Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What's the draw to firework photography?

Deregistered

Default What's the draw to firework photography?

As above, what is/are the draw(s) of firework photography? Since it's fired so far away, it gives nearly no leeway to composition... similar to flying aircraft photography, as I earlier asked regarding Asian Aerospace.

Apart from exposure, can anyone please share, what's the draw about firework photography?

same as why i dun really shoot sport. just no interested.

for firework... the opposite. interested.

It guess because it's beautiful even by itself. Now i don't really shoot already, but i used to remember the fun in it when shooting. Every person also must go through once kinda thingy!

maybe it's the added thrill of capturing something tt lasts only awhile?

but personally for me i enjoy watching it with a loved one than taking pics of it...

well...the fact that the fireworks are being fired so far away...making composition so much more difficult...is alluring to me...the challenge of getting THE perfect shot prompt me to see harder and visualise harder...the fact also that the subject will only be there for a very limited time also increase the challenge by another degree...not to mention the dynamic nature of fireworks...changing all the time due to the weather...makes getting the perfect shot so much more difficult...heh...my THE perfect shot still eludes me thus far...but I know I'll get there if I keep trying and learning from all my lousy pics....

Default if you notice

its good to experience once cos although you can read so many tips from the books from from your friends (F11 lah, expose 5s lah...etc etc...but when the fireworks start, for sure, 80 % of us will hand like legs legs like hand...end up only pressing the trigger without much thinking...

as you noticed the recent increase of fire works shoots, conclusion:
    1) very similar shots of fireworks and that indoor stadium (very very standard)

2) over exposed and messy fireworks (i did heard from my shi-fu that fireworks in singapore sucks cos they just fire anyhow into the sky - causing too much overlaps and overexposed if not taken carefully.)

kind of get bored after seeing so many repeated similar shots. but of course got some really nice ones lah....

anyway, its really quite fun when you are battling your brains during that 10mins fireworks interval....

I am looking whereby we can have a foreground of a nicely lighted building and the fireworks at the background....more of a depth feel rather then the standard shots....

couldn't agree more man...but tats what makes an amazing pic stand out from a normally good pic...gotta see what others can't...heh...that's a real challenge indeed...

Default something like this ..but where to find xia..?

or

these images are linked to www.themeparks.com and www.visitdover.com

not taken my me..hhahahaa

Becoz it takes skill to prefect those lousy fireworks fired in S'pore.

Quote Originally Posted by MatthewSCL
    its good to experience once cos although you can read so many tips from the books from from your friends (F11 lah, expose 5s lah...etc etc...but when the fireworks start, for sure, 80 % of us will hand like legs legs like hand...end up only pressing the trigger without much thinking...

as you noticed the recent increase of fire works shoots, conclusion:
    1) very similar shots of fireworks and that indoor stadium (very very standard)

2) over exposed and messy fireworks (i did heard from my shi-fu that fireworks in singapore sucks cos they just fire anyhow into the sky - causing too much overlaps and overexposed if not taken carefully.)

kind of get bored after seeing so many repeated similar shots. but of course got some really nice ones lah....

anyway, its really quite fun when you are battling your brains during that 10mins fireworks interval....

I am looking whereby we can have a foreground of a nicely lighted building and the fireworks at the background....more of a depth feel rather then the standard shots....
    Though it fired far away, you can get close to it though.

Agreed with Matthew..Guess many have encountered this

1) Location to shoot
    2) Estimation of Arc of Fire
    3) Anxious Wait
    4) Some dry run black card method.
    5) First Fire(All press and release shutter)
    6) Many burst of fireworks, things started to get messy. Timing also get messy, heart also go up and down
    7) CF card can't write fast enough to keep with fireworks
    8) Smoke get into your eyes
    9) Curse and swear
    and many more.....

Quote Originally Posted by ransoma22

1) Location to shoot
    3) Anxious Wait
    6) Many burst of fireworks, things started to get messy. Timing also get messy, heart also go up and down
    9) Curse and swear
    and many more.....
    10) Rain and Thunder just after you have found a good spot and setup your tripod...etc

Quote Originally Posted by Wai
    10) Rain and Thunder just after you have found a good spot and setup your tripod...etc

how is it? shiok? climb down shears bridge and back up again

Deregistered

Quote Originally Posted by Wai
    reminds me of last year's NDP fireworks shoot, had the seawater creeping up the concrete platform at kallang...

the disney park photo was a great stunner.. but locally, if shooting from merlion park, there isn't too much of buildings etc to compose, is there?

Quote Originally Posted by zodnm

how is it? shiok? climb down shears bridge and back up again
    Tell me about it man.

For me, part of the draw is the challenge of getting a good shot. Fireworks are notoriously difficult to shoot, as someone had commented in one of the fireworks shoot threads, there is simply no fixed rules or guidelines to enable one to get a good shot, e.g you can't just say set your cam to aperture f8.0, shutter 5 secs, point the damn thing at the sky and just keep pressing the trigger. Fireworks shooting requires (to a certain degree) meticulous planning, scouting out/recce the possible locations, estimating the 'arc of fire', and also trying to find a delicate balance for exposure so as not to underexpose the city skyline or overexpose the fireworks etc etc. And not forgetting the long and anxious wait for the few hours before showtime. And somehow, no matter how many times you carefully check your focus, composition, settings, equipment, positioning etc, Murphy's Law still strikes. And then there's also the unpredictable weather to contend with, like last Sunday's.

Well, all of this is just part & parcel of the photography experience, getting 'the shot' is one thing but the entire experience plays a great part as well. The fun part is that when you go as a group of photogs, you get to "shoot the breeze" with them, and you get to relax and enjoy too, treat it like an outing of sorts. I mean, just imagine, how boring it would be if you could just sit down on your sofa at home and shoot the fireworks from your living room window all by yourself? And get picture perfect shots everytime...

In the end, its not just about taking the pictures, its about "being there" and fully soaking in the awesome visual and sensory experience that only a fireworks display can give. Given a choice, would you prefer to watch fireworks on a small tv screen with tiny speakers or experience it upclose and personal?

Quote Originally Posted by Garion
    Tell me about it man.

For me, part of the draw is the challenge of getting a good shot. Fireworks are notoriously difficult to shoot, as someone had commented in one of the fireworks shoot threads, there is simply no fixed rules or guidelines to enable one to get a good shot, e.g you can't just say set your cam to aperture f8.0, shutter 5 secs, point the damn thing at the sky and just keep pressing the trigger. Fireworks shooting requires (to a certain degree) meticulous planning, scouting out/recce the possible locations, estimating the 'arc of fire', and also trying to find a delicate balance for exposure so as not to underexpose the city skyline or overexpose the fireworks etc etc. And not forgetting the long and anxious wait for the few hours before showtime. And somehow, no matter how many times you carefully check your focus, composition, settings, equipment, positioning etc, Murphy's Law still strikes. And then there's also the unpredictable weather to contend with, like last Sunday's.

Well, all of this is just part & parcel of the photography experience, getting 'the shot' is one thing but the entire experience plays a great part as well. The fun part is that when you go as a group of photogs, you get to "shoot the breeze" with them, and you get to relax and enjoy too, treat it like an outing of sorts. I mean, just imagine, how boring it would be if you could just sit down on your sofa at home and shoot the fireworks from your living room window all by yourself? And get picture perfect shots everytime...

In the end, its not just about taking the pictures, its about "being there" and fully soaking in the awesome visual and sensory experience that only a fireworks display can give. Given a choice, would you prefer to watch fireworks on a small tv screen with tiny speakers or experience it upclose and personal?
    well said garion... this reminds me of an old wise man who once said' To experience firsthand the true beauty of fireworks is what counts. Getting the shot is just a bonus.'

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by ransoma22

1) Location to shoot
    3) Anxious Wait
    9) Curse and swear
    and many more.....
    some change frm landscape to portrait format halfway thro the shooting alzo .....

Quote Originally Posted by FOOXX
    some change frm landscape to portrait format halfway thro the shooting alzo .....

Me wanted to but didn't want to miss shots while fumbling with the gear in the dark, if cannot compose in time how?

BTW Fooxx where did u go to for last Sat and Sun ar? This weekend onz?

One word: Challenge

To be able to let them off even more shiok, i mean the real raw type and not electrical/electronic ignition. But be prepared to spend lots of money. But it's really a once in a lifetime thingy if you are able to....

I'm surprised you asked. Based on your criteria, just about all field sports and many other sports share many similarities.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast