Thread: Some night shots

Default Some night shots

#1, #3 and #4 taken with Canon D60 + Sigma 20mm/f1.8, Tv 30s, ISO 100. #2 taken with Canon 16-35L@16mm, thank Adam for letting me try this lens

nice.

but I find the super bright spots very distracting. Is there a way to reduce the appearance of the super bright spots in night photography? I am having the same problems in my night photos.

i like the 1st 2 shots .. but they look a bit not sharp to me ...
    See my Photo Gallery at the Clubsnap

Thanks chaotic and megaweb for yr comments

Originally posted by megaweb
    i like the 1st 2 shots .. but they look a bit not sharp to me ...
    Mega, it's the resizing problem. The original one looks very sharp on my monitor, though light is a bit diffused after long exposure. btw, it is soft indeed when comparing digital (esp. D30/D60 images) to slides. Slides are really painfully sharp

For a larger one (but still not full image quality, 8/10 in PS), look at here: http://www.photosig.com/viewphoto.php?id=95650
    Last edited by tomshen; 14th June 2002 at 10:22 PM.

Tomshen how do achieve the effects for pics 3 & 4?
    Thanks

i like the 1st pic best! Great work!

Originally posted by wiz
    Tomshen how do achieve the effects for pics 3 & 4?
    Thanks
    just stop down the aperture to f/16 or greater, and set the shutter speed for a long exposure

hmmm.... 1st and 2nd ones look overexposed to me when compared with my slides i took on the same day during the outing. The Fullerton Hotel is grossly overexposed. seems to only happen to digitals only

I set my camera to expose one stop over by shutter speed btw.

ok ok, tell u the truth and let u criticize me. The original shot was not overexposed even in the brightest light (see below), but the rest was underexposed (not surprising for night shots). Do you like the color? How fancy do u think a DSLR can achieve, huh? With my experience, any pic needs to be adjusted more or less out of camera. I set all default settings at normal and adjust them in PS. However, getting correct exposure in the first place is extremely important, no doubt. Sometimes we want to produce effect better than real. That's why pple apply filters for film and do PS processing for digital. In this case, I adjusted Level/contrast/brightness/saturation/sharpness in PS. Did I cheat anything? Let me know what you think and what you can do in a better way with the original pic.

Thanks! Tom.

Only resized.
    Last edited by tomshen; 15th June 2002 at 09:42 AM.

Default Re: Some night shots

Originally posted by tomshen
    #1, #3 and #4 taken with Canon D60 + Sigma 20mm/f1.8, Tv 30s, ISO 100. #2 taken with Canon 16-35L@16mm, thank Adam for letting me try this lens
    Shot 1: Over exposed, blown out highlights I'd suggest you wait until it's a bit darker before shooting. Quite nice otherwise.

Shot 2: When taking this type of shot make sure your horizon is level from side to side. Otherwise the same problems as shot #1

On a side note, Having to correct such fundamental errors in framing and composition in PhotoShop is NOT the sign of a competent phtoographer.

Shot 3: I can see what you're trying to achieve and frankly this shot is very ordinary, it's grossly over exposed to boot. For this kind of shot try shooting during late twilight rather than at night.

Pverall, not a bad effort for someone who's still a novice
    The Ang Moh from Hell
    Professional Photography - many are called, few are chosen!

Thanks Ian, appreciate your comments I agree with you that the #3&4 are very ordinary. I saw some better shots taken from a mountain so wanted to try the effect, however, the perspective I got was not good and I think it would be much better if I shot from a high-rise building.

Originally posted by tomshen
    ok ok, tell u the truth and let u criticize me. The original shot was not overexposed even in the brightest light (see below), but the rest was underexposed (not surprising for night shots). Do you like the color? How fancy do u think a DSLR can achieve, huh? With my experience, any pic needs to be adjusted more or less out of camera. I set all default settings at normal and adjust them in PS. However, getting correct exposure in the first place is extremely important, no doubt. Sometimes we want to produce effect better than real. That's why pple apply filters for film and do PS processing for digital. In this case, I adjusted Level/contrast/brightness/saturation/sharpness in PS. Did I cheat anything? Let me know what you think and what you can do in a better way with the original pic.
    hi tom!

i'm not criticising you. i'm just pointing out some areas where there are differences between my slides and your digital photos (although it's not really fair). however your edited photo may be an overkilled in terms of overediting. IMHO, it may be too much brightness and saturation. the result of the editing is just too "unreal". i feel that there should be an element of reality left after editing.

haha mervlam, that's maybe the dream colors at night in my dream. It looks too colorful to be real indeed, but I couldn't resist not doing it

In fact I do hope pple here can attack my shots more critically, like Ian did here. thx for your kindness to point out the difference, sincerely