'm not limiting its use. i just want to get started somewhere. hope you understand what i'm trying to say here. thanks for your comments...
    Last edited by edutilos-; 8th March 2011 at 02:34 PM.

  5. #5
    Senior Member Elite77's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Sembawang
    Posts
    3,211

    Default Re: Kiron 28mm F2 SLR lens - how to use?

    Opps... I didnt read it carefully. I tot u wanna use the lens on ur DSLR camera but anyway,
    U can buy the adapter from lens.sg camera store in Peninsula Shopping centre. Its on the 1st floor just beside P&G camera store. But i guess u can only use it in manual mode. Which is manual focus as well as manually change your aperture. Hope it helps
    Last edited by Elite77; 8th March 2011 at 02:37 PM.
    D800E|105mm F2.8D micro|16-35mm F4 VR|Raynox 250|R1C1

  6. #6

    Default Re: Kiron 28mm F2 SLR lens - how to use?

    edutilos,

    like what you said, its the lack of thought behind. precisely the reason i dont want to just take photos, but i want to take photos with a purpose. hence starting this thread. i'm also not asking for a template. however, like i have a 100mm macro, i have learnt that its probably best for me to use F8-11 for the purpose of taking photos of jewellery. rather than just shooting at the object. maybe i used the wrong word. it should have been "to use the lens more purposefully". Thanks for your help in my quest to use the lens better.

    elite77,
    Yeah, i know it can only be used in manual mode though mounted on DSLR. but at least i could see the difference quickly when i change the settings so that i can also note down and remember how the lens can be best used in different scenario. may or may not get the mount though, cos i'd still want to use the SLR.. don't want to end up being lazy!

  7. #7

    Default Re: Kiron 28mm F2 SLR lens - how to use?

    Dude, I think you're overthinking things. As long as you're using it to take photos, you're using it for it's intended purpose. Mount in on your FX-3, find an interesting subject, look through the viewfinder, apply the 'rules' of composition and exposure (I say 'rules' cause they're not all hard and fast), and press the shutter release.

    I used to have the same model of lens on my Contax/Yashica system. Kiron was one of the better 3rd party lens makers then, and an f2 on a 28mm was not that common (most were f2.8). It was a good, if not spectacular, lens. But it's still a tool, so just use it.

  8. #8
    Moderator Octarine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Pasir Ris
    Posts
    12,422

    Default Re: Kiron 28mm F2 SLR lens - how to use?

    Quote Originally Posted by aloevera08 View Post
    edutilos,

    like what you said, its the lack of thought behind. precisely the reason i dont want to just take photos, but i want to take photos with a purpose. hence starting this thread. [..]
    That's not a Millimeter different from using any other lens, be it 20mm or 200mm. Whether you use f/8..f/11 for jewelry or f/4 for portrait with a 100mm lens is not a question of the lens itself but rather of purpose / subject and the specific effects of certain settings.
    EOS

  9. #9
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    sing
    Posts
    3,353

    Default Re: Kiron 28mm F2 SLR lens - how to use?

    Think I had such lens before long ago. Not now. Just use, lah. It is slightly below average. Not so great.
    Since U have FX3 Yashica. Try to get a cheap second hand Contax Carl Zeiss 35mm F2.8 lens. Never mind if it is Made in Japan and not made in Germany. Obviously with FX-3 U shoot film.

  10. #10
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Hougang
    Posts
    707

    Default Re: Kiron 28mm F2 SLR lens - how to use?

    Quote Originally Posted by aloevera08 View Post
    HI All,

    I just acquired the abovementioned lens and a Yashica FX-3 SLR camera. However, I'm not too sure how I could use the lens. And what can it be used for. My camera repair guy said the lens is a very unique lens and the image that comes out from it is very good despite that it is a very old lens.

    Can any pro out there tell me how i may use this lens more effectively?

    Thanks!
    Lots of uses, depends on your style too. You can shoot full body portrait with it. You can shoot landscape with it. You can set to hyperfocal and shoot street with it.

    Just mount it, load a roll of film and go out and shoot anything that catches your eye!

  11. #11

    Default Re: Kiron 28mm F2 SLR lens - how to use?

    Quote Originally Posted by aloevera08 View Post
    HI All,

    I just acquired the abovementioned lens and a Yashica FX-3 SLR camera. However, I'm not too sure how I could use the lens. And what can it be used for. My camera repair guy said the lens is a very unique lens and the image that comes out from it is very good despite that it is a very old lens.

    Can any pro out there tell me how i may use this lens more effectively?

    Thanks!
    The FX-3 is a full frame, or 135mm camera.

    Your Kiron is the start of the generally accepted 'wide-angles'.

    a 35/38 and sometimes the very slightly longer focal lengths, below 50 or 45mm, are likely regarded as a 'normal-wide-angle', and the 24mm downwards is the start of the 'ultra-wide-angles'.

    Look for articles on the web about using a 28mm lens on a 35mm camera, and how to best make use of it.

    Seriously, as Edwin Francis said, some are waaay over-thinking things.

    If you're not sure of the features of your camera and how to operate it, look here:

    http://www.butkus.org/chinon/yashica...3_7-splash.htm

    Have fun with a great camera and lens!

  12. #12

    Default Re: Kiron 28mm F2 SLR lens - how to use?

    Quote Originally Posted by Dream Merchant View Post
    The FX-3 is a full frame, or 135mm camera.

    Your Kiron is the start of the generally accepted 'wide-angles'.

    a 35/38 and sometimes the very slightly longer focal lengths, below 50 or 45mm, are likely regarded as a 'normal-wide-angle', and the 24mm downwards is the start of the 'ultra-wide-angles'.

    Look for articles on the web about using a 28mm lens on a 35mm camera, and how to best make use of it.

    Seriously, as Edwin Francis said, some are waaay over-thinking things.

    If you're not sure of the features of your camera and how to operate it, look here:

    http://www.butkus.org/chinon/yashica...3_7-splash.htm

    Have fun with a great camera and lens!
    Thank you very much for your explanation! In a way, that's what I wanted to learn about. Theres way too much information on the internet that may be repeated and of not much use sometimes. In this age of internet and stuff, its not always easy to just google and read.. Magazines aren't of much help if I want specific information. I've been trying out on the camera, but my most interesting subject (at least to me) is my little girl. So I'm shooting her everyday. But she grabs the camera all the time... I'm thinking of getting a toy camera for her to play with...

  13. #13

    Default Re: Kiron 28mm F2 SLR lens - how to use?

    Quote Originally Posted by ricohflex View Post
    Think I had such lens before long ago. Not now. Just use, lah. It is slightly below average. Not so great.
    Since U have FX3 Yashica. Try to get a cheap second hand Contax Carl Zeiss 35mm F2.8 lens. Never mind if it is Made in Japan and not made in Germany. Obviously with FX-3 U shoot film.
    The Contax Carl Zeiss 35mm F2.8 is also an SLR lens? I think maybe I'll stick to this one that I have first and understand it better before I make a purchase. Thanks for your suggestion!

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •